SECU, Stora Enso Cargo Unit, is a type of intermodal container (shipping container) built to transport bulk cargo like paper on railway and ship.
A SECU looks like a standard 40-foot ISO Container but is bigger, measuring 13.8×3.6×3.6 m (45×12×12 ft) and which can carry 80 tonnes (79 long tons; 88 short tons) of cargo. This is compared to the normal 12.2×2.7×2.4 m (40.0×8.9×7.9 ft) size and 26.5-tonne (26.1-long-ton; 29.2-short-ton) capacity of an ISO Container.
A SECU is too big and heavy to be transported on road (ISO-Containers are designed to fit roads), and instead they are transported only by railway and ship. A special vehicle or crane is used to load and unload them. Special railcars are also needed. They can be transported on truck ferries, but they don't fit normal container ships.
The benefit is that their much higher weight reduces the number of containers and therefore reduces handling cost. The drawback is that special solutions are needed.
They are invented and used by Stora Enso (forest and paper company). The ports used are mainly in production countries like Finland (Kotka, Oulu) and Sweden(Göteborg) and in consumer countries Belgium (Zeebrugge), UK (Tilbury, Immingham) and Germany (Lübeck).
The Stora Enso Cargo Unit has fixed legs so that the inner floor has a height of 874 millimetres (34.4 in) for an unloaded container - the basic container (without legs) has outer dimensions of 3600 by 3600 millimeters.
|Length||13,800 mm||45 ft 3 1⁄4 in||13,576 mm||44 ft 6 1⁄2 in|
|Width||3,600 mm||11 ft 9 3⁄4 in||3,430 mm||11 ft 3 in||3,430 mm||11 ft 3 in|
|Height||4,375 mm||14 ft 4 1⁄4 in||3,437 mm||11 ft 3 1⁄4 in||3,393 mm||11 ft 1 1⁄2 in|
- Kalmar power to drive Stora Enso cargo units operation for Port of Kotka
- Jaromír Široký (July 2010). "innovative system for the transportation of pager" (PDF).
- http://ec.europa.eu/transport/intermodality/motorways_sea/doc/2006_01_24_conference/vehvilainen_en.pdf MOTORWAYS OF THE SEA
- http://www.storaenso.com/media-centre/press-releases/2004/01/Pages/stora-enso-launches-a-joint-transport-supply-syste.aspx Stora Enso launches a joint Transport Supply System for the Nordic mills
- http://www.freightfreeways.com/media/Presentations/06%20-%20Stora%20Enso%20Clason.pdf RailNetEurope 2005-12-02 Stora Enso Transport and Distribution