Sarayköy Nuclear Research and Training Center
|Formation||July 1, 2005|
|Purpose||Research and training|
The Sarayköy Nuclear Research and Training Center (Turkish: Sarayköy Nükleer Araştırma ve Eğitim Merkezi), known as SANAEM, is a nuclear research and training center of Turkey. The organization was established on July 1, 2005 as a subunit of Turkish Atomic Energy Administration (Turkish: Türkiye Atom Enerjisi Kurumu, TAEK) at Kazan district in northwest of Ankara on an area of 42.3 ha (105 acres).
The center can be visited for technical purposes upon application.
- total alpha and beta radioactivity analysis in drinking water,
- Tritium analysis in drinking water,
- analysis of Cs-134 and Cs-137 radionuclides in food,
- analysis of Ra-226, Th-232, Cs-137 and K-40 radionuclides in earth and building materials,
- analysis of Ra-226, U-234 and U-238 isotopes with alpha particle energy spectrometry method in water.
The center consists of a wide range of laborateries as listed below:
- Alpha/beta particle spectroscopy laboratory,
- Liquid scintillation spectrometry laboratory,
- Alpha particle spectrometry laboratory,
- Gamma particle spectrometry laboratory,
- C14 dating laboratory,
- Radon screening laboratory,
- Analytical measurement and analysis laboratories,
- Chemical elements and stable isotopes analysis laboratory,
- Chromatography laboratory,
- Spectroscopy laboratory,
- Nuclear electronics laboratory,
- Film dosimetry laboratory,
- Thermoluminescent dosimetry laboratory
- Finger ring dosimetry laboratory,
- Environmental radiological monitoring activity,
- Medical physics applications laboratory,
- Radiation source quality control test laboratory,
- Molecular genetics laboratory,
- Stable isotopes laboratory,
- Differential scanning calorimetry and Thermogravimetric analysis in material characteriztion laboratory,
- Microscopy laboratory,
- Nuclear fusion laboratory,
- Plasma physics laboratory,
- Nuclear fission laboratory,
- Radiation microbiology laboratory,
- Food microbiology laboratory,
- Food irradiation determination laboratory,
Gamma radiation facility
Electron accelerator facility
Proton accelerator facility
The country's first proton accelerator facility (Turkish: Proton Hızlandırıcı Tesisi, TAEK-PHT) is housed in a separate building of two stories built on a ground area of 3,100 m2 (33,000 sq ft). The building consists of a cyclotron room, four target rooms, six production laboratories, three quality control laboratories, a R&D laboratory and storage rooms for material and waste.
Facility's groundbreaking was held on February 24, 2010. The building was constructed by the Turkish Housing Development Administration (TOKİ), and it was completed on December 12, 2010. The installation of the proton accelerator and all the equipment needed concluded in 2011. The facility was officially opened on May 30, 2012 by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
The cyclotron type proton accelerator "CYCLONE-30" has a variable beam energy between 15 and 30 MeV and variable beam current up to 1.2 mA. It was designed, manufactured and installed by Belgian Ion Beam Applications S.A. (IBA). The cyclotron cost 11.6 million EUR.
With the cyclotron, four beamlines can be generated, three beamlines for radiositope production and one for research and development works. With the proton bombardment following radioisotopes are produced in three separate target rooms:
- Indium-111, gallium-67, thallium-201 on solid target material,
- Fluorine-18 on liquid target material,
- Iodine-123 on evaporated target material.
These radioisotopes and radiopharmaceuticals produced from those radioisotopes are used for the diagnosis and therapy of diseases like cancer, neurological disorder, brain physiology and pathology as well as coronary artery disease.
- "Türkiye Atom Enerjisi Kurumu-Sarayköy Nükleer Araştırma ve Eğitim Merkezi" (in Turkish). TAEK. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- Yüksel, Alper Nazmi (2009-09-10). "TAEK Proton Hızlandırıcı Tesisi Kapsamı ve Hedefleri" (in Turkish). CERN. Retrieved 2012-06-02. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "c" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Proton Hızlandırıcı Tesisi" (in Turkish). TAEK. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Turkey opens first particle accelerator". Hürriyet Daily News. 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "TAEK Proton Hızlandırıcısı Tesisi Açıldı" (in Turkish). TAEK. 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Cyclone 30" (PDF). IBA Cyclotron Solutions. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Sarayköy Nükleer Araştırma ve Eğitim Merkezi" (in Turkish). TAEK. Retrieved 2012-05-31.