SFWA Young Player of the Year
The Scottish Football Writers' Association Young Player of the Year (often called the SFWA Young Player of the Year, or simply the Scottish Young Player of the Year) award is given to the footballer in the Scottish football league system, who is seen to have been the best young (under 23) player of the previous season. The shortlist is compiled by the members of the Scottish Football Writers' Association (the SFWA), who also vote for the winner. The prize is seen as the highest awarded to a young player as it names the "Young Player of the Year"; the footballer who is seen to have been the best young player over the previous season. The award was first made in 2002, and was won by Motherwell forward James McFadden.
List of winners
Breakdown of winners
Winners by club
|Club||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Hibernian||4||2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09|
|Dundee United||2||2010–11, 2012–13|
|Inverness Caledonian Thistle||1||2014–15|
|Heart of Midlothian||1||2003–04|
Winners by country
|Country||Number of wins||Winning seasons|
|Scotland||14||2001–02, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16|
- SFWA Footballer of the Year
- PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year
- PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year
- PFA Scotland Team of the Year
- Scottish Premier League Yearly Awards
- "Naismith young player of the year". BBC Sport. 14 April 2006. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Ace Fletcher doubles up young player accolade". Edinburgh Evening News. 16 May 2009.
- "Danny Wilson completes moves to Liverpool from Rangers". BBC Sport. BBC. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- "More awards for Izaguirre, Goodwillie and Paatelainen". BBC Sport. BBC. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Neil Lennon hails Celtic duo James Forrest and Charlie Mulgrew after pair pick up awards". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Young Player of the Year Stuart Armstrong looks push on at Tannadice". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. 18 May 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Forsyth, Roddy (6 May 2014). "Rangers' former manager Alex McLeish calls for Dave King peace deal". Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Ryan Christie is Scottish football writers' young player of the year". BBC Sport. BBC. 17 May 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Friel, David (15 May 2016). "Kieran Tierney hasn't forgotten his roots after hitting big-time with Celtic". The Scottish Sun. News UK. Retrieved 16 May 2015.