Sílvio Manuel Pereira
Sílvio playing for Portugal in 2013
|Full name||Sílvio Manuel de Azevedo Ferreira
|Date of birth||28 September 1987|
|Place of birth||Lisbon, Portugal|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Full back|
(on loan from Atlético Madrid)
|2013||→ Deportivo La Coruña (loan)||17||(2)|
|2013–||→ Benfica (loan)||9||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
Sílvio Manuel de Azevedo Ferreira Sá Pereira (born 28 September 1987), known simply as Sílvio, is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays for Benfica, on loan from Atlético Madrid, and the Portugal national team. A defender, he is equally at ease as a right or left back.
Born in Lisbon, Sílvio played youth football with local club S.L. Benfica. In the 2008 summer he moved straight from the lower leagues with Odivelas F.C. to the top division with Rio Ave FC: he made his debut in the competition on 24 August in a 1–1 home draw against Benfica, and finished his second season with 27 appearances to help the Vila do Conde side to the 12th place, above the relegation zone.
In July 2010 Sílvio joined S.C. Braga, scoring his first top flight and professional goal on in a 1–0 home win over C.S. Marítimo and playing in 38 official games in his first and only campaign, including nine in the Minho club's runner-up run in the UEFA Europa League; he also began suffering from injury problems in this timeframe.
Sílvio was confirmed as an Atlético Madrid player on 19 May 2011, on a five-year deal, making his La Liga debut on 28 August in a 0–0 home draw with CA Osasuna in which he played the full 90 minutes. On 20 November he suffered a knee injury against Levante UD, from which he went on to relapse several times.
In early January 2013, Sílvio was loaned to Deportivo de La Coruña until the end of the season, reuniting with several countrymen including manager Domingos Paciência, also his boss at Braga. He featured almost exclusively as left-back during his spell with the Galicians and even managed to score twice, in wins against Celta de Vigo (3–1 home success) and RCD Mallorca (3–2 away win), but his team eventually suffered relegation.
On 10 July 2013 Sílvio returned to Benfica, joining on a season-long move. His spell was again marred by injuries, the most serious occurring on 10 April 2014 in a Europa League quarter-final match against AZ Alkmaar, when he fractured both the fibula and tibia on his right leg after missing the ball and kicking teammate Luisão instead.
Sílvio made his debut for Portugal on 7 September 2010, starting in a 0–1 away loss against Norway for the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifiers. He was overlooked for the final stages by manager Paulo Bento, however, due to injury.
- Atlético Madrid
- Primeira Liga: 2013–14, 2014–15
- Taça de Portugal: 2013–14
- Taça da Liga: 2013–14, 2014–15
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2015
- UEFA Europa League: Runner-up 2013–14
- "Lateral Sílvio já tem acordo" [Fullback Sílvio with agreement] (in Portuguese). Record. 14 June 2008. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Tiago Pinto no negócio Sílvio" [Tiago Pinto in Sílvio deal] (in Portuguese). Record. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Sílvio: "Estou a passar por um bom momento"" [Sílvio: "I am enjoying a good moment"] (in Portuguese). Record. 29 August 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Sílvio na hora certa" [Sílvio just in time] (in Portuguese). Record. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Sílvio confirma su fichaje por el Atlético" [Sílvio confirms Atlético deal] (in Spanish). Marca. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Atlético Madrid complete Sílvio signing". UEFA. 27 June 2011. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Liga BBVA: El Atlético de Madrid pone el fútbol, pero el gol estaba en el palco (0–0)" [Liga BBVA: Atlético de Madrid brings football, but goal was in the stands (0–0)] (in Spanish). Goal.com. 28 August 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Silvio, baja para el derbi" [Silvio, out for derby] (in Spanish). ABC. 21 November 2011. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Sílvio no sale del agujero" [Sílvio can't leave hole] (in Spanish). Marca. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Silvio, primer refuerzo invernal del Deportivo" [Silvio, first winter signing of Deportivo] (in Spanish). La Voz de Galicia. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Depor not doomed yet". ESPN FC. 15 March 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Depor cure away-day blues". ESPN FC. 31 March 2013. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Silvio joins Benfica on loan from Atletico Madrid". Goal.com. 10 July 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Sílvio fraturou a perna direita" [Sílvio fractured right leg] (in Portuguese). Record. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Sílvio vai manter-se na Luz por empréstimo do Atlético de Madrid
- "Acuerdo con el Benfica para la cesión de Sílvio" [Agreement with Benfica for Sílvio loan] (in Spanish). Atlético de Madrid. 15 July 2015. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Euro 2012 qualifier: Norway 1–0 Portugal – Eduardo blunder gifts Erik Huseklepp winning goal and piles more misery on Portuguese". Goal.com. 7 September 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Spot-on Sevilla leave Benfica dreams in tatters". UEFA.com. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sílvio Manuel Pereira.|
- Benfica official profile (Portuguese)
- Sílvio Manuel Pereira profile at ForaDeJogo
- BDFutbol profile
- Sílvio profile at Soccerway
- Sílvio at National-Football-Teams.com
- Sílvio – UEFA competition record