SENS Research Foundation
|Founder||Aubrey de Grey, Jeff Hall, Michael Kope, Sarah Marr, Kevin Perrott|
|Aubrey de Grey, Kevin Dewalt, Jeff Hall, Michael Kope, Barbara J. Logan, Sarah Marr, Kevin Perrott|
The SENS Research Foundation is a non-profit organization that does research programs and public relations work for the application of regenerative medicine to aging. It was founded in 2009, located in Mountain View, California, USA. Annually the organization publishes its reports.
According to the organization site, it's goal is to "help build the industry that will cure the diseases of aging". It funds research and uses outreach and education in order to expedite the various regenerative medicine research programs that go together to make the SENS project. The foundation also conducts its own student program SRF Education.
The SENS Research Foundation pursues research projects that correspond to the seven categories of cellular damage due to aging:
|Aging Damage||Research Program||Description and related spin-off companies|
|Cell loss and cell atrophy||RepleniSENS|
|Intracellular waste products||LysoSENS|
|Extracellular waste products||AmyloSENS|
|Extracellular matrix stiffening||GlycoSENS|
In addition to research undertaken in-house at the Research Center in Mountain View, SRF has also taken part in and/or selectively funded extramural research at various other institutions, including Yale University, Harvard University, Cambridge University, University of Texas, Rice University, and University of Arizona.
Research advisory board
The SENS Research Foundation's research advisory board includes Pedro J. J. Alvarez, Anthony Atala, George Church, Judith Campisi, William A. Haseltine, Brian K. Kennedy, Jeanne Loring, María Blasco Marhuenda, Bruce Rittmann, Nadia Rosenthal, Rudolph E. Tanzi, Jan Vijg, Michael D. West, and Vladimir Skulachev.
Due to the close relationship between SENS Foundation and Methuselah Foundation and their common activities, during reading articles and public reports there are sometimes misundestanding about their budgets, directions and amounts of donations which can be distributed between these organizations for various purposes.
In 2011, Aubrey de Grey inherited $16.5 million on the death of his mother. Of this he assigned $13 million to fund SENS research, which by 2013 had the effect of roughly doubling the SRF yearly budget to $4 million.
According SRF annual reports,
- in 2017 its income was $7,871,530 and expenses $3,915,682 ($2,146,412 on research, $920,533 on education, $172,380 on outreach, $676,534 on administration).
- in 2018 - unclear, the annual report doesn't contain this information.
- in 2019 its income was $2,683,611 and expenses $4,361,258 ($2,331,364 on research, $859,222 on education, $642,056 on outreach, $582,616 on administration).
Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin donated $2.4 million in 2018. Then in 2020 Vitalik Buterin together with Sam Bankman-Fried and Haseeb Qureshi donated a total of $150,000 to SENS Research Foundation to combat aging and aging-related diseases at the choice of users of Twitter as a result of open voting.
- Ending Aging
- Buck Institute for Research on Aging
- Life Extension Advocacy Foundation
- Methuselah Foundation
- "SENS Research Foundation 2011 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "SENS Research Foundation 2018 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "SENS Research Foundation 2019 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "SENS Research Foundation 2020 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "About SENS Research Foundation". Official SENS site. Retrieved 2021-03-26.
- "RepleniSENS:Replacing Lost Cells". SENS Research Foundation. Retrieved 2020-12-31.
- "Plasmid based senolytics from Oisín Biotechnologies". Lifespan.io. Retrieved 2021-04-07.
- "Systemic Senolysis in Naturally Aged Mice". YouTube.
- Dr. John Lewis (2018-10-11). "Selective Ablation of Senescent and Malignant Cells using Apoptotic Gene Therapy" (lecture). University of Alberta.
- "MitoSENS: Preventing Damage from Mitochondrial Mutations". SENS Research Foundation. Retrieved 2020-12-31.
- Boominathan, Amutha; et al. (2016-09-04). "Stable nuclear expression of ATP8 and ATP6 genes rescues a mtDNA Complex V null mutant". Nucleic Acids Research. 44 (19): 9342–9357. doi:10.1093/nar/gkw756. PMID 27596602.
- "Fight Aging! Invests in Ichor Therapeutics to Support Development of a SENS Damage Repair Therapy for Macular Degeneration". Fight Aging!. 2016-08-15.
- "Revel Pharmaceuticals Finally Seed Funded to Develop Glucosepane Cross-Link Breakers". Fight Aging!. 2020-01-07.
- SENS Research Foundation Research Advisory Board
- "Internet Entrepreneur Jason Hope Pledges A Donation To SENS Foundation". December 9, 2010. Retrieved 2021-03-29.
- Ben Best (2013) "Interview with Aubrey de Grey, PhD". Life Extension Magazine.
- Bitcoin Transaction 10dd3b4bb1…
- Bitcoin Transaction f0aa1cc5bc…
- "The Pineapple Fund Donates Millions to the Organ Preservation Alliance and Methuselah Foundation". Fight Aging!. 2018-01-29.
- "SENS Research Foundation Receives $2.4 Million Ethereum Donation From Vitalik Buterin". SENS Research Foundation. 2018-02-02.
- Elena, Milova (March 20, 2018). "Vitalik Buterin: The Best Thing to Donate Money to is The Fight Against Aging". LIFE EXTENSION ADVOCACY FOUNDATION. Archived from the original on 2018-03-22. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Анна ДОБРЮХА (2018-03-20). "«Король Эфириума» Виталик Бутерин: лучшее, на что стоит жертвовать деньги — это борьба со старением" [«King of Ethereum» Vitalik Buterin: the best thing to donate money for is the fight against aging] (in Russian). Komsomolskaya Pravda.
- "Effective Altruism: Giving in Crypto". 2020-12-17.
- 2020 End of Year Fundraiser
- Michael Antonov Foundation: SENS Research Foundation
|Wikiversity has learning resources about SENS Research Foundation|