S. S. Ahluwalia
|Surendrajeet Singh Ahluwalia|
|Member of the India Parliament
14 May 2014
|Preceded by||Jaswant Singh|
4 July 1951 |
Asansol, Burdwan district, West Bengal
|Political party||Bharatiya Janta Party|
|Children||3 sons and 2 daughters|
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta|
|As of 22 May, 2014
Surendrajeet Singh Ahluwalia (born 4 July 1951) is an Indian politician of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and is its National Vice President. He is the member of Parliament of India representing Darjeeling Loksabha constituency in West Bengal in the 16th Lok Sabha. Previously he was a Member of Parliament representing Bihar and Jharkhand in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament, over several terms from 1986-1992, 1992-1998, 2000–2006, and 2006-2012.
He was elected into the Parliament as an MP from Bihar, in the year 1986. Over the years of his career, he has held the posts of Minister for Urban Development, and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs in the Union Government.
He was also the Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, till 2012 when he lost his Rajya Sabha seat in the Jharkhand Rajya Sabha elections. He subsequently entered the Lok Sabha, winning the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from Darjeeling.  He is at present a Member of the National Executive Committee of the BJP.
- 1984 - 86 Member, the G.S. Dhillon Committee constituted by Government of India for providing relief and rehabilitation to the victims of the November 1984 riots in the country
- July 1986 Elected to Rajya Sabha
- 1986 - 92 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Science and Technology Member, General Council of the Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- 1987 - 88 Member, Select Committee on Medical Council Bill
- July 1992 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha ( 2nd term)
- 15 Sept 1995 - 16 May 1996 Union Minister of State in the Ministry of Urban Affairs and Employment (Department of Urban Employment and Poverty Alleviation) and Parliamentary Affairs April
- April 2000 Elected to Rajya Sabha from Bihar (allotted to represent the State of Jharkhand following reorganization of Bihar during the year)( 3rd Term)
- April 2000 - 2001 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Agriculture
- Sept 2000 - Aug 2004 Member, Committee on Finance
- 2001 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Information Technology
- Aug 2001 - April 2006 and June 2006 onwards Member, Business Advisory Committee
- Jan 2002 - Feb. 2004 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
- Aug 2002 - Aug. 2004 Member, Committee on Information Technology
- Jan 2003 - July 2004 Member, Committee of Privileges
- Aug 2004 - April 2006 and May 2006 onwards Member, Committee on Home Affairs
- Aug 2004 - April 2006 and June 2006 onwards Member, House Committee
- Sept 2004 - Oct 2007 Member, National Monitoring Committee for Minorities Education
- Oct 2004 - 2006 Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance
- April 2006 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha(4th term)
- June 2006 - Sept 2006 Member, Committee on Rules
- Sept 2006 onwards Member, Committee of Privileges
- April 2007 onwards Convenor, Sub-Committee on Civil Defence and Rehabilitation of J and K Migrants of the Committee on Home Affairs
- Sept 2007 onwards Member, Committee on Finance & Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology
- June 2010 – May 2012 - Deputy Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha.
- May 2012 - Lost the Rajya Sabha seat in the Jharkhand Rayja Sabha elections.
- May 2014 - Elected to the Lok Sabha, from the Darjeeling Parliamentary Constituency of West Bengal with active support of a local unrecognized party Gorkha Janmukti Morcha.
Speeches and other contributions in international forums
- 1989 - Attended the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) Human Rights Conference in Geneva, Switzerland as Alternate Leader of the Indian Delegation.
- Speech Transcripts from the Conference:
- Violation of Human Rights in the Occupied Arab Territories including Palestine Speech Transcript
- Right to Development Speech Transcript
- Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms Speech Transcript
- Torture and Enforced Disappearances Speech Transcript
- Report of Sub-Commission Speech Transcript
- Freedom of Religion Speech Transcript
- 2002 - Attended the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York, USA as a Delegate.
- Speech Transcripts from the Conference:
- Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Children Speech Transcript
- Social Development including questions relating to the World Speech Transcript
- Gender Equality, development and peace for the 21st Century Speech Transcript
- 2002 - Attended the International Parliamentarians Association for Information Technology (IPAIT) I Conference in Seoul, Korea as Chair of the Steering Committee and moderated over Theme 2. Joint Communiqué
- 2002 - Attended the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference in Windhoek, Namibia as Leader of the Indian Delegation. Speech Transcript
- 2008 - Attended the International Parliamentarians Association for Information Technology (IPAIT) VI Conference in Sofia, Bulgaria as Vice-President of IPAIT. Joint Communiqué
- 2010 - IPU: (i) Served as Reporteur in the First Standing Committee on Peace & International Security in the 109th Assembly of IPU in Geneva. (ii) Served as Vice-President of the Standing Committee on Democracy and Human Rights in the 122nd IPU Assembly in Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2012 April - Farewell speech in the Rajya Sabha upon his retirement. on YouTube
Joint Parliamentary Committees (JPC)
- Aug 1992 - Member of Joint Parliamentary Committee to inquire into Irregularities in Securities and Banking Transactions
- April 2001 - Member of Joint Parliamentary Committee on Stock Market Scam and matters relating thereto
- August 2003 - Member of Joint Parliamentary Committee on pesticide residues in food products and safety standards for soft drinks, fruit juices and other beverages
- JPC on Pesticide residue in soft drinks
- Report on Pesticide residue in soft drinks
- March 2011 - Member of Joint Parliamentary Committee to probe the irregular allocation of 2G Spectrum
- June 2015 - Chairman, Joint Committee of Parliament to look into provisions of Land Acquisition Amendment Bill 2015
- 4 Rajya Sabha MPs who asked questions
- S.S Ahluwalia Detailed Profile
- Profile on Rajya Sabha website
- BJP replaces Majhi with Ahluwalia in House panel on N-Bill
- Govt 'misusing' CBI as political tool, says BJP
- Caste-based census required: BJP
- BJP's view on Controversial Judges' Bill
- S.S. Ahluwalia's private member's bill in the Rajya Sabha - 'The Consumer Goods Bill'
- Omar attempts to ‘draw parallel line of secessionism’: BJP
- Statement by Mr. S.S. Ahluwalia, on the outcome of the 27th Special Session on Children on 15 October 2002
- Parliament Session & PM Statement on CVC: Shri SS Ahluwalia
- 'Verbal Knight' - Article on Shri S.S. Ahluwalia in The Week
- Ahluwalia draft resolution chosen
- Ahluwalia's Sense of the House draft liked by PM