|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Video game developer|
|Industry||Computer and video game industry|
|Headquarters||Kalamazoo, Michigan, US|
|Products||Savage: The Battle for Newerth
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul
Heroes of Newerth
Number of employees
|Slogan||Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.|
S2 Games is a video game development company which was founded by Marc "Maliken" DeForest, Jesse Hayes, and Sam McGrath, based in Rohnert Park, California. They also have a development location in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Their first project (a real-time strategy, third-person shooter and role-playing game hybrid), Savage: The Battle for Newerth, was released in the Summer of 2003. They released its sequel, Savage 2: A Tortured Soul, on January 16, 2008, and are independently publishing and distributing it. Their latest installment in the Newerth series, Heroes of Newerth, based heavily around Defense of the Ancients, was released on May 12, 2010. In 2015 S2 Games sold the rights to Heroes of Newerth to Garena to focus on Strife, their second-generation MOBA. Garena subsequently moved Heroes of Newerth to Frostburn Studios, a Kalamazoo, Michigan based subsidiary of Garena.
- Savage: The Battle for Newerth (2003) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (2008) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Heroes of Newerth (2010) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Strife (2015) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- Savage Resurrection (2016) (Windows, Macintosh, Linux)
- In 2003, S2 Games released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, their first commercial game.
- In 2004, three former S2 Games employees left the company to form Offset Software.
- In 2006, S2 Games re-released Savage: The Battle for Newerth, as freeware.
- In 2008, S2 Games released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul.
- In 2009, S2 Games re-released Savage 2: A Tortured Soul as freeware.
- In 2010, S2 Games released Heroes of Newerth.
- In 2011, S2 Games re-released Heroes of Newerth as freeware/free-to-play
- In 2012, S2 Games made all heroes in Heroes of Newerth completely free for online play
- In 2012, over 10,000 Heroes of Newerth user accounts had been registered.
- In 2013, S2 Games announced Strife an upcoming "second generation MOBA"
- In 2015, S2 Games released Heroes of Newerth from its label into the hands of Frostburn Studios
- Jones, Al (24 June 2015). "CEO of video game maker S2 Games says it made sense to sell top game". mlive.com (Kalamazoo, MI, USA).
- Jones, Al (27 May 2012). "S2 Games CEO says making video games in Kalamazoo is a lot of fun ... and games (photo gallery)". mlive.com (Oshtemo, Michigan). Retrieved 6 Feb 2016.
- Jones, Al. "CEO of video game maker S2 Games says it made sense to sell top game". mlive.com (Kalamazoo, MI). Retrieved 6 Feb 2016.
- Smith, Chris (6 May 2015). "Garena aquires Heroes of Newerth from S2 Games as Frostburn Studios". TweakTown. Retrieved 6 Feb 2016.
- Jones, Al (18 June 2015). "Video game maker Frostburn Studios rises as S2 Games moves on". mlive.com (Michigan, USA). Retrieved 6 Feb 2016.
- LeBlanc, Dee-Ann (28 Aug 2006). "Get Your Game On - S2 Games". Linux Journal. Retrieved 6 Feb 2016.
|This United States video game corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|