S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research
|Motto||अमृतं तु विद्या|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Nectar|
|Type||Private business school|
|Dean||Dr. Ranjan Banerjee|
|Approximately 40 core and 70 visiting|
|Students||240 (2-year PGDM program) 120(1-year PGPM program)|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Campus||Andheri (Urban area)|
|Affiliations||Association of Indian Universities, Association of MBAs|
SPJIMR sits on a 45-acre campus in the western suburbs of Andheri in Mumbai. The Institute has an annual intake of some 700 students under various programmes. Its oldest programme is the two year Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM).
- 1 History
- 2 Programmes
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Research Centers
- 5 Lock, Stock & Trade
- 6 Accreditation
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Inaugurated in 1981 by the then British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, SPJIMR had modest beginnings as a small extension of the campus of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. The institute was named after Sahu Shreyans Prasad Jain of the Sahu Jain family, who financed the institution in its early years. At the time of its establishment, SPJIMR was among the three business schools in Mumbai. After the financing from the Sahu Jain family stopped, the institute disaffiliated itself from Bombay University to provide itself with more freedom in curriculum decision-making and pedagogy design. SPJIMR is a part of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and operates out of its campus at Munshi Nagar, Dadabhai Road, Andheri West, Mumbai.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
SPJIMR’s Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is a two-year full-time residential programme equivalent to an MBA. The programme offers specialisations in Finance, Operations, Marketing and Information Management.The programme has consistently been ranked among the top 10 in the country. It is accredited by AICTE. The programme has seen much pedagogical experimentation over the years, including social projects and business plans, use of theatre to learn management, Assessment and Development of Managerial Potential (ADMAP, a programme where students participate in the administration of the college) and India-specific cases. SPJIMR does not have a traditional summer internship projects like most other Indian B-schools. Instead, the students are required to work with NGOs in the rural areas during the summer; corporate internships happen during autumn instead.
Post Graduate Programme in Management
The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGPM), formerly known as Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), is a 15-month (3 months of foundation courses through web learning), full-time residential programme accredited by the Association of MBAs. It offers specialisations in marketing, finance, operations, and information management. The specialisations are chosen at the time of admission. The programme admits working professionals from domains and leading industries to enable knowledge sharing and peer learning. The course starts in January and ends in December.
Post Graduate Certificate in International Management
The Post Graduate Certificate in International Management (PGCIM) is a full-time residential MBA program with an international focus. As a part of this program students complete first 8 months of their studies in SPJIMR, Mumbai and then complete their international stint at a partner university.This program was started by Center of Indo European Business Studies(CIEBS) which was funded by European Union.  The MBA program requires minimum of 2 years of work experience ; students with prior international exposure are preferred.
Executive Management Programme
The Executive Management Programme (EMP) is a non-residential programme, for working professionals, similar to an EMBA, with 60 full-day classes on campus, spread over 21 months and contact sessions. The programme considers graduates with minimum five years of experience,and mandates the support of the candidate's company.
Family Managed Business programme
The Family Managed Business (FMB) programme is designed for candidates to lead their family businesses. The duration of the program is two years and includes a foreign visit. The participants spent a week at the institute to learn and the remaining three weeks of the month at their workplace. The duration of the Owner Manager Programme is twelve months. Selection requires sponsorship from the business, a test and a personal interview. The degree awarded is a Post Graduate Programme in Management.
SPJIMR has entered into collaboration with many corporate entities, academic organisations and non-profits to offer specialised programmes, seminars, workshops and symposiums. The process of course design and deployment is done in collaboration with the industry. For example, in 2003, it rolled out a course on service management by incorporating feedback and guest faculty support from GE, while in 2007, it partnered with Patni Computer Systems to create specialised courses in the area of supply chain management.
In 2004, SPJIMR partnered with Virginia Tech on a two-year programme titled PGDSM- MIT, which led to a master's degree in Information Technology from Virginia Tech and Post Graduate Diploma in Systems Management from SPJIMR. The course was later discontinued, since AICTE did not approve this campus-sharing model . The same year, it partnered with Motilal Oswal Securities to conduct a course on equity research. Also in 2004, the institute launched a six-month diploma programme, Women and Political Governance, aimed at educating women who plan to join politics. The course was jointly created by the Times Foundation, Women's Movement for Peace and Prosperity (WMPP) and SPJIMR.
In 2007, SPJIMR signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Standard Chartered bank to introduce a special training programme on corporate banking for graduates through Bhavan's Centre for Inter Disciplinary Studies (BCIDS).
|Business – international|
|Medical - India|
|Business – India|
SPJIMR was ranked No. 16 by the QS Global 200 Business Schools Report in the Asia-Pacific region for 2012. In India, it was ranked 5th by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2011, No. 9 by the Hindustan Times' India's top 50 business schools of 2011, the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top B-Schools in India. and ranked #3 by Careers 360 (Magazine) Top Private B-Schools in India 2015.
- The Centre for European Business Studies, funded by the European Union was launched in 2009, in collaboration with ESB Reutlingen of Germany.
- The Centre for Development of Corporate Citizenship (DOCC) was established in the year to improve management skills of future managers in social sectors and to create awareness about the need to contribute to the society. it works closely with NGOs and corporates on consultancy and research assignments. The Centre f has its origins in SPJIMR's research project for ASSOCHAM on the issue of socio-economic development of rural India.
- SPJIMR has set up a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, and has partnered with the Wadhwani Foundation to launch the National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN).
- Established in 2000, the Project Management (PM) Cell focuses on institutionalising PM in the corporate community, through research, assessments, training, engagements and benchmarking.
