SPS12 Revision 120 / May 11, 2016
|Written in||C, C++|
|Website||SAP HANA DB|
SAP HANA is an in-memory, column-oriented, relational database management system developed and marketed by SAP SE. Its primary function as database server is to store and retrieve data as requested by the applications. In addition, it performs advanced analytics (predictive analytics, spatial data processing, text analytics, text search, streaming analytics, graph data processing) and includes ETL capabilities as well as an application server.
During the early development of SAP HANA, a number of technologies were developed or acquired by SAP SE. These included TREX search engine (in-memory column-oriented search engine), P*TIME (in-memory OLTP Platform acquired by SAP in 2005), and MaxDB with its in-memory liveCache engine. The first major demonstration of the platform was in 2008: teams from SAP SE, the Hasso Plattner Institute and Stanford University demonstrated an application architecture for real-time analytics and aggregation. Former SAP SE executive, Vishal Sikka, mentioned this architecture as "Hasso's New Architecture". Before the name "HANA" stabilized, people referred to this product as "New Database".
The software was previously called "SAP High-Performance Analytic Appliance".
The first product shipped in late November 2010. By mid-2011, the technology had attracted interest but the experienced business customers still considered it "in early days". HANA support for SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse was announced in September 2011 for availability by November.c
In 2012, SAP promoted aspects of cloud computing. In October 2012, SAP announced a platform as a service offering called the SAP HANA Cloud Platform and a variant called SAP HANA One that used a smaller amount of memory.
The index server performs session management, authorization, transaction management and command processing. The database has both a row store and a columnar store. Users can create tables using either store, but the columnar store has more capabilities and most frequently used. The index server also manages persistence between cached memory images of database objects, log files and permanent storage files. XS engine allows to build web applications.
SAP HANA Information Modeling (also known as SAP HANA Data Modeling) is a part of HANA application development. Modeling is the methodology to expose operational data to the end user. Reusable virtual objects (named calculation views) are used in the modelling process.
HANA manages concurrency through the use of multiversion concurrency control (MVCC), which gives every transaction a snapshot of the database at a point in time. When an MVCC database needs to update an item of data, it will not overwrite the old data with new data, but will instead mark the old data as obsolete and add the newer version.
- Linux on x86-64 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and SUSE distributions are supported)
- Linux on POWER Systems
SAP HANA can be deployed on-premises as an appliance from a certified hardware vendor or on certified hardware with tailored data center integration (TDI). With tailored data center integration (TDI) approach, existing hardware components such as storage and network can be reused. Both horizontal and vertical scalability are supported. HANA is also available in the cloud as a Database as a Service on Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Softlayer, Huawei FusionSphere, HP Helion, or the SAP Cloud Platform (PaaS) as well as SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud (MCaaS).
SAP HANA licensing is primarily divided into two categories.
Used to run SAP applications such as SAP Business Warehouse powered by SAP HANA and SAP S/4HANA.
Full Use License:
Used to run both SAP and non-SAP applications. This licensing can be used to create custom applications.
As part of the full use license, features are grouped as editions targeting various use cases.
- Base Edition: Provides core database features and development tools but does not support SAP applications.
- Platform Edition: Base edition plus spatial, predictive, R server integration, search, text, analytics, graph engines and additional packaged business libraries.
- Enterprise Edition: Platform edition plus additional bundled components for some of the data loading capabilities and the rule framework.
In addition, capabilities such as streaming and ETL are licensed as an additional options.
- Comparison of relational database management systems
- Comparison of object-relational database management systems
- Database management system
- List of relational database management systems
- List of column-oriented DBMSes
- List of in-memory databases
- List of databases using MVCC
- Support Package Stack 12 (Last Update: May 11, 2016, Revision 120)
- Jeff Kelly (July 12, 2013). "Primer on SAP HANA". Wikibon. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- on YouTube (December 8, 2012)
- Vey, Gereon; Krutov, Ilya (January 2012). "SAP In-Memory Computing on IBM eX5 Systems" (PDF). Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- SAP SE (June 17, 2012). "SAP HANA Timeline". SlideShare. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Vishal Sikka: Timeless Software". Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "What is SAP HANA Database". Gucons web site. 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (December 1, 2010). "SAP launches HANA for in-memory analytics: The in-memory analytic appliance will compete with next-generation data-processing platforms such as Oracle's Exadata machines". Info World. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (September 15, 2011). "SAP's HANA is hot, but still in early days". Network World. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Courtney Bjorlin (November 9, 2011). "SAP Begins BW on HANA Ramp-Up, First Big Test for the HANA Database". ASUG News. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Trevis Team (April 30, 2012). "SAP Headed For $71 On Cloud, Mobile And HANA Growth". Forbes. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "SAP Introduces SAP HANA Cloud, an In-Memory Cloud Platform". Database Trends and Applications. 2012-10-24. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- "Overview | SAP HANA Cloud Platform". hcp.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- IBM Cloud AMM for SAP HANA One
- Doug Henschen (October 17, 2012). "SAP Launches Cloud Platform Built On Hana". Information Week. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Brian McKenna (January 11, 2013). "SAP puts Business Suite on HANA, joins transactional to analytical". Computer Weekly. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "Sapphire 2013: Business Suite on HANA goes to general availability". Computer Weekly. May 15, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Chris Kanaracus (May 7, 2013). "SAP unveils HANA Enterprise Cloud service: Customers will be able to run their applications on the HANA-powered cloud". Network World. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- "SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud". hana.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.
- John Appleby (May 28, 2012). "Update III: The SAP HANA FAQ - answering key SAP In-Memory questions". Bluefin Solutions. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- https://intellipaat.com/tutorial/sap-hana-tutorifferent purposes.
- "SAP HANA Hardware and Software Requirements".
- "SAP HANA on Power with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Applications".
- "Certified SAP HANA® Hardware Directory". global.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Datacenter integration is the new 'table stakes' | #SAPPHIRENOW". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "SAP HANA Tailored Data Center Integration - SAP HANA Technical Operations Manual - SAP Library". help.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "SAP chooses IBM as a premier strategic provider of Cloud infrastructure services for its business critical applications".
- "Huawei Announces Availability of SAP HANA® Running on Huawei FusionSphere-huawei press center". huawei. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "HP News - HP and SAP Accelerate Journey to SAP® S/4HANA on HP Helion Managed Cloud". www8.hp.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "Overview | SAP Cloud Platform". hcp.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud | Services". SAP. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "Update IV: The SAP HANA FAQ - answering key SAP In-Memory questions". www.bluefinsolutions.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "SAP HANA in-memory DBMS overview". Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "SAP HANA Options and Additional Capabilities – SAP Help Portal Page". help.sap.com. Retrieved 2016-07-08.