S. Y. Quraishi
Shahabuddin Yaqoob Quraishi
|17th Chief Election Commissioner of India|
30 July 2010 – 10 June 2012
|Prime Minister||Manmohan Singh|
|Preceded by||Navin Chawla|
|Succeeded by||V. S. Sampath|
|Born||11 June 1947|
Delhi, British India
Shahabuddin Yaqoob Quraishi (born 11 June 1947) served as 17th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. He was appointed as the CEC as the successor to Navin Chawla on 30 July 2010. He has also served as a Secretary in the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
He has authored a book titled 'An Undocumented Wonder - the Making of the Great Indian Election', a book that describes the enormity and complexity of the Indian election and a book titled Old Delhi- Living Traditions a coffee table book on the heritage city and its social and cultural life.
He now pursues his interests in academics by teaching & mentoring at Cluster Innovation Centre, University of Delhi in the capacity of Honorary Professor at the centre. He is also a current member of the International Elections Advisory Council.
While responding to Karan Thapar on the Devil's Advocate programme on the television channel CNN-IBN, he opposed the ideas of Right to Recall and Right to Reject advocated by Anna Hazare as not possible in India. However, after some time in a TV interview he said that Right to Reject can be considered.
Dr S Y Quraishi was awarded the Honorary Fellowship of the National Indian Students and Alumni Union UK in May 2016. He joined Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar, who were the first recipients of the Fellowship.
- Balaji, J. (28 July 2010). "Quraishi new Chief Election Commissioner". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- "India is secular because most Hindus are secular: Former CEC SY Quraishi".
- Government of India appointed Youth Affairs and Sports Secretary S Y Quraishi as Election Commissioner for a five-year term from IndiaDaily.Com
- Dr. S. Y. Quraishi has also attended the prestigious Jamia Millia Islamia, a Central University in New Delhi for his later education.S.Y. Quraishi appointed as election commissioner of India from YaHind.Com
- "V S Sampath is new Chief Election Commissioner". 6 June 2012.
- "CIC gets a galaxy of honorary professors that include famous scientists, academicians, bureaucrats".
- "CEC not for Right to Reject, Recall, suspects will destabilise country". Indiavision news. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi awarded honorary fellowship in UK". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Shahabuddin Yaqoob Quraishi.|