Süleyman Demirel University
||This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (April 2013)|
|Endowment||State: US$101 million (2010)
Other: $48 million (2005)
Total: approx. $149 million
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Ilker Huseyin Carikci|
Süleyman Demirel University (SDU) (Turkish: Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi) is a public university located in Isparta, Turkey. Established in 1992, the university, with around 70.000 students, is the second largest academic institution in Turkey. SDU is known for its programs in agricultural research, medicine, engineering, and business sciences. The university (Institution Code: TR ISPARTA01) is approved by the Erasmus programme for participation and funding. SDU is a member of European University Association.
- 1 History
- 2 Academic structure
- 3 Research
- 4 Campus
- 5 Student life
- 6 Honorary doctorates
- 7 Partner universities
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
SDU was founded on 11 July 1992 in Isparta. The university is named after Süleyman Demirel. The faculty of Engineering and Architecture is the first faculty in the university which was formerly known as Isparta State Engineering and Architecture Academy founded in 1976.
The academic structure of SDU contains fifteen faculties, twelve vocational high schools, two higher schools, and four graduate schools.
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Aquatic Products
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Technical Education
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Education
Süleyman Demirel University ranks 10th in Turkey in the 2014-2015 URAP ranking.
The SDU aims to be a research-oriented university, according to its strategic plan. 29 research and implementation centres are operating in scientific and technological areas and form the basis for the implementation of this strategic goal.
SDU's priority research areas cover environmental sciences, biotechnology, energy and technology sciences.
- SDU Research Hospital
- SDU Rose Research Center
- Principles of Atatürk and History of the Turkish Revolution Research and Implementation Center
- Computer Sciences Research and Implementation Center
- Botanic Field and Herbarium Research and Implementation Center
- CAD/CAM Implementation Center
- Experimental and Observatory Student Research and Implementation Center
- Earthquake and Geotechnics Research and Implementation Center
- Research and Implementation Center for Geothermal Energy
- Groundwater and Mineral Resources Research and Implementation Center
- Cancer Early Diagnosis Center
- Women Studies Research and Implementation Center
- Fashion Design & Ready-made Clothes Research and Implementation Center
- Music Culture Research and Implementation Center
- Pumice Research and Implementation Center
- Radio TV Research and Implementation Center
- Ceramics Research and Implementation Center
- Center for Strategic Research
- Turkish Language Research and Implementation Center
- Remote Sensing Research and Implementation Center
- Renewable Energy Resources Center for Research and Application
- Research and Implementation Hotels
- Continuous Education Research and Implementation Center
- EU Documentation Research and Implementation Center
- Agricultural Research and Implementation Center
- Technological Materials Research and Development and Calibration Center
The SDU's main campus is located in, and occupies most of, the Çünür suburb of Isparta. The university has 300000 square meters built area in 10000 decare land. Most of the university's centers and faculties are on campus.
Prof. Dr. Hasan Gürbüz Information Centre
Information centre (IC) occupies 8000 square meters and has 950-seat capacity.
IC academic collection consists of 100000 books, 64500 e-books, 1310 journal subscriptions, 39000 e-journal subscriptions, 2500 CD-DVDs and 53 online databases.
Practice and research hospital
The 400-bed capacity SDU Research Hospital was established on November 1, 2000.
Lakes District Technocity
The technocity is a science park project. It is located on both east and west campuses.
The city of Isparta offers somewhat limited entertainment options, so students spend their free time participating in on-campus activities and in neighbor city Antalya.
Süleyman Demirel University's on-campus housing includes several dormitories.
Every year, the university hosts a spring festival in May and an international jazz festival in December.
Scholarships and financial support
SDU offers several scholarships to students. 750 students receive food scholarship annually from the university. In addition to that, 219 students receive cash scholarship by the General Directorate of Credits and Dormitories.
There is a university-run part-time work system which offers four hours of work per week during academic semesters to eligible students.
Sports and recreation
The main campus has a sports hall, a football pitch, two artificial grass football pitches, a beach volleyball court, six tennis courts (four open and two indoor), mini golf fields, an athletics track, a running track, a fitness centre and two open basketball courts.
The 2500-seat sport hall's facilities include an aerobics and steps hall, a gymnastics hall, a squash court, an artificial climbing wall, individual sports halls, a cafeteria, a university merchandise store, and massage and sauna rooms.
SDU has a horse riding club with free membership for students.
SDU has two student broadcasting operations: SDU Radio and ScienceTV. SDU Radio Television Research and Implementation Center oversees the operations of student broadcasting.
