|Born||22 February 1975|
Le Plessis-Bouchard, France
Sébastien Tellier (French: [tɛlje]; born 22 February 1975) is a French singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. He represented France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008 with his song "Divine". He has also produced songs for Dita Von Teese and he composed music for the French films Narco and Steak, among others. He is currently signed to Record Makers, a French independent record label. He sings in English, French, and Italian.
Tellier's first album, L'incroyable Vérité (The Incredible Truth), was released in 2001. Tellier went on tour with Air in support of the album and was joined on stage by theremin player Pamelia Kurstin. L'incroyable Vérité is a pop album featuring styles from lo-fi electronica to bizarre cabaret tunes.
Since the release of Politics, Tellier has also recorded an acoustic album of his more popular songs, Sessions (2006). The album was repackaged for the British market as Universe (2006), to include both highlights from the French CD, as well as compositions from Tellier's score for the film Narco. This compilation included a cover of "La Dolce Vita", a song originally by French singer Christophe.
In 2007, he composed a few songs with Mr. Oizo, for the soundtrack of the film Steak, directed by Quentin Dupieux (Mr. Oizo himself). Also co-composed by SebastiAn, the soundtrack was released by Ed Banger and Because Music the same year. Tellier also appears in the film as Prisme, the man with the electric wheelchair.
His third studio album Sexuality was produced by Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo of Daft Punk. Like his previous album Politics, Tellier used a single term as title and theme of the album. Tellier's label Record Makers collaborated with retailer American Apparel for an exclusive three-month pre-release of the album, whilst American Apparel sold limited edition versions of the Sexuality CD, LP and "Divine" 7" and 12" single through their North American stores and website.
On 7 March 2008, it was announced by Bruno Berberes, head of EBU delegation in France, that Tellier would represent France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008. It was held in Belgrade on 24 May 2008. Tellier sang "Divine". This was the first time in the history of the contest that the nominated French entry was to be performed largely in English, which caused controversy, leading to Tellier pledging to increase the amount of French in the song prior to the competition itself. In total, the entry received 47 points.
His fourth album My God Is Blue was released in 23 April 2012. As the name suggests, the concept of this album is religion. Tellier is presented in this album as a guru, founder of a fictional sect called "Alliance Bleue". The album is entirely produced by Mr Flash and Pavle Kovacevic.
His fifth album Confection was released in October 2013. This was partially inspired by the death of Tellier's grandmother. Some of the music on the album was intended to appear on a film soundtrack, but ended up not being used. In an interview with artistxite, Tellier noted: "You can say my grandmother's death as well as this nonexisting soundtrack had an impact on “Confection“. To me this has been a super strange situation. I was full of love for my grandmother and full of dedication to this soundtrack; Confection is the result of both of these emotional conditions." In Spring 2014, Tellier performed a medley of tracks from Confection at the Chanel Haute Couture show at the Grand Palais. Tellier recounts that Karl Lagerfeld invited him to perform, having listened to the album himself.
His sixth album L'Aventura, was released on 14 July 2014. The album was inspired by the childhood and Brazil, where the video to its lead single, "L'Adulte", is set. This album, consisting of 10 tracks, is sung entirely in French.
In 2016, he composed soundtracks for the two French films Saint-Amour, directed by Benoît Delépine and Gustave Kervern, and Marie et les naufragés, directed by Sébastien Betbeder. The same year, he composed the music for the credits of the comedy show broadcast on Canal+, Groland Le Zapoï. The next year, he composed the soundtrack for the series A Girl Is a Gun.
In 2020, Tellier returns with a new single "A Ballet", released on 29 January, to promote his seventh album Domesticated, consisting of 8 tracks, which released on 29 May 2020. On 8 April, "Domestic Tasks", the second single released and "Stuck in a Summer Love" the third single on 19 May. The concept on this album is domestic life and this concept was born following his marriage and the birth of his two children. The album is produced by Corentin "nit" Kerdraon, Mind Gamers (John Carroll Kirby and Daniel Stricker), Jam City, Varnish La Piscine and Philippe Zdar (who died in 2019). Apart from this album, on 14 February 2020, he appeared as a featured artist on "Boycycle" by Salvatore Ganacci.
The same year, he released an album titled Simple Mind, in which he covered several tracks from his previous albums, Sexuality, My God Is Blue, L'Aventura and Domesticated.
Use of Tellier's songs
- The track "Fantino" from L'incroyable Vérité was chosen by Sofia Coppola for the soundtrack to her 2003 film Lost in Translation. Coppola also used the song "Look" from his Sexuality album in her 2010 film Somewhere
- The songs "Look" and "La Ritournelle" were featured in Ugly Betty's episodes "Crush'd" and "Dressed for success", respectively.
