|A Saiman 202M is on display at the Gianni Caproni Museum of Aeronautics in Trento, Italy.|
|Role||Two-seat cabin touring monoplane|
|Manufacturer||Società Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Navali|
|Primary user||Italian Air Force|
|Number built||390 |
The SAIMAN 202 was a 1930s Italian two-seat cabin monoplane designed and built by the Società Industrie Meccaniche Aeronautiche Navali (SAIMAN).
Designed in response to an Italian Air Ministry requirement for a two-seat cabin monoplane, the SAIMAN 202 prototype (registered I-BOTT) first flew in early 1938. The 202 was a low-wing cantilever monoplane with a fixed tailwheel landing gear. It had a nose-mounted 120 hp (74 kW) de Havilland Gipsy Major engine. An enclosed cockpit had side-by-side seating for two. The first production aircraft were for civilian use with Italian training organisations and designated SAIMAN 202bis. The 202bis had only minor cabin changes but the next variant (the 202/I) was a major re-design with an improved fuselage re-positioned tailplane. To compete in a 1939 touring aircraft rally two special aircraft were developed; a 202 RL with an Alfa Romeo 110 engine which were now standard for the civilian production aircraft, and the 204 R which was a four-seater with lengthened cabin and longer nose and powered by an Alfa Romeo 115 engine.
To meet an urgent operational requirement for military trainers, the Regia Aeronautica ordered a simplified version of the 202 RL as the 202/M in October 1939. CNA built 85, SACA built 65 and SAIMAN built 215 aircraft for the Regia Aeronautica flying schools. Aircraft were also used for liaison duties and Italian Air Attaches. A number of aircraft were captured.
- SAIMAN 202
- Prototype with 120hp (74kW) de Havilland Gipsy Major engine.
- SAIMAN 202bis
- Civil production aircraft
- SAIMAN 202/I
- Improved version
- SAIMAN 202 RL
- One special variant for rally use.
- SAIMAN 202/M
- Military production aircraft, 365 built.
- SAIMAN 204 R
- One four-seat variant for rally use.
Data from 
- Crew: 2
- Length: 7.65 m (25 ft 1¼ in)
- Wingspan: 10.66 m (34 ft 11¾ in)
- Height: 1.91 m (6 ft 3¼ in)
- Wing area: 17.66 m2 (190.10 ft2)
- Empty weight: 670 kg (1477 lb)
- Gross weight: 930 kg (2050 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Alfa Romeo 110-1 inline piston engine, 89 kW (120 hp)
- Maximum speed: 220 km/h (137 mph)
- Range: 600 km (373 miles)
- Service ceiling: 5050 m (16,570 ft)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saiman 202.|
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.