|Industry||Computer hardware, software|
|John O'Brien, CEO|
|Products||systems, embedded software and silicon design|
Number of employees
Founded in 1986 as Silicon & Software Systems (S3), S3 Group has a history in systems, embedded software and silicon design for consumer, wireless, WiMAX and related applications. The company has over 200 employees serving clients who include: Fujitsu, Motorola, NXP Semiconductors, Philips, Cisco, Texas Instruments, DirecTV, OpenTV amongst others.
S3 Group is involved in areas such as
- End-to-end pay TV broadcasting systems(satellite, cable, terrestrial and IPTV)
- Work on High Definition (HD) and Personal Video Recorder (PVR/DVR)- enabled products
- Wireless and broadcasting systems including Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMAX, T-DMB, DVB-H and Zigbee
- Designs for Set-Top Boxes and mobile handsets for System-on-Chip applications
- Design and product development for companies building consumer electronics, healthcare, etc.
S3 Group head office is in Dublin, Ireland with design centers in Dublin and Cork, Ireland, Wrocław in Poland, Prague in the Czech Republic and Lisbon in Portugal. S3 Group has a sales office in San Jose in Silicon Valley. In December 2005 there was a management buy-out (MBO) and the company was re-structured under new ownership by the management team, ACT Venture Capital who invested $13 million of venture capital and Philips Electronics, who were the former owners, maintained a small shareholding in the company. S3 Group has over 200 employees.
Product & Services
S3 Group has comprehensive SoC design capability supporting semiconductor and system clients to deliver complex IC products. S3 Group has over 35 designs delivered at 90 nm and 65 nm to date. S3 Group focuses on complex, power efficient Mixed Signal SoCs, using IP methodologies and design and verification techniques. S3 Group provides critical mass and flexible teams for large SoC design projects.
S3 Group provides Design and Consultancy services focused on the specific elements in the end-to-end architecture, design, development and production of e-Health systems.
S3 Group provides services, products and IP to the Digital TV industry. S3 Group has over 14 years experience working with global operators, Set-Top Box (STB) manufacturers, middleware vendors, conditional access vendors and semiconductor companies. S3 Group is specializing in System Integration Services, Consultancy Services, Equipment Upgrade and Maintenance and Product IP
- S3 Open Silicon Valley Design centre
- Silicon and Software Systems (S3) has acquired Acacia Semiconductor
- S3 to invest €9m in R&D in Dublin and Cork
- Silicon and Software Systems (S3) yesterday completed a distribution agreement in Shanghai with Beijing Microtec Research (BMR) for its software product Embeddedmind
- Silicon & Software Systems (S3) Introduces 90nm IP Portfolio for Consumer and Enterprise Networking Applications
- S3 takes over Portuguese firm
- Silicon Firm to invest 9M
- S3 investment to create 20 jobs
- Venture capital investment rises 13%
- S3 closes ACT Venture deal
- Design firm S3 continues expansion
- S3's embeddedMIND(tm) extends Wind River VxWorks support
- Xilinx and Silicon & Software Systems (S3) announce PCI design services partnership
- Silicon & Software Systems (S3) announces a Euro10 million investment by ACT Venture Capital
- Silicon & Software Systems (S3) Announces A Range Of Applications
- S3 - Honored as a Key Contributor to Award Winning Medical Product Design
- S3 Collaborates with Hantro to Demonstrate DVB-H Software Evaluation Platform
- S3 designs right-first-time in 90nm technology
- Article on Motorola partnership http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detailpf.jsp?globalObjectId=2086_1685_23
- Interactive TV Today Article http://www.itvt.com/wvwuaitvtissue6.96pt2.html#technology.13 and http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/software-services-applications-network-software/8390605-1.html
- Dr Herbert BächlerChief Technology Officer Phonak Hearing Systems – http://www.s3group.com/about-us/client-testimonials/