Súper Liga Americana de Rugby
|Upcoming season or competition:|
2022 Súper Liga Americana de Rugby season
|No. of teams||6|
|Peñarol Rugby |
|Most titles||Peñarol Rugby (1) Jaguares XV (1)|
The Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR; English: American Rugby Superleague) is a professional rugby union competition and the top-level championship for many countries in South America. In the 2020 season it will be contested by five teams with a team each from; Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay with a future team from Colombia joining in 2021 after playing an exhibition series against the 5th-placed team at the end of the season later in May 2020. Officially sanctioned by Sudamérica Rugby, which is consequently part of World Rugby, the league was officially launched in November 29, 2019.
Starting in 2021, SLAR is being held in parallel with Major League Rugby (in the United States and Canada) in order to provide quality competition in the Americas for the sport of rugby union, with MLR as the "northern conference" and SLAR as the "southern conference".
SLAR was first announced in April 2019, with plans in mind of forming between six and eight professional franchises, two each in Uruguay and Brazil, meanwhile Argentina and Chile were to get a franchise each with plans to add two teams in 2021 with an additional team in Argentina and one from Paraguay. In November, SLAR's plans changed to a league of seven clubs, two each in Brazil and Uruguay with one team each in Argentina, Chile, and Paraguay.
At the official announcement, SLAR confirmed the number of the teams for the 2020 season was be at five for the regular season due to the economic issues but SLAR was expected to be expanded at some point in the future, possibly in 2021. Cafeteros Pro (Colombia) joined at the end of the regular season to play a home and away series against the 5th-place finisher in the 2020 season before joining the league full-time.
In 2020, Superliga Americana de Rugby was to span four months from February through May. For the first season, five of the six clubs Ceibos, Corinthians, Selknam, Olímpia Lions, and Peñarol planned to take part in a double round-robin regular season, playing twice against each other team, once at home and once away, for a total of eight games. The top four teams would qualify for the championship playoffs to determine a season champion. The fifth place regular season team would have played a series against Los Cafeteros Pro to determine the fifth-place team. However, on March 17, 2020, the season was postponed until 2021, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
|Cafeteros Pro||Medellín||Colombia||TBA||TBA||2021||Rodolfo Ambrosio|
|Cobras||São Paulo||Brazil||TBA||TBA||2020||Emiliano Bergamaschi|
|Jaguares XV||Buenos Aires||Argentina||TBC||TBC||2021||Ignacio Fernández Lobbe|
|Olímpia Lions||Asunción||Paraguay||Estadio Héroes de Curupayty||3,000||2020||Raúl Pérez|
|Peñarol||Montevideo||Uruguay||Estadio Charrúa||14,000||2020||Pablo Bouza|
|Selknam||Santiago||Chile||Estadio Nacional Julio Martínez Prádanos||40,000||2020||Nicolás Bruzzone|
On 10 November 2020, Colombia has formalized professional rugby. The South American country’s first professional rugby team will be Cafeteros Pro. The team will enter the Súper Liga Americana de Rugby (SLAR) in 2021. On 6 January 2021, UAR replaced the Córdoba based team Ceibos with the Jaguares XV, following the Jaguares' departure from Super Rugby. On 4 February 2021, the Brazilian side of the competition was renamed Cobras Brasil XV, dropping their affiliation with the Corinthians multi-sport club.
At the initial announcement, Brazil and Uruguay originally would have two team each, but instead one team each (Corinthians and Peñarol) will play in 2020 season, meaning it may be possible for the two countries to expand in the future (Club Nacional de Football was hinted as a possibility in Uruguay)  besides a possible Mexican team or a second Chilean team. With the possible change of Super Rugby to a Trans-Tasman (Australasian) competition, Argentina could add a second team, the Jaguares, based in Buenos Aires, in 2021. In November 2020, another new team proposed for 2021 with official expression of interest by Sudamérica Rugby for the inclusion of a second Argentine Buenos Aires based team in the 2021 SLAR, but a second Argentine team won't play in 2021 and most Argentine players will depart the team either overseas, or enter the draft for the 2021 Súper Liga Americana de Rugby season. In August and September 2021 it was rumoured that a second Argentine franchise could join the competition in the future, based in Tucumán, but this possible expansion was postponed to the 2023 season. In October 2022 news confirm that Argentine Tucumán will replaces Colombian team Cafeteros Pro and two North american franchises, Canadian Pacific Pride and U.S. American Raptors, are going to particpate at this new tournament renamed Super Rugby Americas.
