This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016)
- S, Submarine platform
- 9, Ninth generation core designed by the contractor
- G, General Electric was the contracted designer
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)
This pressurized water reactor (PWR) style nuclear reactor, designed by Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (then managed by General Electric), is designed to have increased energy density, and new plant components, including a new steam generator design featuring improved corrosion resistance and reduced life-cycle costs. The steam generator will alleviate the corrosion concerns encountered in existing designs of steam generators, while reducing component size and weight and providing greater flexibility in overall arrangement. The reactor is designed to operate for 33 years without refueling.
- "Nuclear Marine Propulsion", Ragheb, M., 2/4/09, p. 9.
- "Ending the Production of Highly Enriched Uranium for Naval Reactors", Chunyan, Ma & von Hippel, Frank, The Nonproliferation Review, Spring 2001, p. 4.
- World-nuclear.org- Retrieved 2018-05-13