SDU has 64 student clubs, including: Rock Community, Industrial and Quality Club, Aviation Club, Turkish Folklore Club, Theatre Club, Radio Club, Mountaineering and Orienteering Club, Chess and Bridge Club, Skiing Club, Technology Club, Diving Club, Dance Club, Economics and Management Club, Book Club, Biology and Environment Club.
Honorary doctorates from Süleyman Demirel University include:
- Filiz Akın, actress
- Heydar Aliyev, former president of Azerbaijan
- Jerzy Buzek, former prime minister of Poland
- Rauf Denktaş, first president of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- Fatma Girik, actress
- Hülya Koçyiğit, actress
- Justin A. McCarthy, U.S. historian
- İsmet Sezgin, former speaker of the Turkish parliament
- Türkan Şoray, actress
- Şarık Tara, businessman in construction
- Selçuk Yaşar, businessman in food industry
- Andrew Mango,author,historian
- Pier Ugo Calzolari, engineer
- Azerbaijan State University, Azerbaijan
- University of Ghent, Belgium
- Sofia University, Bulgaria
- Tianjin Polytechnic University, China
- Helsinki University, Finland
- Tampere University of Technology, Finland
- Grenoble École de Management, France
- Paris-Sud 11 University, France
- Berlin Technical University, Germany
- Free University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Ferrara, Italy
- University of Parma, Italy
- University of Pisa, Italy
- University of Florence, Italy
- University of L'Aquila, Italy
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Wageningen University, Netherlands
- Lodz University, Poland
- University of Warsaw, Poland
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- University of Valencia, Spain
- University of Barcelona, Spain
- University of Salamanca, Spain
- Ching Yun University, Taiwan
- Ohio State University, United States
- Iowa State University, United States
- [dead link]
-  Archived October 14, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100208230753/http://www.iau-aiu.net/members_friends/mem_membinst1.html. Archived from the original on February 8, 2010. Retrieved June 3, 2010. Missing or empty
- "ýsparta haberleri haber manþet gündem isparta 32 h | Bilgiç TBMMde SDÜnün yakacak sýkýntýsýný ele aldý". Ispartanews.com. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110929013936/http://www.sdu.edu.tr/diger/euaprg/pdf/sdu_report.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2011. Retrieved June 13, 2010. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110929013705/http://www.sdu.edu.tr/diger/euaprg/tr/eua_review_report.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Information Center". Kutuphane.sdu.edu.tr. Retrieved 2013-04-05.[permanent dead link]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20091222133822/http://www.iasp.ws/publico/index.jsp?enl=4. Archived from the original on December 22, 2009. Retrieved May 12, 2010. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110809062902/http://w3.sdu.edu.tr/download/ingilizce.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 9, 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101024214129/http://radyotvmer.sdu.edu.tr/radio/. Archived from the original on October 24, 2010. Retrieved June 15, 2010. Missing or empty
- "::: SDÜ Bilim TV :::". Bilimtv.sdu.edu.tr. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "SDÜ Rock Topluluğu - ANA SAYFA". Sdurock.weebly.com. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- Milliyet April 19, 2006 (Turkish)
- President of Turkish Republic December 1, 1999 (Turkish)
- SDÜ June 23, 2006 (Turkish)
- President's office TRNC (Turkish)
- SDÜ Bulletin September 2001 (Turkish)
- SDÜ April 25, 2005 (Turkish)
- SDÜ December 26, 2005 (Turkish)
- Akşam October 17, 2001 (Turkish)
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110929013653/http://www.sdu.edu.tr/diger/euaprg/eng/pdf/AppendixJ.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2011. Retrieved April 7, 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110814165848/http://disiliskiler.sdu.edu.tr/dosyalar/2008_ikili_anlasma_son.xls. Archived from the original on August 14, 2011. Retrieved June 3, 2010. Missing or empty
- http://www.tut.fi/public/index.cfm?Sel=1780&Show=854&siteid=32. Retrieved May 9, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Centre TIME - Grenoble Ecole de Management". Grenoble-em.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- "Università degli Studi di Ferrara (University of Ferrara) — moveonnet". Moveonnet.eu. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- (PDF) http://www.unipr.it/internazionali/socrates/2007-08/criteri_sedi_medicina_chirurgia.pdf. Retrieved June 13, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Partner universities in Europe". Eur.nl. 2011-01-19. Archived from the original on 2013-04-09. Retrieved 2013-04-05.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090121230720/https://www.extension.iastate.edu/Global/News/061101.htm. Archived from the original on January 21, 2009. Retrieved April 7, 2010. Missing or empty