This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Video game developer|
|Industry||Computer and video game industry|
|Headquarters||Rohnert Park, California,|
|Products||Savage: The Battle for Newerth|
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul
Heroes of Newerth
Number of employees
S2 Games was a video game development company which was founded by Marc "Maliken" DeForest, Jesse Hayes, and Sam McGrath, based in Rohnert Park, California. They also have a development location in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
The company slogan was Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
Their first project (a real-time strategy, third-person shooter and role-playing game hybrid), Savage: The Battle for Newerth, was released in the Summer of 2003. They released its sequel, Savage 2: A Tortured Soul, on January 16, 2008, and are independently publishing and distributing it. Their latest installment in the Newerth series, Heroes of Newerth, based heavily around Defense of the Ancients, was released on May 12, 2010.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth (2003) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (2008) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Heroes of Newerth (2010) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Strife (2015) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage Resurrection (2016) (Windows)
- Brawl of Ages (2017) (Windows)
- In 2003, S2 Games released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, their first commercial game.
- In 2004, three former S2 Games employees left the company to form Offset Software.
- In 2006, S2 Games re-released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, as freeware.
- In 2008, S2 Games released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul.
- In 2009, S2 Games re-released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul as freeware.
- In 2010, S2 Games released Heroes of Newerth.
- In 2011, S2 Games re-released Heroes of Newerth as freeware/free-to-play.
- In 2012, S2 Games made all heroes in Heroes of Newerth completely free for online play.
- In 2012, over 10,000,000 Heroes of Newerth user accounts had been registered.
- In 2013, S2 Games announced Strife an upcoming "second generation MOBA".
- In 2015, S2 Games released Heroes of Newerth from its label into the hands of Frostburn Studios.
- In 2017, Savage Resurrection was re-released under a free-to-play model.
- In 2018, Strife and Brawl of Ages servers were shut down and S2 Games was quietly closed.
- Jones, Al (June 24, 2015). "CEO of video game maker S2 Games says it made sense to sell top game". MLive. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- Jones, Al (May 27, 2012). "S2 Games CEO says making video games in Kalamazoo is a lot of fun ... and games (photo gallery)". mlive.com. Oshtemo, Michigan. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- Smith, Chris (May 6, 2015). "Garena aquires Heroes of Newerth from S2 Games as Frostburn Studios". TweakTown. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- Jones, Al (June 18, 2015). "Video game maker Frostburn Studios rises as S2 Games moves on". mlive.com. Michigan, USA. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- LeBlanc, Dee-Ann (August 28, 2006). "Get Your Game On - S2 Games". Linux Journal. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
|This United States video game corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|