- "La Ritournelle" also featured in Joachim Trier's Oslo, 31 August movie soundtrack.
- The song "Universe" from the album L'incroyable Vérité is featured in the film Daft Punk's Electroma.
- "Divine" (as remixed by Danger) was used in the 2009 racing game Gran Turismo for the PSP.
- "La Ritournelle" is sampled in The Weeknd's single, "Kiss Land"
- "La Ritournelle" is the first of many final soundtracks used in the movie "One Way" – 2006.
- "Slow Lynch" was used by Top Gear in Seasons 13 Episode 3 (Ken Block's Airfield Rally Run).
Tellier is married to Amandine de la Richardière with whom he has two children.
|My God Is Blue||
|Steak (Music from the Motion Picture)
(with Mr. Oizo and SebastiAn)
|Narco (Original Motion Picture Score)||
|Marie et les naufragés (Original Motion Picture Score)||
|A Girl Is a Gun (Music from the Original Series)||
|Dita Von Teese
(by Dita Von Teese)
||Written and composed by Sébastien Tellier|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Fingers of Steel"||89||—||—||—||—||—|
|"L'amour et la violence"||—||—||—||97||—||—|
|"Cochon ville"||2012||69||78||—||—||—||—||My God Is Blue|
|"In The Crew of Tea Time"
(with Caroline Polachek)
|"Aller vers le soleil"||2014||—||—||—||—||—||—||L'Aventura|
|"Stuck in a Summer Love"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"A Mountain for President"
(featuring Sébastien Tellier)
|2007||Principles of Geometry||Lazare|
|"Gisele"||2016||Jean-Michel Jarre||Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise|
|"When You Die"||2018||MGMT||Little Dark Age|
(featuring Sébastien Tellier)
|2020||Salvatore Ganacci||Boycycle EP|
|"Feels Like Summer – Souvenirs d'été"
- "Sébastien Tellier". France inter (in French). Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Séance gratuite : "Nonfilm", de Quentin Dupieux – UniFrance". UniFrance. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "Le saviez-vous ? Sébastien Tellier a aussi écrit de superbes musiques de film – Jack". Jack.canalplus.com. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- Viniker, Barry (7 March 2008). "France: Sébastien Tellier to Eurovision". ESCToday.com. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Eurovision song sparks French row". BBC News Online. 16 April 2008. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Chronique : Sébastien Tellier — My God Is Blue – TSUGI". Tsugi. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "Interview with Sébastien Tellier: I cannot make music while feeling empty" (Interview). artistxite. 10 November 2013. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- DelliCarpini, Gregory Jr. "Sebastien Tellier Talks Karl Lagerfeld Chanel Performance: Exclusive Interview". Billboard. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Sebastien Tellier – L'Adulte: new music". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- ""L'Aventura" : nos balades au Brésil avec Sébastien Tellier". Les Inrocks. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier signe son grand retour avec le clip perché de "A Ballet"". Konbini France. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier sort le sensuel "Stuck in a Summer Love"". Les Inrocks. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier revient avec "un album électro, parce que ça marche bien avec le ménage"". France Inter. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier revisite son répertoire en version déshabillée". Les Inrocks. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier : Papa pour la deuxième fois, d'un bébé au prénom surprenant ! – Purepeople". Purepeople. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". ultratop.be/nl/. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Confection by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "L'Aventura by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "Top Albums (Week 23, 2020)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 8 June 2020.
- "Narco (Original Motion Picture Score) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- "Marie et les naufragés (Original Motion Picture Score) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- "A Girl Is a Gun (Music from the Original Series) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- "Simple Mind by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". danishcharts.dk. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier | Single-Chartverfolgung". PHONONET GmbH. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "UK Charts > Sebastien Tellier". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Roche – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Kilometer (Remixes) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Fingers of Steel – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "L'amour et la violence – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Cochon Ville (Remixes) Pt. 1 – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "In The Crew of Tea Time – Single by Sébastien Tellier & Caroline Polachek on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "L'amour naissant – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Aller vers le soleil – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Ricky l'adolescent – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "A Ballet – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Domestic Tasks – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 8 April 2020.
- "Stuck in a Summer Love – Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "Christophe Etc. by Christophe on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "Boycycle EP by Salvatore Ganacci on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier : Feels Like Summer – Souvenirs d'été – Musique en streaming – À écouter sur Deezer". Deezer. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sébastien Tellier.|