S-350E Vityaz 50R6
|50R6 (S-350E) Vityaz|
50P6 missile launcher of S-350E system at 2013 MAKS Airshow
|Type||medium-range SAM system|
|Place of origin||Russia|
|In service||In service (since 2019)|
|Used by||Russia, Algeria|
|Wars||Syrian civil war|
|Manufacturer||Northwest Regional Center of Almaz-Antey (GOZ, ZRTO)|
The 50R6 Vityaz (Russian: ЗРК Витязь) or S-350E is a Russian medium-range surface-to-air missile system developed by GSKB Almaz-Antey. Its purpose is to replace the S-300PS and S-300PT-1A. The system design traces its roots from the joint South Korean/Russian KM-SAM project and uses the same 9M96 missile as the S-400 missile system.
Design and development
The 50R6A Vityaz missile system consists of:
- 1-2 50N6A multifunctional passively electronically scanned array radar stations. 360° coverage for early detection, target illumination and missile guidance.
- 1 50K6A command post, fully autonomous combat work with interaction with other remote systems.
- 1-8 50P6 launchers (12-96 missiles).
- 9M96/9M96E(E2) guided missiles; passive guidance and other missiles with active homing guidance. 12–120 km (7.5–74.6 mi) range, aerodynamic control surfaces and jet engines of control surfaces.
- 9M100 guided missiles; 10–15 km (6.2–9.3 mi) range; infrared passive homing; aerodynamic control surfaces and jet engines of control; maximum maneuver 60 G-20 surfaces.
- Maximum number of simultaneously engaged targets:
- Aerodynamic - 16
- Ballistic - 12
- Maximum number of simultaneously induced missiles - 32
- Affected area of aerodynamic purposes:
- Range - 1.5–120 km (0.93–74.56 mi)
- Height - 10 m-30 km (98,000 ft)
- Affected area of ballistic targets:
- Range - 1.5–30 km (0.93–18.64 mi)
- Height - 2–25 km (6,600–82,000 ft)
- Deployment time - 5 minutes
|Minimum range||1 km||1 km||_|
|Maximum range||120 km||40 km||10 km|
|Minimum altitude||5 m||5 m||_|
|Maximum altitude||30 km (98,000 ft)||20 km (66,000 ft)||_|
|Speed||1,800 m/s (Mach 5.3)||_||_|
|Weight||420 kg (930 lb)||333 kg (734 lb)||_|
|Length||5.65 m (18.5 ft)||4.75 m (15.6 ft)||2.5 m (8.2 ft)|
|Diameter||240 mm (9.4 in)||240 mm (9.4 in)||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Warhead weight||24 kg (53 lb)||24 kg (53 lb)||_|
In September 2017, it was reported that the missile system was deployed in the town of Masyaf in Hama province, Syria, delivered from Russia via the Tartus port.
The first launches, made on March 26, 2019, were positive and the air defense missile system successfully passed state tests.
In February 2020, the S-350 Vityaz was officially commissioned into the service of the Aerospace Defence Forces as the new missile system had been delivered to Zhukov Air and Space Defense Academy to train crews for the equipment.
The Almaz-Antey Group and the Defense Ministry of Russia signed contracts for the delivery of four sets of S-350 ‘Vityaz’ and three regiments of S-400 ‘Triumf’ in June 2020.
- "Первый комплекс С-350 "Витязь" разместят в Ленинградской области". РИА Новости. 5 February 2019.
- "S-350E S-350 Vityaz 50R6 air defense missile system data | Russia Russian missile system vehicle UK | Russia Russian army military equipment vehicles UK". Armyrecognition.com. 2018-12-30. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- (in Russian)Strela newspaper 6 (125) June 2013 Archived 2013-07-17 at the Wayback Machine
- New Medium SAM Displayed At Moscow Air Show
- "Национальная оборона / Оборонно-промышленный комплекс / В интересах ВКО России". www.oborona.ru.
- "ЗЕНИТНАЯ РАКЕТНАЯ СИСТЕМА (ЗРС) С-350Е "ВИТЯЗЬ". ANTIAIRCRAFT MISSILE SYSTEM (AAMS) S-350Е "VITYAZ"". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Зенитный ракетный комплекс ПВО средней дальности С-350 50Р6А "Витязь" - ВПК.name". vpk.name.
- "Перспективный ЗРК 50Р6 «ВИТЯЗЬ» системы С-350 - Армейский вестник".
- Ведомости (22 January 2014). "Производство зенитных комплексов С-350 «Витязь» начнется в следующем году". www.vedomosti.ru.
- Russia’s Poliment-Redut Naval Air Defense System to Receive S-350 Compatible Missiles - Navyrecognition.com, 26 April 2017
- "Russia wraps up state trials of advanced shipborne air defense missile system". TASS.
- S-300 Surface-To-Air Missile System PROGRAM DOSSIER - Aviationweek.com, 6 August 2015
- Advanced Russia-Made Air-Defense System Deployed in Central Syria Fars News Agency, 24 September 2017.
- Ripley, Tim (16 April 2019). "S-350 SAM production begins in Russia". London: IHS Jane's. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Первую ЗРС С-350 "Витязь" передали Минобороны" (in Russian). TASS. 23 December 2019. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "The Aerospace Forces received the latest anti-aircraft missile system S-350 "Vityaz"" (Press release). Russian Ministry of Defence. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- Сурков, Николай (29 August 2017). "Россия сделала бюджетную версию С-400". Известия.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S-350E.|
- S-350E Vityaz 50R6 surface-to-air defense missile system at the Wayback Machine (archived 18 December 2014)
- Vityaz to replace S-300 air defense systems in 2014 - designer at the Wayback Machine (archived 10 March 2013)
- The first tests of the latest air defense system 50R6 “Vityaz” will be carried out in autumn, Russian Aviation, February 11, 2013
- "Air Defence - the Opposite Side of Air Power "Vityaz"" (PDF). RUSI.org. Dr. Igor Sutyagin. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-03-14.
- ANALYSIS | S-350E "Hero" / C-350E "Vityaz" Anti-Aircraft Missile System