State Correctional Institution – Greene
|Location||Franklin Twp, Greene Co, PA|
|Security class||Maximum security, Supermax|
|Managed by||Pennsylvania Department of Corrections|
|Mumia Abu-Jamal, Jimmy Dennis, Jerry Sandusky|
SCI Greene is a maximum security prison, classified as a Supermax, located in Franklin Township, Greene County, Pennsylvania, near Waynesburg, off Interstate 79 and Pennsylvania Route 21. Pennsylvania Department of Corrections operates the prison, which houses most of Pennsylvania's capital case inmates.
Around 1996 some prisoners stated that some guards used more force than necessary to control them, and a video camera had captured evidence related to the complaint. Charles Graner, a prison guard who began working at SCI Greene in 1996, was the defendant in two lawsuits, each by a different prisoner; both lawsuits were dismissed as one disappeared after finishing his sentence and the other had submitted his lawsuit after a deadline. Graner later became known for the Abu Ghraib scandal.
Facility and operations
The prison had 11 cell blocks. As of 2012[update] SCI Greene had 1,750 prisoners and 720 employees. The death row prisoners are in blocks G and L; they normally stay in their cells but may go to a recreational area and the library. Greene was built with the newest features at the time, including central air conditioning.
The prison had cable television installed at the time of its opening.
As of the late 1990s many of the prisoners came from urban areas and almost 70% were black, while whites made up over 90% of the prison guards.
- Juan Covington, Philadelphia serial killer
- Russell Maroon Shoatz, Convicted in the murder of Police sergeant Francis Von Colln. Founder of Black United Movement in Philadelphia; former member of the Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation Army
- Daniel "Vito" Johnson - Philadelphia rapper
- Domenic Coia, convicted in the murder of Jason Sweeney
- Aaron Jones - Leader and co-founder of the Philadelphia drug gang J.B.M (Junior Black Mafia)
- Christopher Roney (alias Cool C) - Hip hop artist, convicted in the murder of Philadelphia Police Department officer Lauretha Vaird in a bank robbery
- America's Supermax Prisons Do Torture Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- "Franklin township, Greene county, Pennsylvania." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 23, 2010.
- "SCI Greene." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved on May 23, 2010.
- Wetzel, Dan. "Jerry Sandusky's slim chance for appeal hurt by decision to send him to supermax prison." (Archive) Yahoo! News. Thursday November 1, 2012. Retrieved on August 16, 2013.
- Lieberman, Paul and Dan Morain. "Unveiling the Face of the Prison Scandal." Los Angeles Times. June 19, 2004. Retrieved on July 9, 2016. p. 3.
- Yates, Riley. "Life on Death Row." McCall. August 4, 2012. p. 1.
- "Sandusky moved to prison housing death row inmates". Associated Press.
- "SCI Greene." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.
- Abuses at SCI Greene SuperMax