|Public (LSE: SDL)|
Component content management
Digital asset management
|Adolfo Hernandez (Chief Executive Officer)|
|Revenue||£269.3 million (2012)|
|£35.8 million (2012)|
|£20.9 million (2012)|
Number of employees
|circa 5,000 (2014)|
SDL plc is a multinational software and professional services company headquartered in Maidenhead, UK. SDL specializes in; digital marketing software and services, structured content management and language translation software and services (including interpretation services). SDL are listed on the London Stock Exchange. SDL is an abbreviation for "Software and Documentation Localization".
The Company was founded by Mark Lancaster with nine employees in 1992. It opened its first overseas office in France in 1996 and was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1999. The company has grown organically via acquisitions. SDL acquired Polylang Multimedia in 1998, International Translation & Publishing (ITP) in 2000, Alpnet in 2001, and the machine translation (MT) assets of Transparent Language in 2001. It bought Trados, a rival translation memory (TM) developer, in 2005. In 2007, the company acquired Tridion, a content management system vendor, and PASS Engineering, developers of PASSOLO software. In 2008, it bought Idiom Technologies, a global information system management business. In December 2009, SDL acquired Fredhopper, a Dutch eCommerce onsite search and navigation, onsite targeting and targeted advertising software vendor. Later that same year, it bought Xopus, another Dutch company and the leader in online XML editing. In May 2011 SDL acquired Dutch-based Media Asset Management company, Calamares, in 2012 the campaign management and social media analytics company, Alterian, and in 2013, bemoko, a supplier of mobile web solutions.
SDL provides software and service solutions for language translation purposes. It has operations in 38 countries including Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Greece, Russia, United States of America, Canada, Brazil, Chile, Australia, Thailand, China, Poland, Japan, and India.
- Preliminary Results 2012 Archived February 21, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "What is the acronym of "SDL" in SDL Tridion". Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Rogers, Bruce. "SDL's Acquisitions Build Marketing Tech Stack of the Future". Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- SDL International: History Archived December 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- SDL buys Trados Columbus Translation Blog, 20 June 2015
- Real Story Group: SDL acquires Tridion Real Story Group, 24 April 2007
- PASSOLO goes SDL Tekom, May 2007
- SDL buys again picking up Idiom Archived 2009-12-14 at the Wayback Machine. Real Story Group, 11 February 2008
- Company Overview of Fredhopper Ltd., Businessweek
- SDL acquires XML editor Xopus Real Story Group, 6 July 2010
- SDL Acquires DAM Vendor Calamares: Start Of The Convergence Of WCM & DAM? DAM News, 5 May 2011
- SDL to buy Alterian after raising bid The Independent, 3 December 2011
- SDL plc Acquisition of bemoko Archived February 24, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- "SDL Announces Major Strategy Shift, Puts Units Up For Sale". Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- SDL offices around the globe