S. L. Loney
Sidney Luxton Loney, M.A. (16 March 1860, Chevithorne, Devon – 16 May 1939, Richmond) was a Professor of Mathematics at the Royal Holloway College, Egham, Surrey. (University of London), and a fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. He authored a number of mathematics texts, some of which have been reprinted numerous times. He is known as an early influence on Srinivasa Ramanujan.
He has authored numerous books on mathematics which are widely in use in India. His book, The Elements of Statics and Dynamics, published in 1897, is used across various universities in south India. His books, The Elements of Coordinate Geometry and Plane Trigonometry, are also popular in India among students preparing for competitive engineering exams.
- Loney, SL (1889), A treatise on elementary dynamics, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 21.0845.01
- Loney, SL (1893), Mechanics and hydrostatics for beginners, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 25.1331.02
- Loney, SL (1895), The elements of coordinate geometry, London: Macmillan and Co., JFM 26.0640.01
- Loney, SL (1897), The elements of statics and dynamics, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 23.0903.08
- Loney, SL (1909), An elementary treatise on the dynamics of a particle and of rigid bodies, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 21.0845.02
- Loney, SL (1912), An elementary treatise on statics, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 43.0799.06
- Loney, SL (1912), Plane Trigonometry, Cambridge: University Press, JFM 25.0892.12
- "List of Members of The London Mathematical Society", Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society (PDF), 35, 13 November 1902
- Berndt, Bruce C.; Rankin, Robert A. (2000). "The books studied by Ramanujan in India". The American Mathematical Monthly. 107 (7): 595–601. JSTOR 2589114.
- "Loney, Sidney Luxton (LNY878SL)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "8 IIT JEE Books Every Aspirant Should Have". TopprBytes. 29 April 2015.
- "Best Books for JEE 2016 preparation". AglaSem. 30 November 2015.
- Harold Simpson (1939), "Sidney Luxton Loney", J. London Math. Soc., s1-14: 240, doi:10.1112/jlms/s1-14.3.240
- Higgins, E. C. (17 June 1939), "Prof. S. L. Loney", Nature, 143 (3633): 1011–1012, doi:10.1038/1431011a0
- Plane Trigonometry, 1st Edition (1893) at the Internet Archive
- Plane Trigonometry, 2nd Edition (1895) at the Internet Archive
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|