This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Tampereen Särkänniemi Oy,|
33230 Tampere, Finland
|Owner||City of Tampere|
|Previous names||Neulan huvipuisto (different park at the same location 1973-74)|
|Operating season||April to September (rides area) /|
throughout the year
|Area||50,000 m2 (rides area)|
|Major exhibits||aquarium, children's zoo|
Särkänniemi is an amusement park in Tampere, Finland, located in the district by the same name. The park features an aquarium, a planetarium, a children's zoo, an art museum and an observation tower Näsinneula (Näsi Needle). Särkänniemi is the second most popular amusement park in Finland with Linnanmäki in Helsinki being the most popular one. Särkänniemi has five rollercoasters: the inverted coaster Tornado, the flying coaster Trombi, the family motorcycle launch coaster MotoGee and Hype, a launched steel Sky Rocket II coaster, and family coaster Vauhtimato ("Speedy Worm"). The half-pipe coaster called Half Pipe was recently remowed due to many reasons. Särkänniemi is owned by the city of Tampere and attracts about 1,100,000 visitors annually. Särkänniemi is the biggest rival for Linnanmäki as the lead amusement park in Finland. Both are about the same size. The park gave up the dolphinarium in 2016 and the dolphins were safely transported to Attica Zoological Park in Greece. The park has more than 30 rides and attractions. There are also two water rides in the park, a log flume called Tukkijoki and a river rapids called Koskiseikkailu.
Särkänniemi has been voted several times as the best leisure center and the greatest amusement park in Finland.
This multi-purpose park is owned by the city of Tampere and boasts a variety of rides as well as an Aquarium that was opened in 1969, a Planetarium that opened in 1969, a children's zoo that opened in 1970, a 168m tall Observation Tower that opened in 1971, Sara Hilden Art Museum opened in 1979, the Dolphinarium opened in 1985.
The amusement part aspect of Särkänniemi started in 1973 with the opening of Neulan Huvipuisto (Neula Amusement Park); in the beginning the park offered only a handful of children's rides. In 1975 the city of Tampere took over the operations of the fun park and integrated it into other attractions on the peninsula.
Located on the peninsula, about a kilometer from the city center of Tampere, that juts out into the Black Gulf. The area used to house three different breweries in the 18th century onward and in the 20th century a huge warehouse serving the log industry was built on the peninsula of Särkänniemi. These buildings were demolished in the 1960s.
The park is easily accessible by bus lines 4 and 16.
The 25-acre amusement park is not divided into specifically themed sections although one area is called Kiddie Land and in 2012 an Angry Birds Land was opened.
|Ride name||Type||Opened in||Manufacturer||Additional information|
|Hype||steel launched sit down||2017||Premier Rides||Reaches a speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) and a height of 46 m (151 ft) on a 260 m (853 ft) steel track with one full inversion (heartline twist, sky loop) and one twisted loop. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Sky Rocket II model, train 1x12. Under construction until spring 2017.|
|Motogee||flywheel launch sit down||2010||Zamperla||Reaches a speed of 68 km/h (42 mph) in just 2 seconds on a 364 m (1,194 ft) long track. Height limit 1.2 m (3 ft 11 in). Motocoaster model, train 2x5.|
|Tornado||steel inverted||2001||Intamin||Reaches a speed of 74 km/h (46 mph) and a height of 25 m (82 ft) on a 700 m (2,297 ft) long track with 5 inversions (loop, tunnel, cobra roll, heartline roll, heartline roll). Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Suspended looping coaster, train 2x12.|
|Trombi||steel flying||2005||Zamperla||Reaches a speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) and a height of 15 m (49 ft) on a 391 m (1,283 ft) long track with 2 inversions (heartline roll, heartline roll). Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Spiral lift Volare model, car 4x1.|
|Vauhtimato (Whirley Worm)||steel sit down||1984||Zierer||Reaches a speed of 26 km/h (16 mph) and a height of 3 m (10 ft) on a 60 m (197 ft) long track. Height limit 1 m (3 ft 3 in) / 1.2 m (3 ft 11 in) alone. Small Tivoli model, train 2x5.|
|Ride name||Type||Opened||Closed||Manufacturer||Additional information|
|Half Pipe||Steel||2003||2019||Intamin||Reaches a speed of 69 km/h (43 mph) and a height of 30 m (98 ft) on a 70 m (230 ft) long half pipe track. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Half Pipe model, train 2x8.|
|Jet Star||Steel||1980||2012||Anton Schwarzkopf||Reaches a speed of 50 km/h (31 mph) and a height of 13 m (43 ft) on a 538 m (1,765 ft) track. Height limit 1.4 m (4 ft 7 in). Jet Star model, designed by Ing-Buro Stengel, car 1x4.|
- X – Giant Discovery Revolution rotating 360° pendulum ride that opened in 2016; height limit 1.4m. Zamperla.
