|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
SCORE International (Sanctioning Committee Off Road Events) is an off-road racing sanctioning body in the sport of desert racing and is famous for the Baja 500, San Felipe 250 and the Committee's flagship event; the Baja 1000. For the 2016 season, all five SCORE races are being held in Mexico for the first time. Founded by Mickey Thompson in 1973, SCORE International continues today under the current presidency of Roger Norman, who purchased the rights from Sal Fish in late 2012.
Baja races include motorcycles and quad bikes; which start staging at 5:15am and later released around 6am. Four-wheel vehicles start releasing approximately five hours later at around 11am. Race results are determined by calculating a finish time for each vehicle. The finish time for a vehicle can include time for penalties such as speeding. GPS tracking devices are used to enforce speed regulations and penalties on federal highways and highly congested areas.
Awards are given for the winner of each class (if a vehicle in the class finishes) as well as an overall winner across classes, overall four-wheel and overall motorcycle/ATV.
Points are awarded based on class finishing position. The racer with the most points at the end of the season is the overall class winner. In the following race season, the vehicle number will end in two zeros "00" to indicate that racer as the class champion. As an example the vehicle number for the Class 1 champion will be 100. Trophy Truck champion can run the #1. The starting order is generally determined by a random draw, except when preferential starts are given to those who finished in top positions in the previous race/season, or when qualifying is held. For Trophy Trucks & Class 1 vehicles, qualifying for the Baja 1000 is now held during SEMA at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Starting with Roger Norman's purchase of SCORE in 2012, vehicle numbers have become permanently assigned to each driver. Numbers 1-9 is reserved for the prior years driver standings for positions 1-9 respectfully. Numbers 10-99 will be available for assignment. Driver's who have used a number in the prior years season will be given first option for the same number in the current season.
SCORE International operates an "Ironman" class for racers that complete a race without any driver change. Commemorative ribbons are given to any racers who completed a race solely. Baja legend Ivan "Ironman" Stewart was the first racer to complete this phenomenal feat in 1975, capturing his first Baja 500 win before winning the 1976 Baja 1000 under this format.
Course terrain is primarily off-road in remote areas, however highway segments are used when an alternate off-road route is unavailable.
- Trophy Truck – Veh #1-99 (Trophy Truck Unlimited)
- Class 1 – Veh #100-199 (Unlimited single or two-seaters)
PRO LEVEL 2
- TT Spec – Veh #200-299 (Super 8-unlimited trucks/sport utility vehicles, stock, sealed V-8s)
- 8 – Veh #885-899 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks)
- 5 Unlimited – Veh #500-549 (Unlimited Baja Bugs)
- 12 SCORE Lites – Veh #1200-1299 (HDRA Lites-Limited single-1776cc-or two-seaters-1835cc)
- Heavy Metal – Veh #8000-8099 (Open Production Trucks, V8 engines)
- 10 – Veh #1000-1099 (Single or two-seaters limited engine)
- 3 – Veh #300-399 (Short wheelbase 4X4)
- 3000 – Veh #3000-3099 (Class 78-2,unlimited mini-truck, 2.2/2.4-Liter Ecotec engine)
- 1/2-1600 – Veh #1600-1699 (single or two-seaters to 1600cc)
- 7 – Veh #700-739 (Open Production – Mini Pick-Ups)
- Pro Truck – Veh #1350-1399 (Limited Production Trucks)
PRO LEVEL 3
- 11 – Veh #1100-1199 (Stock VW Sedans)
- 1700 JeepSpeed – Veh #1700-1799 (Jeep Speed Challenge)
- 3700 JeepSpeed – Veh #3700-3799 (Jeep Speed Cup)
- 5-1600 Ltd – Veh #550-599 (1600cc Baja Bugs)
- 7sx – Veh #740-759 (Modified, stock mini-trucks)
- 9 – Veh #900-999 (Short wheelbase, single or two-seaters)
- Stock Full – Veh #8100-8199 (Stock full-sized trucks)
- Stock Mini – Veh #760-799 (Stock mini trucks)
- 19 – Pro UTV – Veh #1900-1949
SPORTSMAN LEVEL 4
- Baja Challenge – Veh #BC1-BC99 (Spec open wheel cars)
- 2000 Ltd Truck – Veh #2000-2099
- 1400 Unlimited Open Truck – Veh #1400-1499
- 1500 Unlimited Buggy – Veh #1500-1599
- 19 – Unlimited UTV – Veh #1800-1899
PRO MOTO & ATV
- “Ironman” (Solo) Veh# 700x-799x
- Limited Pro (400cc or less) Veh# 100x-149x'
- Open Pro (401cc or more) Veh# 1x-49x
- 30 (Riders over 30 years old) Veh# 300x – 349x
- 40 (Riders over 40 years old) Veh# 400x-449x
- 50 (Riders over 50 years old) Veh# 500x-549x
- 60 (Riders over 60 years old) Veh# 600x-649x
- Pro Quad (450cc or more) Veh# 1a-49a
SPORTSMAN MOTO & ATV
- Sportsman M/C – (any engine size) Veh# 200x-299x
- Sportsman ATV – (any engine size) Veh# 100a-149a
|30th Bud Light SCORE San Felipe 250||San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico (one loop, approximately 250 miles)||February 25–28, 2016|
|2nd Bud Light SCORE Baja Sur 500||La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico (one loop, approximately 500 miles)||April 14–17, 2016|
|48th Bud Light SCORE Baja 500||Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico (one loop, approximately 500 miles)||June 1–5, 2016|
|1st Bud Light SCORE Desert Challenge||Rosarito Beach, Baja California, Mexico (15-16 mile loop, multi-lap, two-day race)||September 14–18, 2016|
|49th Bud Light SCORE Baja 1000||Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico (one loop, approximately 800 miles)||November 16–20, 2016|
Cars and Trucks
- SCORE Trophy Truck: Open Production Unlimited Trucks.
