|S-300VM Antey 2500
NATO reporting name: SA-23 Gladiator\Giant
Antey-2500 SAM at MAKS-2011
|Type||Transportable SAM system|
|Place of origin||Russia|
|Used by||See Operators|
|Unit cost||US$120 millions (1999)|
|200 (250)km against MRBMs|
The S-300VM "Antey-2500" (NATO reporting name SA-23 Gladiator\Giant) is a Russian anti-ballistic missile system. The system is designed to defeat short- and medium-range ballistic missiles, aeroballistic and cruise missiles, fixed-wing aircraft, as well as loitering ECM platforms and precision-guided munitions.
|Place of origin||Russia|
|Used by||See Operators|
|200 kilometres (120 mi)|
|Flight altitude||30,000 metres (98,000 ft)|
The 9M82M missile is intended to defeat tactical, theater and medium range ballistic missiles, as well as aerodynamic targets at a range of up to 200 km. The Antey-2500 system is mounted on a tracked cross-country vehicle equipped with self-contained power supply and navigation systems, as well as surveying and positioning equipment.
The Antey-2500 air defense missile system features:
- High degree of battle performance automation owing to high-speed digital computers
- Passive electronically scanned array radars with advanced data processing methods
- High ECM immunity
- High mobility and autonomous operation
- High firepower potential, irrespective of air attack tactics or sequence
- Vertical launch from a special transport launch canister
- Maintenance-free operation of missiles for at least ten years
- Capability to defeat ballistic missile individual warheads
- Inertial guidance with radio command mid-course update and semi-active radar homing at the terminal phase
- Focused detonation of the missile warhead
The Antey-2500 system comprises:
- Command post
- Circular and sector scan radars
- Multichannel missile guidance station (MMGS) (typical amount 4 (enough to hit 24 targets) - technically no more than 6 (The command post of the S-300V can not simultaneously engage more than 24 goals))
- 9A82M launcher (typical amount 8) includes radar of illumination and targeting as well as *brains* of the radar
- 9A83M launcher (typical amount 12) includes radar of illumination and targeting as well as *brains* of the radar
- 9A84M loader-launcher (technically no more than 24)
- 9M82M and 9M83M air defense missiles
- Maintenance, repair, and transport vehicles
- Group SPTA set
- Electronic trainer for MMGS operators
- Set of missile handling equipment
Technical ability to use 1-2 additional battalions.
One system configuration - external command post, CP of the S-300V and every radars of S-300V and the outside radars, other external elements. This is the central core, for it served a few battalions of S-300V system. All battalions at full strength of S-300V system (CP of the S-300V and every radars of the S-300V, and a few launchers with radars, and a few launchers without radars).
- S-300V: entered service in 1983; 100 km range
- S-300VM: 200 km range
- S-300V4: in service since 2013; 400 km range
- Egypt : Antey-2500, Entered service in November 2014 
- India : It bought S-300VM anti-missile platforms from Russia.
- Russia : ordered more than three S-300V4 divisions by 2015
- Venezuela: 2 S-300VM in 1 air defense battalion
- North Korea KN-06
- Iran: Russia is offering Iran the S-300VM instead of the S-300PMU1 to avoid a lawsuit over the cancellation of the latter.
- India proposals
- Turkey: Turkey has is currently in talks with Russian officials for a co-production deal  
- Saudi Arabia: Russia has offered Saudi Arabia the S-300VM as First Operator.[clarification needed]
- "S-300V/Antey 2500 (SA-12 'Gladiator/Giant')". Jane's Information Group. 13 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-21.[dead link]
- S-300VM Antey-2500 SA-23 Gladiator Giant air defense missile system
- ""Алмаз-Антей": российская зенитная ракетная система "Антей-2500" поствлена в Египет". ТАСС. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Алмаз-Антей : российская зенитная ракетная система Антей-2500 поствлена в Египет". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- ""Алмаз-Антей": российская зенитная ракетная система "Антей-2500" поствлена в Египет". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Ballistic Missile Defence for India". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- India’s Missile Defense: Is the Game Worth the Candle?
- Administrator. "Минобороны РФ подписало трехлетний контракт на поставку ЗРС С-300В4 - Военный Обозреватель". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Денис Тельманов. "Венесуэла получила российский комплекс ПВО С-300ВМ". Известия. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Russia Offers Iran New Replacement for S-300 – Paper". RIANOVOSTI. 22 June 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- "Lenta.ru: Оружие: Вооружение: Россия назвала условия поставки комплексов С-300 Ирану". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "::". Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Russia's Arms Catalog 2004
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S-300VM.|
- (Russian) S-300VM "Antey-2500" (SA-12 Giant/Gladiator) at the Vestnik PVO website
- S-300VM Antey-2500 SA-23 Gladiator Giant air defense missile system (Army recognition)