|Subsidiary of Samsung Electronics|
|Founded||April 26, 2004|
|Headquarters||Tangjeong, Asan-City, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea|
|Won-Kie Chang: President|
|Products||Amorphous TFT LCD panels|
S-LCD, as of April 25, 2008, operated with a monthly production capacity of 100,000 seventh-generation amorphous silicon (a-Si) panels and 50,000 eighth-generation panels based on PVA technology, which are integrated into both Samsung Electronics and Sony LCD televisions. S-LCD originally had production facilities in both Japan and South Korea. Due to rising costs and an increasing demand from the Latin American market, S-LCD opened production facilities in Baja California, Mexico, where both Samsung and Bravia have large LCD production facilities.
On December 26, 2011, Samsung Electronics announced that it will acquire all of Sony's shares. On January 19, 2012, Sony sold to Samsung all of its shares of S-LCD for 1.07 trillion Korean won (72 billion Japanese yen) in cash.
- 2003: Samsung Electronics sign agreement for the establishment of a joint venture for seventh-generation amorphous TFT LCD panel production.
- 2004: S-LCD Corporation established.
- April 2005: S-LCD begins shipment of seventh-generation TFT LCD panels for LCD TVs.
- August 2007: S-LCD begins shipment of eighth-generation TFT LCD panels for LCD TVs.
- 2008: Sony and Samsung announce that due to increased demand, a second eighth-generation production line will operate in the S-LCD factory in the second quarter of 2009. S-LCD may be headed by Samsung alone as Sony has announced a joint venture with Sharp Corporation, in order to compete effectively with Samsung, a task made difficult by their current collaboration.
- December 2011: The company's partners announce that Samsung will acquire Sony's entire stake in the joint venture, making S-LCD Corporation a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics.
Other LCD manufacturers
- Samsung and Sony Agreed on Establishing Additional 8th Generation Line at S-LCD
- Form 20-F/A for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, page F-30, Sony Corporation
- "Shipment of mass production Generation 7 amorphous TFT LCD modules". Sony. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- Takuya Otani (April 2008). "Sony, Sharp Form JV for 10th-Gen LCD Fab". Nikkei Electronics Asia. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "Samsung buys Sony's entire stake in LCD joint venture". BBC News Business. December 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Samsung to Invest $2.2B in LCD Plant, Without Sony
- Sony Press Release: Grand opening ceremony of S-LCD
- Sony Press Release: 8th generation line contract
- Sony Japan Press Release Part 1 (in Japanese)
- Sony Japan Press Release Part 2 (in Japanese)
- EETimes.com - Joint Sony, Samsung LCD factory opens
- S-LCD Begins Shipment of 7th Generation TFT LCD Panels
- S-LCD has started shipping its first displays - Softpedia
- S-LCD (Samsung+Sony) Start on 7th Generation TFT-LCD's
- news - S-LCD BEGINS SHIPMENT OF 7TH GENERATION TFT LCD PANELS FOR LCD TVs
- S-LCD Amorphous TFT LCD Manufacturing Building Completed for 7th Generation LCDs Equipment