|Champion||Score||Runner-up||Higher seeded||Lower seeded|
|2020||(Cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic)|
|2021||Jaguares XV||36–28||Peñarol||Selknam||Olímpia Lions||
|2022||Peñarol||24–13||Selknam||Jaguares XV||Cafeteros Pro||6|
|Peñarol||1 (2022)||1 (2021)|
|Jaguares XV||1 (2021)||0|
- South American Rugby Championship
- Americas Rugby Championship
- Major League Rugby
- Super Rugby
- United Rugby Championship
- "South American SuperLiga launched in Montevideo". Americas Rugby News. 2019-11-30. Retrieved 2019-12-02.
- "La Superliga Americana de Rugby tiene fixture". Sudamérica Rugby (in Spanish). Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "TV, contratos, jugadores: los siguientes pasos de la Liga profesional de rugby". El Observador. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- "The Latest On the Súper Liga Americana". Americas Rugby News. 2019-11-08. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- "Sudamérica tendrá competencia, se viene la Liga, primer torneo profesional". Diario El Ciudadano y la Región (in European Spanish). Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- La Superliga Americana va tomando forma by Gabriel Sarquis Marca, 29 Dec 2019
- Nace la Superliga Americana, un impulso vital para el rugby regional by Alejo Miranda La Nación, 1 Dec 2019
- "Sudamérica Rugby: La Súper Liga Americana de Rugby comenzará en 2020". Chile Rugby (in European Spanish). 2019-04-28. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- "La Superliga Americana de rugby se suspende hasta 2021". SLAR (in European Spanish). 2020-03-17. Retrieved 2021-02-04.
- "Colombia has formalized professional rugby". Americas Rugby News. 2020-11-10. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "Jaguares to play in Súper Liga Americana de Rugby".
- @JaguaresARG (23 January 2021). "¡Vuelve #JaguaresXV, vuelve el rugby a la región! El equipo participará en la @SLARugby junto a las franquicias de Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay y Uruguay en el certamen continental que se disputará, entre el 16 de marzo y el 15 de mayo, en dos sedes fijas a definir" (Tweet). Retrieved 24 January 2021 – via Twitter.
- "Cobras Brasil XV replace Corinthians in 2021 SLAR". Americas Rugby News. 4 February 2021. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "Hernández backs Súper Liga Americana for Argentina". Americas Rugby News. 2020-09-12. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "Súper Liga Americana Expansion". Americas Rugby News. 2020-09-27. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "Jaguares in 2021: Australia, South Africa or South America". Americas Rugby News. 2020-07-26. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- "Super Rugby set to return to 12 teams without Jaguares". Americas Rugby News. 2020-11-04. Retrieved 2022-01-18.
- Sudamérica Rugby has expressed interest in including Los Jaguares in the 2021 SLAR competition
- "Jaguares to be drafted into SLAR teams". Americas Rugby News. 19 December 2020. Retrieved 20 December 2020.
- "¡Tucumán apunta a la SLAR!". A Pleno Rugby (in Spanish). 31 August 2021. Retrieved 6 October 2021.
- "Tucumán y el sueño de su propia franquicia". A Pleno Rugby (in Spanish). 29 September 2021. Retrieved 6 October 2021.
- "Argentina prepara una nueva franquicia". A Pleno Rugby (in Spanish). 26 July 2022. Retrieved 26 July 2022.
- "SLAR set to add North American teams in 2023". Americas Rugby News. 6 October 2022. Retrieved 6 October 2022.
- "Volver Atrás Sudamérica confirmó cambios en la SLAR". A Pleno Rugby (in Spanish). 5 October 2022. Retrieved 5 October 2022.
- Los Jaguares XV fueron campeones invictos en la Superliga Americana de Rugby on Infobae, 16 May 2021