- High Voltage – Power Surge, high-impact thrill ride that opened in 2014; height limit is 1.3m. Zamperla.
- Waka – Disk'O Coaster that opened in 2009; height limit 1.2m. Zamperla.
- Take Off – Breakdance spinner that opened in 2006; height limit 1.3m. Huss.
- BOOM – Zamperla Z-Max drop tower that opened in 2019; height limit 1.4m. Zamperla.
- Rapids Ride – this Rapids Adventure ride was opened in 1999. Intamin; a 6-passenger boat journeys a 490 meters course with a tunnel and a waterfall.
- Log River – a log flume ride that opened in 1982. Reverchon, Tamperer; a 400 meter long course with 3 drops, the highest of which is 13 m tall.
- Audi Racing – bumper cars that opened in 1986. Reverchon.
- Funny House – walkthrough
- Gazebo – swing ride that opened in 1996. Gestlauer.
- Hurricane – giant swing that opened in 1991; height limit 1.2m. Mondial.
- Planetarium – opened in 1969.
- Troika – troika spinner ride that opened in 1975; height limit 1m. Huss.
- Viking Ship – swinging Viking ship that opened in 1988. Zierer.
- Ilmaveivi – wave swinger that opened in 1989. Zierer.
- Angry Birds – play area with kiddie rides that opened in 2012. Lappset / Rovio.
- Angry Birds Obstacle Course – obstacle course that opened in 2012. Lappset.
- Angry Birds Ride – Zamperla jump around that opened in 2012. Zamperla.
- Bounce Castel – bouncy castle for kids only.
- Candy Carousel – merry go round that opened in 1993. Bertazzon.
- Coffee Cups – spinning cups for kids only. Soriani&Moser.
- Convoy Truck Race – convoy trucks for kids only. Cosetto.
- Crazy Bus – crazy bus ride. Zamperla.
- Lady Bird – roundabout. Modern Products.
- Little Ladybird – mini roundabout for young kids only. Modern Products.
- Magic Bikes – magic bike ride that opened in 2008. Zamperla.
- Mushroom Race – roundabout ride. Modern Products.
- Old Timers – on track cars that opened in 1981. Ihle.
- Pavilion Carousel – carousel for kids. Modern Products.
- Piggy Train – mini train for kids only that opened in 1994. Zamperla.
- Pirate Ship – small swinging pirate ship. Modern Products.
- Red Baron – airplanes. Soriani & Moser.
- Regatta – roundabout boat ride. Soriani & Moser.
- Rocking Tug – rocking tug ride that opened in 2004. Zamperla.
- Turtle Train – mini train for kids only that opened in 1999. Zamperla.
Other buildings and places
- The Aquarium at Särkänniemi was opened in 1969. It has a total combined aquarium volume of 550,000 litres (150,000 US gal), and is home to more than 3,000 animals representing 200 species. The lower floor of the aquarium includes a mangrove swamp habitat that is home to monos, archer fish, gourami fish, rainbow sharks and blowfish.
- The Children's Zoo that opened in 1970 has over 30 different species of animals on show.
- Näsinneula Observation Tower that opened in 1971 is 168 meters tall and it has a restaurant on the top floor.
- Sara Hilden Art Museum opened in 1979 and has on display works from mostly contemporary Finnish artists.
- "Beautiful and delightfully dreadful things swim in the Aquarium". sarkanniemi.fi. Särkänniemi. Retrieved July 14, 2012.