S. Shanmuganathan (Sri Lankan politician)
|Member of the Sri Lanka Parliament|
for Vanni District
|Born||16 May 1960|
|Died||15 July 1998(aged 38)|
|Political party||Democratic People's Liberation Front|
|People's Liberation Organisation of Tamil Eelam|
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
Sarawanabavanandan Shanmuganathan (16 May 1960 – 15 July 1998; known as Vasanthan) was a Sri Lankan Tamil militant, politician and Member of Parliament.
Shanmuganathan was member of Vavuniya Urban Council. He contested the 1994 parliamentary election as one of the Democratic People's Liberation Front's candidates in Vanni District and was elected to Parliament.
Shanmuganathan was killed by a claymore mine in Irambaikkulam, Vavuniya District on 15 July 1998. The assassination was blamed on the rival rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. However, the pro-LTTE TamilNet claimed that Shanmuganathan had been the victim of an internal conflict within the PLOTE.
- "Shanmuganathan, Saravanabhavanadan". Parliament of Sri Lanka.
- Ferdinando, Shamindra (4 March 2013). "Eelam War II:LTTE in command - Part 112". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- "Vavuniya MP killed". TamilNet. 15 July 1998.
- "Result of Parliamentary General Election 1994" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-10-06.
- Athas, Iqbal (19 July 1998). "The Situation Report: Sauce for the State media is no sauce for us". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. (16 March 2008). "Assassinating Tamil Parliamentarians: The unceasing waves". The Nation (Sri Lanka).
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. (11 September 1999). "Who killed Manickathasan?". Frontline. 16 (19).
- "Vavuniya MP's funeral held". TamilNet. 19 July 1998.
|This article about a Sri Lankan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|