This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sébastien Tellier at 2012 Dour Festival
|Born||February 22, 1975|
Le Plessis-Bouchard, France
|Genres||French pop, new wave, synthpop, electronica|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano, bass guitar, synthesizer, keyboards, percussion|
Sébastien Tellier (French: [tɛlje]; born February 22, 1975) is a French musician, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. He represented France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008 with his song Divine. He has also produced songs for Dita Von Teese and he has composed music for the French films Narco and Steak among others. He is currently signed to Record Makers, a French independent record label. He sings in English, French and Italian.
Tellier's first album, L'incroyable Vérité (The Incredible Truth), was released in 2001. Tellier went on tour with Air in support of the album and was joined on stage by theremin player Pamelia Kurstin. L'incroyable Vérité is a pop album featuring styles from lo-fi electronica to bizarre cabaret tunes.
Since the release of Politics, Tellier has also recorded an acoustic album of his more popular songs, Sessions (2006). The album was repackaged for the British market as Universe (2006), to include both highlights from the French CD, as well as compositions from Tellier's score for the film Narco. This compilation included a cover of "La Dolce Vita", a song originally by French singer Christophe.
In 2007, he composed a few songs with Mr. Oizo, for the soundtrack of the film Steak, directed by Quentin Dupieux (Mr. Oizo himself). Also co-composed by SebastiAn, the soundtrack was released by Ed Banger and Because Music the same year. Tellier also appears in the film as Prisme, the man with the electric wheelchair.
His third studio album Sexuality was produced by Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo of Daft Punk. Like his previous album Politics, Tellier used a single term as title and theme of the album. Tellier's label Record Makers collaborated with retailer American Apparel for an exclusive three-month pre-release of the album, whilst American Apparel sold limited edition versions of the Sexuality CD, LP and "Divine" 7" and 12" single through their North American stores and website.
On March 7, 2008, it was announced by Bruno Berberes, head of EBU delegation in France, that Tellier would represent France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008. It was held in Belgrade on May 24, 2008. Tellier sang "Divine". This was the first time in the history of the contest that the nominated French entry was to be performed largely in English, which caused controversy, leading to Tellier pledging to increase the amount of French in the song prior to the competition itself. In total, the entry received 47 points.
His fourth album My God Is Blue was released in April 23, 2012. As the name suggests, the concept of this album is religion. Tellier is presented in this album as a guru, founder of a fictional sect called "Alliance Bleue". The album is entirely produced by Mr Flash and Pavle Kovacevic.
His fifth album Confection was released in October 2013. This was partially inspired by the death of Tellier's grandmother. Some of the music on the album was intended to appear on a film soundtrack, but ended up not being used. In an interview with artistxite, Tellier noted: "You can say my grandmother's death as well as this nonexisting soundtrack had an impact on “Confection“. To me this has been a super strange situation. I was full of love for my grandmother and full of dedication to this soundtrack; Confection is the result of both of these emotional conditions." In Spring 2014, Tellier performed a medley of tracks from Confection at the Chanel Haute Couture show at the Grand Palais. Tellier recounts that Karl Lagerfeld invited him to perform, having listened to the album himself.
His sixth album L'Aventura, was released on July 14, 2014. The album was inspired by the childhood and Brazil, where the video to its lead single, "L'Adulte", is set.. This album, consisting of 10 tracks, is sung entirely in French.
In 2016, he composed soundtracks for the two French films Saint-Amour, directed by Benoît Delépine and Gustave Kervern, and Marie et les naufragés, directed by Sébastien Betbeder. The next year, he composed the soundtrack for the series A Girl Is a Gun.
In 2020, Tellier returns with a new single "A Ballet", released on January 29, to promote his seventh album Domesticated, consisting of 8 tracks, which released on May 29, 2020. On April 8, "Domestic Tasks", the second single released and "Stuck in a Summer Love" the third single on May 19. The concept on this album is domestic life and this concept was born following his marriage and the birth of his two children. The album is produced by Corentin "nit" Kerdraon, Mind Gamers (John Kirby and Daniel Stricker), Jam City, Varnish La Piscine and Philippe Zdar (who died in 2019). Apart from this album, on February 14, 2020, he appeared as a featured artist on "Boycycle" by Salvatore Ganacci.
Use of Tellier's songs
- The track "Fantino" from L'incroyable Vérité was chosen by Sofia Coppola for the soundtrack to her 2003 film Lost in Translation. Coppola also used the song "Look" from his Sexuality album in her 2010 film Somewhere
- The songs "Look" and "La Ritournelle" were featured in Ugly Betty's episodes "Crush'd" and "Dressed for success", respectively.
- "La Ritournelle" also featured in Joachim Trier's Oslo, August 31st movie soundtrack.
- The song "Universe" from the album L'incroyable Vérité is featured in the film Daft Punk's Electroma.
- "Divine" (as remixed by Danger) was used in the 2009 racing game Gran Turismo for the PSP.
