Søren Wichmann (born 1964 in Copenhagen) is a Danish linguist specializing in historical linguistics, linguistic typology, Mesoamerican languages, and epigraphy. Since June 2016, he has been employed as a University Lecturer at Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, Leiden University, after having worked at different institutions in Denmark, Mexico, Germany and Russia, including, during 2003-2015, the Department of Linguistics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
Wichmann's PhD dissertation, from University of Copenhagen, treated the Azoyú variety of Tlapanec spoken in Guerrero, Mexico. He has written extensively about Mayan, Oto-Manguean and Mixe–Zoquean languages. He has done fieldwork on Mixe, Texistepec Popoluca and Tlapanec. Regarding Mixe–Zoquean, he has done comparative work resulting in the currently most accepted classification of the Mixe–Zoquean language family as well as a reconstruction of its vocabulary and grammar (Wichmann 1995). He also specializes in the study of Maya hieroglyphs — particularly the linguistic aspects of the deciphering of the Mayan script. Since 2007, Wichmann's work has increasingly focused on the development of quantitative methods in historical linguistics, including the development of the Automated Similarity Judgment Program.
Since its inception in 2011, Wichmann has been General Editor of Language Dynamics and Change.
- Wichmann, Søren & Eric W. Holman (2009). Temporal Stability of Linguistic Typological Features. München: LINCOM Europa.
- Donohue, Mark and Søren Wichmann, ed. (2008). The Typology of Semantic Alignment. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Wichmann, Søren, ed. (2004). The Linguistics of Maya Writing. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
- Wichmann, Søren (1995). The Relationship among the Mixe–Zoquean Languages of Mexico. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
- Bochkarev, Vladimir, Valery Solovyev, and Søren Wichmann (2014). "Universals versus historical contingencies in lexical evolution". Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 11: 20140841. doi:10.1098/rsif.2014.0841.
- Brown, Cecil H., Søren Wichmann, and David Beck (2014). "Chitimacha: a Mesoamerican language in the Lower Mississippi Valley". International Journal of American Linguistics. 80 (4): 425–474. doi:10.1086/677911.
- Brown, Cecil H., Eric W. Holman, and Søren Wichmann (2013). "Sound correspondences in the world's languages". Language. 89 (1): 4–29. doi:10.1353/lan.2013.0009.
- Walker Robert S.; Søren Wichmann; Thomas Mailund & Curtis J. Atkisson (2012). "Cultural phylogenetics of the Tupi language family in Lowland South America". PLoS ONE. 7 (4): e35025. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035025.
- Holman, Eric W., Cecil H. Brown, Søren Wichmann, André Müller, Viveka Velupillai, Harald Hammarström, Sebastian Sauppe, Hagen Jung, Dik Bakker, Pamela Brown, Oleg Belyaev, Matthias Urban, Robert Mailhammer, Johann-Mattis List, and Dmitry Egorov (2011). "Automated dating of the world's language families based on lexical similarity". Current Anthropology. 52 (2): 841–875.
- Wichmann, Søren, Eric W. Holman, Taraka Rama, and Robert S. Walker (2011). "Correlates of reticulation in linguistic phylogenies". Language Dynamics and Change. 1: 205–240. doi:10.1163/221058212x648072.
- Brown, Cecil H., David Beck, Grzegorz Kondrak, James K. Watters, and Søren Wichmann (2011). "Totozoquean". International Journal of American Linguistics. 77 (2): 323–372.
- Wichmann, Søren, André Müller, and Viveka Velupillai (2010). "Homelands of the world's language families: A quantitative approach". Diachronica. 27 (2): 247–276.
- Wichmann, Søren, Eric W. Holman, Dik Bakker, and Cecil H. Brown (2010). "Evaluating linguistic distance measures". Physica A. 389 (2): 3632–3639.
- Wichmann, Søren & Eric W. Holman (2009). "Population size and rates of language change". Human Biology. 81: 259–274. doi:10.3378/027.081.0308.
- Holman, Eric W., Søren Wichmann, Cecil H. Brown, Viveka Velupillai, André Müller, and Dik Bakker. 2008 (2008). "Explorations in automated language classification". Folia Linguistica. 42 (2): 331–354.
- Brown, Cecil H., Eric W. Holman, Søren Wichmann, and Viveka Velupillai (2008). "Automated classification of the world's languages: A description of the method and preliminary results". STUF – Language Typology and Universals. 61 (4): 285–308. doi:10.1524/stuf.2008.0026.
- Schulze, Christian, Dietrich Stauffer, and Søren Wichmann (2008). "Birth, survival and death of languages by Monte Carlo simulation". Communications in Computational Physics. 3 (2): 271–294.
- Wichmann, Søren & Arpiar Saunders (2007). "How to use typological features in historical linguistic research". Diachronica. 24 (2): 373–404. doi:10.1075/dia.24.2.06wic.
- Holman, Eric W., Christian Schulze, Dietrich Stauffer, and Søren Wichmann (2007). "On the relation between structural diversity and geographical distance among languages: observations and computer simulations". Linguistic Typology. 11 (2): 395–423. doi:10.1515/lingty.2007.027.
- Wichmann, Søren (2006). "Mayan historical linguistics and epigraphy: a new synthesis". Annual Review of Anthropology. 35: 279–294. doi:10.1146/annurev.anthro.35.081705.123257.
- Wichmann, Søren (2005). "On the power-law distribution of language family sizes". Journal of Linguistics. 41: 117–131. doi:10.1017/s002222670400307x.
- Dakin, Karen & Søren Wichmann (2000). "Cacao and chocolate: A Uto-Aztecan perspective". Ancient Mesoamerica. 11: 1–21.
- http://www.brill.nl/language-dynamics-and-change Language Dynamics and Change (Accessed May 2011)