SBS 6 logo since 2013
|Launched||28 August 1995|
|Owned by||SBS Broadcasting B.V.|
|Picture format||576i 16:9 (SDTV)
|Audience share||7.8% (2012, )|
|Sister channel(s)||NET 5
|Digitenne||Channel 6 (SD)|
|CanalDigitaal||Channel 6 (HD)|
|Ziggo||Channel 6 (HD)
Channel 930 (SD)
|Kabel Noord||Channel 6|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Netherlands only)|
SBS 6 is a Dutch commercial TV channel owned by SBS Broadcasting B.V., formerly a part of SBS Broadcasting Group and now owned by Sanoma Media Netherlands (67%) and Talpa Holding (33%). Other channels of the group in the Netherlands are NET 5, Veronica and SBS 9.
SBS stands for Scandinavian Broadcasting System. When the SBS Broadcasting Group started expanding outside of Scandinavia in 1995, one of the first countries where they set up a channel was the Netherlands with SBS 6. SBS 6 was the third Dutch commercial TV station after RTL 4 and RTL 5. SBS 6 launched on 28 August 1995.
When SBS 6 was launched, they were in a tough competition with the channel Veronica, which started as a commercial station at the same time. Both SBS 6 and Veronica wanted to be on channel 6 of the viewer's television.
The German ProSiebenSat.1 Media took over the parent company, SBS Broadcasting Group, on 27 June 2007. In 2011, all of SBS's activities in the Netherlands (through SBS Broadcasting B.V.), including the three TV stations (SBS 6, NET 5 and Veronica), the two TV guides (Veronica Magazine and Totaal TV), production, design and text activities were sold to a joint venture between Sanoma Media Netherlands (67%) and Talpa Media Holding (33%).
- According to Jim
- Close to Home
- Coronation Street
- Diagnosis: Murder
- Little House on the Prairie
- Medical Emergency
- My Wife and Kids
- NCIS: Los Angeles
- Space: Above and Beyond
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- The Mentalist
- The Sing-Off
- Under the Dome
- Who's the Boss?
- Bouw Je Droom
- Celblok H (an adaptation of the Australian drama Wentworth)
- De Hoofdprijs
- Domino Day
- Hart van Nederland
- Lotto Weekend Miljonairs
- Trauma Centrum
- BDO World Darts Championship
- Marathon Speedskating
- PDC World Darts Championship Summaries only (live on the website)
- Red Bull Air Race
- UEFA Champions League, since season 2015/2016
- World Cup/Europe Cup qualification of the Dutch national football team (all home and friendly matches)
- "Jaarrapport 2012" (PDF). Stichting Kijk Onderzoek.
- Westerhof, Jan (26 June 1995). "SBS 6 wil sensatie èn dicht-bij-huis 'Je moet dicht bij jezelf en de kijker blijven'". de Volkskrant. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Lange, Yasha (26 January 1999). "Publieke omroep niet bang voor commercieel Net 5". NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "VOO in jaartallen". Beeldengeluidwiki.nl. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Donald Koeleman (June 27, 2007). "ProSiebenSat.1 acquires SBS". Broadband TV News.
- Peter van der Ploeg (April 20, 2011). "Sanoma en Talpa nemen SBS over". NRC Handelsblad.