- "La Ritournelle" is sampled in The Weeknd's single, "Kiss Land"
- "La Ritournelle" is the first of many final soundtracks used in the movie "One Way" - 2006.
- "Slow Lynch" was used by Top Gear in Seasons 13 Episode 3 (Ken Block’s Airfield Rally Run).
Tellier is married to Amandine de la Richardière with whom he has two children.
|My God Is Blue||
|Steak (Music from the Motion Picture)
(with Mr. Oizo and SebastiAn)
|Narco (Original Motion Picture Score)||
|Marie et les naufragés (Original Motion Picture Score)||
|A Girl Is a Gun (Music from the Original Series)||
|Dita Von Teese
(by Dita Von Teese)
|Written and composed by Sébastien Tellier|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Fingers of Steel"||89||—||—||—||—||—|
|"L'amour et la violence"||—||—||—||97||—||—|
|"Cochon ville"||2012||69||78||—||—||—||—||My God Is Blue|
|"In The Crew of Tea Time"
(with Caroline Polachek)
|"Aller vers le soleil"||2014||—||—||—||—||—||—||L'Aventura|
|"Stuck in a Summer Love"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"A Mountain for President"
(featuring Sébastien Tellier)
|2007||Principles of Geometry||Lazare|
|"Gisele"||2016||Jean-Michel Jarre||Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise|
|"When You Die"||2018||MGMT||Little Dark Age|
(featuring Sébastien Tellier)
|2020||Salvatore Ganacci||Boycycle EP|
|"Feels Like Summer - Souvenirs d'été"
- "Sébastien Tellier". France inter (in French). Retrieved June 15, 2014.
- "Séance gratuite : "Nonfilm", de Quentin Dupieux - UniFrance". UniFrance. Retrieved September 4, 2020.
- "Le saviez-vous ? Sébastien Tellier a aussi écrit de superbes musiques de film - Jack". Jack.canalplus.com. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- Viniker, Barry (March 7, 2008). "France: Sébastien Tellier to Eurovision". ESCToday.com. Retrieved April 16, 2008.
- "Eurovision song sparks French row". BBC News Online. April 16, 2008. Retrieved April 16, 2008.
- "Chronique : Sébastien Tellier — My God Is Blue - TSUGI". Tsugi. Retrieved June 9, 2020.
- "Interview with Sébastien Tellier: I cannot make music while feeling empty" (Interview). artistxite. November 10, 2013. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- DelliCarpini, Gregory Jr. "Sebastien Tellier Talks Karl Lagerfeld Chanel Performance: Exclusive Interview". Billboard. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "Sebastien Tellier – L'Adulte: new music". The Guardian. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- ""L'Aventura" : nos balades au Brésil avec Sébastien Tellier". Les Inrocks. Retrieved June 9, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier signe son grand retour avec le clip perché de "A Ballet"". Konbini France. Retrieved February 19, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier sort le sensuel "Stuck in a Summer Love"". Les Inrocks. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier revient avec "un album électro, parce que ça marche bien avec le ménage"". France Inter. Retrieved May 31, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier : Papa pour la deuxième fois, d'un bébé au prénom surprenant ! - Purepeople". Purepeople. Retrieved April 20, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". ultratop.be/nl/. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Confection by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved March 9, 2020.
- "L'Aventura by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved March 9, 2020.
- "Top Albums (Week 23, 2020)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved June 8, 2020.
- "Narco (Original Motion Picture Score) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- "Marie et les naufragés (Original Motion Picture Score) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- "A Girl Is a Gun (Music from the Original Series) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved October 9, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier discography". danishcharts.dk. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 26, 2013.
- "Sébastien Tellier | Single-Chartverfolgung". PHONONET GmbH. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "UK Charts > Sebastien Tellier". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- "Roche - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Kilometer (Remixes) by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Fingers of Steel - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "L'amour et la violence - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Cochon Ville (Remixes) Pt. 1 - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "In The Crew of Tea Time - Single by Sébastien Tellier & Caroline Polachek on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved March 9, 2020.
- "L'amour naissant - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Aller vers le soleil - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Ricky l'adolescent - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "A Ballet - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- "Domestic Tasks - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Stuck in a Summer Love - Single by Sébastien Tellier on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved May 19, 2020.
- "Christophe Etc. by Christophe on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved March 9, 2020.
- "Boycycle EP by Salvatore Ganacci on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved February 15, 2020.
- "Sébastien Tellier : Feels Like Summer - Souvenirs d'été - Musique en streaming - À écouter sur Deezer". Deezer. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- Official website
- Anthem interview with Sebastian Tellier, on Anthemmagazine.com
- Sébastien Tellier on IMDb
- Photos of Tellier Performing in Philadelphia, April 2009, on Phrequency.com
- Sebastian Tellier, on Soundcloud
Les Fatals Picards
with L'amour à la française
| France in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Et s'il fallait le faire