|Locale||Munich, Bavaria, Germany|
|Rolling stock||DBAG Class 423|
|Electrification||15 kV, 16.7 Hz AC Overhead lines|
S8: stations and transfer opportunities
|Source: German railway atlas|
The line is operated at 20 minute intervals between Weßling and Munich Airport. Two out of three trains an hour continue from Weßling to Herrsching, so that the gap between trains alternates between 20 and 40 minutes. It is operated using class 423 four-car electrical multiple units, usually as two coupled sets. In the evenings and on Sundays they generally run as single sets.
The line runs over lines built at various times:
- from Herrsching to Pasing over the Munich–Herrsching railway, opened on 1 July 1903 by the Royal Bavarian State Railways
- from Pasing to the beginning of the S-Bahn trunk line over tracks running parallel to the Munich–Augsburg railway, opened by the Munich–Augsburg Railway Company on 1 September 1839
- the S-Bahn trunk line from the approaches to Munich Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) to Munich East station, opened on 1 May 1971
- from Munich East to Ismaning over the Munich East–Ismaning railway, opened by the Royal Bavarian State Railways. The section through Ismaning was placed underground in 1992 and the section through Unterföhring station was placed underground in 2005.
- from Ismaning to Munich Airport over a section of the Munich East–Munich Airport railway opened by Deutsche Bundesbahn in 1992.
S-Bahn services commenced in 1992 as S-Bahn line between Munich Airport and Pasing. Later it was merged with line , which had previously run between Nannhofen (now Mammendorf) and Ismaning. Since December 2009, line has run from Pasing to Herrsching instead of Mammendorf, taking over a section of the former line 5 from Herrsching to Ebersberg.
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2009/2010 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2009. pp. 107, 164–7. ISBN 978-3-89494-139-0.
- "History of the Pasing-Herrsching branch line" (in German). Wörthsee-Online. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- Wolfgang Klee (1994). Bayerische Eisenbahngeschichte - part 1: 1835-1875, Bayern Report 1 (in German). Fürstenfeldbruck: Hermann Merker Verlag.
- Reinhard Pospischil, Ernst Rudolph (1997). S-Bahn München. Düsseldorf: Alba. p. 205. ISBN 3-87094-358-0.
- "Munich East–Munich Airport railway" (in German). nordostkultur-muenchen.de. Retrieved 19 March 2013.