- The Centre for IT (CIT) at SPJIMR was instituted in 1999. CIT engages in creation and delivery of knowledge pertaining to the use of IT
Lock, Stock & Trade
The Association of MBAs (AMBA) has accorded accreditation to SPJIMR's two-year PGDM, one-year PGPM and the Executive Management Programme (EMP). The PGDM programme is approved by AICTE and received "A" grade accreditation from the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) of India in 2003. The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) recognises the two-year PGDM course as equivalent to an MBA degree of an Indian university.
SPJIMR has a 7,000+ strong alumni network, which is also addressed as SPAN (SPJIMR Alumni Network). Over the years, the SPJIMR alumni have taken over many prestigious positions across the world. SPJIMR alumni include prominent entrepreneurs and business executives like Rajesh Jejurikar, Sunil Lulla, and Madan Padaki. Other notable alumni include actor Siddharth and Olympic champion Dipankar Bhattacharjee.
- Rajesh Jejurikar, President and Chief Executive - Farm Equipment & Two Wheelers, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd 
- Debjani Ghosh, VP, Sales and Marketing Group and MD, Intel, South Asia 
- Madan Padaki, Co-founder and Director of Sylvant Advisors 
- Sunil Lulla, Chairman and MD of Grey Group, India 
- Girish Wagh, Sr. Vice President & Head Project Planning and Program Management of Tata Motors 
- Shiju Radhakrishnan, Founder and CEO of iTraveller.com 
- Pradeep Kar, Founder, Chairman and Managing Director of Microland 
- Dipankar Bhattacharjee, Olympian and National Badmintion Champion, and Founder of Dipankar's Badminton Academy, Guwahati 
- "Press Notes - Dr.Ranjan Banerjee takes over as the Dean of SPJIMR". spjimr.org.
- "B School Rankings 2015, B School Rankings, top business schools, business school rankings, top 10 ranking, business schools ranking, b school india". mbauniverse.com.
- "Speech by Margaret Thatcher at the inauguration". margaretthatcher.org.
- "bhavans.info". bhavans.info.
- "Discover SPJIMR - S P Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai". spjimr.org.
- "Introduction". spjimr.org.
- "PGDM programme Overview - Post Graduate Diploma in Management Programme (PGDM) - Equivalent to 2 Year Full Time MBA - SPJIMR, Mumbai". spjimr.org.
- "'India's Best Business Schools' by Business Today". businesstoday.in.
- "SPJIMR - Accreditations and Achievements". spjimr.org.
- "Fortune 500 co to support Mumbai slum". Rediff.com. 28 June 2006. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Social Projects: SPJIMR Alumni". The Financial Express. 23 December 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "All the B-world's a stage". Calcutta: The Telegraph. 23 December 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Self-Reliance – SPJIMR Saga: S.P. Jain Institute of Management combines management studies with social responsibilities". India Business Insight. 8 June 2003.
- Kalpana Pathak (6 April 2006). "Studying Sonia". Business Standard. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Nivedita Mookerji (11 April 1999). "Self-study at SPJIMR this season". The Indian Express. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Mumbai-based B-schools Go Beyond Summer Projects". The Financial Express. 1 April 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2004.
- "Article Window". timesofindia.com.
- "Short haul MBA". Calcutta: The Telegraph. 28 September 2006. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- ESB Business School Reutlingen University (5 February 2015). "Startseite - CIEBS: Centre for Indio-European Business Studies". ciebs.de.
- "International MBA Program from Top Business Schools at SPJIMR, Mumbai India". spjimr.org.
- EMBA Home Archived 30 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "SPJIMR in Course Alliance With GE". The Financial Express. 16 July 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "B-schools Stress on Feedback of Course Relevance". The Financial Express. 24 May 2003. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "SPJIMR Partners with Patni for Courses in Supply Chain Management". IT News Online. 19 January 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "SPJIMR ties up with Virginia Tech to offer IT Master's degree in Mumbai". The Hindu Business Line. 16 October 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "B-schools Rope in Corporates To Deploy Courses". The Financial Express. 6 January 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Women bring in value-based politics: Gujrathi". The Times of India. 9 March 2004. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Stanchart to train grads in corporate banking". Business Standard. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Della Bradshaw (9 November 2009). "Schulich launches MBA in India". Financial Times. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Eric Emin Wood (7 December 2009). "York opens MBA school in Mumbai". metronews.ca. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2011. Retrieved February 12, 2012.
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Top Business Colleges in India 2016". Careers360.
- "EU Centre for European Business Studies at SPJIMR". Education Times (The Times of India). 20 November 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- S.P. Jain's new programme to groom students. The Hindu. 25 September 2008.
- "Accredited MBA Programmes". AMBA. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Name of the Institutions whose Postgraduate Diploma in Management has been equated with MBA Degree". Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Executive Profile Rajesh Ganesh Jejurikar". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Opening up rural markets is our topmost priority: Debjani Ghosh". Business-standard.com. 2014-06-09. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "Sylvant to help 8 education startups raise $6 mn". Yourstory.com. 2015-05-21. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "South-South Learning Visit Feb 8-21 India" (PDF). Siteresources.worldbank.org. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Sunil Lulla appointed CMD for Grey Group India". Thehindubusinessline.com. 2014-07-04. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Sunil Lulla profile". Bloombergbusinessweek.com. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Designer Girish Wagh: The whizkid who shaped Tata Nano". Economictimes.com. 2008-01-12. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "How IIT alumni are turning funders and founders to create their own unique startup ecosystem". Economictimes.com. 2015-08-23. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "Tech Survivor". Digitaltoday.in. 2002-03-31. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "What they don't teach you at B-school". Businesstoday.in. 2009-10-18. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Dipankar's Badminton Academy". olympiandipankar.com. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR).|