- SCORE Class 1: Unlimited open-wheel single-or two-seaters.
- SCORE Class 1/2-1600: Limited suspension. open-wheel single-or two-seaters. (1600cc)
- SCORE Class 2: Limited 2.2 liter buggy.
- SCORE Class 3: Production short wheelbase 4x4 Jeeps.
- SCORE Class 4: Unlimited 2.2 liter open wheel.
- SCORE Class 5: Unlimited Baja Bugs.
- SCORE Class 5-1600: Baja Bugs. (1600cc)
- SCORE Class 6: V6 powered tube chassis trucks
- SCORE Class 7: Open mini trucks.
- SCORE Class 7S: Stock mini trucks. (3000cc)
- SCORE Class 7SX: Modified mini trucks. (4000cc)
- SCORE Class 8: Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks.
- SCORE Class 9: Short wheelbase, open-wheel. single-or two-seaters. (1600cc)
- SCORE Class 10: Open-wheel single or two-seaters. (2000cc)
- SCORE Class 11: Stock VW Sedans. (1600cc)
- SCORE Lites Class 12: VW limited open-wheel. single seat (1776cc) or two-seaters (1835cc).
- SCORE Class 17: Production short wheelbase 4x4 Modified Jeeps.
- SCORE Stock Full: Stock full-sized trucks.
- SCORE Stock Mini: Stock mini trucks. (4300cc)
- SCORE Class M-Truck: 2 or 4-wheel drive medium utility vehicle with a minimum weight 12,000 pounds.
- SCORE Baja Challenge: Limited, identical open-wheel Baja touring cars.
- SCORE Sportsman Buggy:
- SCORE Sportsman Truck:
- SCORE Sportsman UTV: 660cc, 4-wheel utility vehicle.
- ProTruck: Limited Production Trucks governed by the Baja ProTruck Off-Road Race Series
- SCORE Class 20: 125cc or smaller two-stroke and 250cc or smaller four-stroke motorcycles.
- SCORE Class 21: 126cc to 250cc.
- SCORE Class 22: 250cc or more.
- SCORE Class 30: Riders over 30 years old.
- SCORE Class 40: Riders over 40 years old.
- SCORE Class 50: Riders over 50 years old.
- SCORE Class 60: Riders over 60 years old.
- Walker Evans
- Rod Hall
- Rod Millen
- Jimmie Johnson
- Robby Gordon
- Parnelli Jones
- Rob MacCachren
- Don McBride
- Corky McMillin
- Steve McQueen
- Gunnar Nilsson
- Larry Ragland
- Larry Roeseler
- Ivan Stewart
- Mickey Thompson
- Frank "Scoop" Vessels
- BJ Baldwin
- Marc Coma
- Paul Newman
- Mike "Mouse" McCoy
- Apdaly Lopez
In 2015, SCORE International opted to air their three original television series, Roost, Guererro, and SCORE International Off-Road Racing on digital video-on-demand platform, CarbonTV.
- Dust 2 Glory, the documentary about the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 race
- Dust to Glory, the documentary about the 2003 Baja 1000 race
- San Felipe 250
- Baja 500
- Baja 1000
- "SCORE OFF-ROAD RACING – SCORE-International.com". score-international.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels". www.mickeythompsontires.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Roger Norman Racing || #8 Crystal Bay Casino Trophy Truck". rogernormanracing.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- SCORE International (May 1, 2009). "Sal Fish Throws First Pitch at Dodgers Game". motorcycleusa.com. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
SCORE International CEO/President Sal Fish
- "Sal Fish sells SCORE International: New owner, desert racer Roger Norman, has big plans". Autoweek. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Score Baja Burgers and Beer". scorebajaburgersandbeer.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- SCORE International Off-Road Racing Rules and Regulatios 2011-2015.
- "About the SEMA Show". SEMA Show | Las Vegas Convention Center | Nov 3 - Nov 6, 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Las Vegas Motor Speedway". www.lvms.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Ivan Stewart Motorsports | Located in San Diego, California. New & used motorsport sales, service & parts!". ivanstewartmotorsports.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Racing Heroes – Ivan "Ironman" Stewart | Hemmings Daily". Hemmings Motor News. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "Dakar Challenge: Dakar". www.dakar.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- "SCORE crown jewel since 1967 (October 6, 2005)". Desert Racing. 5 November 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-03-06. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- Burns, Josh. “Kendall Norman, Quinn Cody Earn 2010 SCORE Baja 1000 Motorcycle Victory.” Off-Road.Com. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/race/kendall-norman-quinn-cody-earn-2010-score-baja-1000-motorcycle-victory-52939.html November 18, 2010 Retrieved 1:35 p.m., Sunday, April 6, 2014 (PDT).
- "E-commerce pioneer bike bandit’s ken wahlster". Dealer news. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "CarbonTV Search: score". CarbonTV. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- SCORE International (2011). "2011-2015 Off-Road Racing Rules and Regulations".
- SCORE International. "2009 New Classes & Existing Class Rule Amendments"
- Official SCORE International website
- Official SCORE International Journal
- Official SCORE International Carbon TV channel