Erdoğan in 2020
|Education||Araklı İmam Hatip High School |
Indiana University (BA)
London School of Economics (MSc)
|Parent(s)||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan |
|Relatives||Ahmet Burak Erdoğan (brother) |
Bilal Erdoğan (brother)
Esra Erdoğan (sister)
Sümeyye Erdoğan Bayraktar (born 22 August 1985) is the youngest of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's four children. In 2013, she was one of the chief advisors of her father who was prime minister at the time.
Family and education
Her father is Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and her mother is Emine Erdoğan. She has three siblings: Ahmet Burak, Necmettin Bilal and Esra. In March 2016, she became engaged to Selçuk Bayraktar, and married him on 14 May 2016.
She graduated from Araklı İmam Hatip High School in Trabzon. After not getting her desired grade in the university entrance exams in 2002, she continued her education in the United States. With a scholarship from a businessman,[a][b] she received a bachelor's degree in sociology and politics from Indiana University. After completing her education in 2005, she completed her master's degree in economics at the London School of Economics.
In 2010, she started to work as a consultant in the Justice and Development Party (AKP), responsible for monitoring foreign relations and their reflections on the world press.[c] Due to this position, she has been a part of many international trips. She was a counselor to her father during four years, a role she decided not to carry on in October 2014. During the Gezi Park protests in 2013, she was involved in meetings between the government and various artists. Her participation in the meetings was questioned and moved to the agenda of the TBMM for further discussion.
It was claimed that a website which published her photographs while she was staying in the USA was closed down. An unnamed official from the Hugehost company said that after a phone call from Ankara they were left disturbed and could not provide service anymore.[d]
Sümeyye Bayraktar, who was among the audience of Genç Osman at the Ankara State Theater, left the hall during the play saying that the movements carried out in accordance with the scenario were intended to insult her. As a result of the investigation, it was concluded that the actors did not have any negative behavior and the usual scenario was played out on stage.
In the period following the December 17 corruption scandal, voice recordings of Sümeyye Bayraktar, who was setting the agenda for instructing AKP trolls on Twitter to tweet in favor of them on social media, were published. Again, based on the sound recordings released during this period, it was revealed that together with her brother Bilal Erdoğan, she transferred money from their homes to different places on their father's instructions and met with Mustafa Latif Topbaş about the villas built in the archaeological site in Urla and pursued business.
It was claimed that Sümeyye Bayraktar had reached an agreement with a company to remove news published on the Internet about her private life in the past. OdaTV later reported that they had been contacted by a company, who claimed to be in charge of taking care of "Sümeyye Erdoğan's reputation on online services" and asked them to delete an article that they had published about her two years ago.
- Güran Giyim's ower, Remzi Gür, provided the scholarship.
- There are also allegations that the relations between the Erdoğan family and Remzi Gür have affected some real estate sales.
- The press claimed that she received a salary of 25,000 euros. The rumors were rejected by AKP executives.
- A review by Barış Zeren on this event: "İşte Başbakan'ın kızlarının ABD'deki hayatı". OdaTV. 6 November 2013. Archived from the original on 26 September 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan". biyografi.info. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "AK Parti'den Sümeyye Erdoğan açıklaması!". Vatan. 21 June 2013. Archived from the original on 14 March 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan'ın nişanlandığı Selçuk Bayraktar kimdir?". CNN Türk. 12 March 2016. Archived from the original on 3 July 2016. Retrieved 6 May 2016.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan bugün evleniyor". Posta. 14 May 2016. Archived from the original on 30 May 2016. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan Bayraktar'dan '28 Şubat' eleştirisi". Hürriyet. 6 June 2020. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Gericiliğin yeni portresi: Sümeyye Erdoğan". SoL. 6 December 2010. Archived from the original on 19 June 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Aslanlı Köşk resmen Remzi Gür'ün". Radikal. 1 February 2011. Archived from the original on 5 October 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Faruk Zabcı (20 December 2008). "Emine Hanım'ı ağlatan mutluluk". Hürriyet. Archived from the original on 5 January 2017. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "AVM'lerin açılması planlanırken: Bilal Erdoğan'ın kaç restoranı var?". soL News Portal. 27 April 2020. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- "Bilal'in zenginliği 'cızbız'dan". Sözcü. 9 December 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Oğul Erdoğan 'ızgara' işine girdi". Cumhuriyet. 20 September 2009. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
- Metehan Demir (16 July 2010). "Sümeyye AK Parti'de danışman". Hürriyet. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- Ümit Çetin (30 May 2010). "Maymunu Türkiye'ye Ahmet'e götürelim". Hürriyet. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "President Erdoğan's youngest daughter resigns". Daily Sabah. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2020-06-07.
- "Erdoğan, Gezi Parkı heyetiyle görüşüyor". BBC News. 12 June 2013. Archived from the original on 18 June 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan'ın işi ne?". Gerçek Gündem. 18 June 2013. Archived from the original on 29 August 2016. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye sansürü!". Milliyet. 7 August 2004. Archived from the original on 8 October 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Tiyatroda Sümeyye Erdoğan krizi". Akşam. 10 April 2011. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye kızdı! Devlet tiyatroları kapanabilir!". SoL. 14 April 2011. Archived from the original on 30 July 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Olay oyunun ilk raporu hazır". Hürriyet. 17 April 2011. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan'dan twitter trollerine talimat". SoL. 20 February 2014. Archived from the original on 10 July 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Hangi Kayıtta Ne Mevzu Dönüyor?". line. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan evlilikten önce hangi şirketle anlaştı". Odatv. 5 May 2016. Archived from the original on 30 June 2016. Retrieved 6 May 2016.
- "Sümeyye Erdoğan geçmişini 'sildiriyor'". birgun.net. 5 May 2016. Archived from the original on 6 May 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2016.