This article has multiple issues. Please help to improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Developer(s)||Atari Games (arcade)|
The Kremlin (home versions)
Solid Software (Lynx)
|Programmer(s)||Andrew J. Burgess|
|Platform(s)||Arcade, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Lynx, MS-DOS, ZX Spectrum|
|Arcade system||Atari Hard Drivin'|
S.T.U.N. Runner (Spread Tunnel Underground Network Runner) is 3D racing/shooter game released in arcades by Atari Games in 1989. The player pilots a futuristic vehicle which can exceed 900 mph, through various tunnels and courses with changing environments, hazards and enemies. S.T.U.N. Runner uses polygonal graphics for the vehicles and track, and is based on an evolution of Atari's Hard Drivin' hardware. The custom cabinet was designed to resemble the craft that the player pilots in-game.
The arcade game was released in Europe by Jaleco, and in Japan by Namco and Sega. Home ports were released for the Atari ST, Amiga, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum. An Atari Lynx version was published by Atari Corporation in 1991.
The final goal is to reach the "Ultimate Challenge", an endless race filled with surprises, where the player must simply get as far as possible in the allotted time. Markers on the Ultimate Challenge course show the names of the five players who have traveled the farthest, who are tracked independently of the game's traditional high score table.
Twin triggers fire laser cannons mounted atop the craft, and the Start buttons double as the triggers for the Shockwave "smart bomb" weapon.
S.T.U.N. Runner is included in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and GameCube. It was also released for Microsoft Windows as part of Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition in 2006.
- "Arcades: STUN Runner (Jaleco)". Commodore User. No. 75 (December 1989). United Kingdom: EMAP. 26 November 1989. pp. 124–5.
- "STUN Runner (Registration Number PA0000496308)". United States Copyright Office. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- "S.T.U.N. RUNNER". Media Arts Database (in Japanese). Agency for Cultural Affairs. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- Dencker, Andrea, ed. (1989). S.T.U.N. Runner Operator's Manual (PDF). Milpitas, CA: Atari Games. p. 1.
- Game info, Midway Arcade Treasures 3
- Manual, Midway Arcade Treasures 3