|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||451.989 g/mol|
|3D model (Jmol)|
|(what is this?)|
SB-271046 is a drug which is used in scientific research. It was one of the first selective 5-HT6 receptor antagonists to be discovered, and was found through high-throughput screening of the SmithKline Beecham Compound Bank using cloned 5-HT6 receptors as a target, with an initial lead compound being developed into SB-271046 through a structure-activity relationship (SAR) study. SB-271046 was found to be potent and selective in vitro and had good oral bioavailability in vivo, but had poor penetration across the blood–brain barrier, so further SAR work was then conducted, which led to improved 5-HT6 antagonists such as SB-357,134 and SB-399,885.
SB-271046 was found to increase levels of the excitatory amino acid neurotransmitters glutamate and aspartate, as well as dopamine and noradrenaline in the frontal cortex and hippocampus of rats, and 5-HT6 antagonists have been shown to produce nootropic effects in a variety of animal studies. Suggested applications of these drugs include treatment of schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders.
- Bromidge, SM; Brown, AM; Clarke, SE; Dodgson, K; Gager, T; Grassam, HL; Jeffrey, PM; Joiner, GF; et al. (1999). "5-Chloro-N-(4-methoxy-3-piperazin-1-yl- phenyl)-3-methyl-2-benzothiophenesulfon- amide (SB-271046): a potent, selective, and orally bioavailable 5-HT6 receptor antagonist". Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 42 (2): 202–5. doi:10.1021/jm980532e. PMID 9925723.
- Ahmed, M; Briggs, MA; Bromidge, SM; Buck, T; Campbell, L; Deeks, NJ; Garner, A; Gordon, L; et al. (2005). "Bicyclic heteroarylpiperazines as selective brain penetrant 5-HT6 receptor antagonists". Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 15 (21): 4867–71. doi:10.1016/j.bmcl.2005.06.107. PMID 16143522.
- Dawson, LA; Nguyen, HQ; Li, P (2000). "In vivo effects of the 5-HT6 antagonist SB-271046 on striatal and frontal cortex extracellular concentrations of noradrenaline, dopamine, 5-HT, glutamate and aspartate". British Journal of Pharmacology. 130 (1): 23–6. doi:10.1038/sj.bjp.0703288. PMC . PMID 10780993.
- Lacroix, LP; Dawson, LA; Hagan, JJ; Heidbreder, CA (2004). "5-HT6 receptor antagonist SB-271046 enhances extracellular levels of monoamines in the rat medial prefrontal cortex". Synapse. 51 (2): 158–64. doi:10.1002/syn.10288. PMID 14618683.
- Dawson, LA; Nguyen, HQ; Li, P (2001). "The 5-HT(6) receptor antagonist SB-271046 selectively enhances excitatory neurotransmission in the rat frontal cortex and hippocampus". Neuropsychopharmacology. 25 (5): 662–8. doi:10.1016/S0893-133X(01)00265-2. PMID 11682249.
- Rogers, DC; Hagan, JJ (2001). "5-HT6 receptor antagonists enhance retention of a water maze task in the rat". Psychopharmacology. 158 (2): 114–9. doi:10.1007/s002130100840. PMID 11702084.
- Foley, AG; Murphy, KJ; Hirst, WD; Gallagher, HC; Hagan, JJ; Upton, N; Walsh, FS; Regan, CM (2004). "The 5-HT(6) receptor antagonist SB-271046 reverses scopolamine-disrupted consolidation of a passive avoidance task and ameliorates spatial task deficits in aged rats". Neuropsychopharmacology. 29 (1): 93–100. doi:10.1038/sj.npp.1300332. PMID 14571256.
- Marcos, B; Chuang, TT; Gil-Bea, FJ; Ramirez, MJ (2008). "Effects of 5-HT6 receptor antagonism and cholinesterase inhibition in models of cognitive impairment in the rat". British Journal of Pharmacology. 155 (3): 434–40. doi:10.1038/bjp.2008.281. PMC . PMID 18622410.
- Minabe, Y; Shirayama, Y; Hashimoto, K; Routledge, C; Hagan, JJ; Ashby Jr, CR (2004). "Effect of the acute and chronic administration of the selective 5-HT6 receptor antagonist SB-271046 on the activity of midbrain dopamine neurons in rats: an in vivo electrophysiological study". Synapse. 52 (1): 20–8. doi:10.1002/syn.20002. PMID 14755629.
- De Foubert, G; O'Neill, MJ; Zetterström, TS (2007). "Acute onset by 5-HT(6)-receptor activation on rat brain brain-derived neurotrophic factor and activity-regulated cytoskeletal-associated protein mRNA expression". Neuroscience. 147 (3): 778–85. doi:10.1016/j.neuroscience.2007.04.045. PMID 17560041.
- Marcos, B; Aisa, B; Ramírez, MJ (2008). "Functional interaction between 5-HT(6) receptors and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis: cognitive implications". Neuropharmacology. 54 (4): 708–14. doi:10.1016/j.neuropharm.2007.11.019. PMID 18206183.
- Loiseau, F; Dekeyne, A; Millan, MJ (2008). "Pro-cognitive effects of 5-HT6 receptor antagonists in the social recognition procedure in rats: implication of the frontal cortex". Psychopharmacology. 196 (1): 93–104. doi:10.1007/s00213-007-0934-5. PMID 17922111.
|This drug article relating to the nervous system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|