Séance on a Wet Afternoon (opera)
Séance on a Wet Afternoon is an opera in two acts by Stephen Schwartz to a libretto by the composer, based on the novel by Mark McShane and the screenplay by Bryan Forbes to the 1964 film of the same name. The work, Schwartz's first opera after a string of Broadway musicals (Godspell, Pippin, Wicked), premiered on 26 September 2009 at the Granada Theatre of Opera Santa Barbara which commissioned the work. The work lasts for about 2 hours 50 minutes.
The work received its New York debut at the New York City Opera in April 2011, this time with an additional aria for the character of Myra in act 2. It was scheduled for an Australian premiere in 2012 at Opera Queensland; both companies were co-producers of the Santa Barbara staging. That project was however shelved in late 2011.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere cast, 26 September 2009
Conductor: Valery Ryvkin
|Myra Foster||soprano||Lauren Flanigan|
|Bill Foster||baritone||Kim Josephson|
|Arthur Foster, their son||Aaron Refvem|
|Mrs Clayton||soprano||Hila Plitmann|
|Mr Clayton||tenor||John Kimberling|
|Adriana Clayton, their daughter||Kelsey Lee Smith|
|Inspector Watts||bass||Craig Hart|
|Mrs Wintry||mezzo-soprano||Jane Shaulis|
|Miss Rose||soprano||Caroline Worra|
|Mr Bennett /Irish Tenor||tenor||Michael Marcotte|
|Mr Cole||tenor||Benjamin Brecher|
|Scenic designer||Heidi Ettinger|
|Lighting designer||David Lander|
|Costume designer||Alejo Vietti|
|Orchestrator||William D. Brohn/Stephen Schwartz|
|Copyist||Nathan Kelly, Don Oliver|
|Executive producer||Michael Jackowitz|
- Anthony Tommasini (April 20, 2011). "A Crime Lurks on the Dark Side of a Clairvoyant Realm". The New York Times.
- "Turf wars with operatic overtones" by Rosemary Sorensen, The Australian (8 July 2011)
- "Seasons 2010" at Stage Whispers
- "What is happening with Opera Queensland?", Opera Insider (1 October 2011)
- "Séance on a Wet Afternoon – Stephen Schwartz's First Opera"
- Séance on a Wet Afternoon review by Bob Verini, Variety (26 September 2009)
- "Opera review: Séance on a Wet Afternoon at Opera Santa Barbara" by Josef Woodard, Los Angeles Times (27 September 2009)