|Media type||Print (Hardcover / Paperback) Ebook|
|No. of books||184|
S.F. Masterworks is a series of science fiction novel reprints published by UK-based company Orion Publishing Group. The series is intended for the United Kingdom and Australian markets, but many editions are distributed to the United States and Canada by Hachette. As of September 2021[update], there are 184 unique titles in the series, 182 of which have been printed in the relaunched series. Approximately 230 volumes, including hardcover and revised editions, have been published in total.
Superseding the earlier series Gollancz Classic SF (1986-1987) and VGSF Classics (1988-1990), the SF Masterworks series began publication in 1999. Developed to feature important and out of print science fiction novels, the selections were described by science fiction author Iain M. Banks as "amazing" and "genuinely the best novels from sixty years of SF". Many of the selections had been out of print in the United Kingdom for many years.
Its companion series include Fantasy Masterworks and Gateway Essentials.
Softcover editions (1999–2007)
- ‡ Hardcover editions only. Orion Publishing did not have the rights to paperback editions.
- * Some printings do not include a number stamp, or the incorrect number stamp appears on the cover.
Hardcover editions (2001)
Not all printings include a volume number stamp. Printings distributed to the United States do not include any markings to indicate they are part of a series.
|I||Dune||Frank Herbert||25 October 2001||0-575-07334-9|
|II||The Left Hand of Darkness||Ursula K. Le Guin||18 October 2001||0-575-07219-9|
|III||The Man in the High Castle||Philip K. Dick||0-575-07335-7|
|IV||The Stars My Destination||Alfred Bester||0-575-07337-3|
|V||A Canticle for Leibowitz||Walter M. Miller Jr.||0-575-07220-2|
|VI||Childhood's End||Arthur C. Clarke||0-575-07263-6|
|VII||The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress||Robert A. Heinlein||0-575-07336-5|
|IX||The Forever War||Joe Haldeman||0-575-07318-7|
|X||The Day of the Triffids||John Wyndham||0-575-07338-1|
Softcover editions (2010–present)
The new designs sport yellow/white spines, with the SF Masterworks logo written vertically on the cover. The original 10 numbered titles were re-issued first. For titles that were previously issued in the original series, generally the cover artwork is tinted in a different colour from the original version. For example; The Dispossessed cover artwork is primarily red in the original release, and was tinted green when reprinted as part of the relaunch.
Only 2 titles from the numbered series have not yet been reprinted in the relaunch series; The Drowned World and Now Wait for Last Year. Since these are also the only entries missing from the 'Complete List' of titles published by Gollancz in 2016, the delay in reprinting both titles is likely a publisher oversight.
‡ Reprinted version of a title from the numbered series
Hardcover editions (2010–2017)
‡ Reprinted version of a title from the numbered series
§ Later reprinted in a paperback edition
|Kairos||Gwyneth Jones||11 November 2021||978-1-4732-3466-6|
|Nineteen Eighty-Four||George Orwell||20 January 2022||978-1-4732-3480-2|
|Life||Gwyneth Jones||17 February 2022||978-1-4732-3467-3|
|Growing Up Weightless||John M. Ford||15 September 2022||978-1-4732-3282-2|
The following editions were announced, but appear to have been withdrawn:
|Camp Concentration||Thomas Disch||10 August 2006||0-575-07877-4|
|334||9 November 2006||0-575-07897-9|
|The Long Loud Silence||Wilson Tucker||February 2015||978-1-4732-0773-8|
|The Forge of God||Greg Bear||2017||978-1-4732-2266-3|
|The Iron Dream||Norman Spinrad||14 November 2017||978-1-4732-2264-9|
Gollancz 50th Anniversary (2011)
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Gollancz imprint, Orion published ten fan-chosen editions. Each novel featured Gollancz's red-on-yellow cover design. The series was initially marketed as part the S.F. Masterworks series.
|1||Shadow and Claw
(The Book of the New Sun, Vol. 1)
|Gene Wolfe||1 September 2011||978-0-575-11673-3|
|2||Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?||Philip K. Dick||978-0-575-11676-4|
|3||Flowers for Algernon||Daniel Keyes||978-0-575-11674-0|
|4||I Am Legend||Richard Matheson||978-0-575-11670-2|
|6||The Lies of Locke Lamora||Scott Lynch||978-0-575-11672-6|
|9||The Name of the Wind||Patrick Rothfuss||978-0-575-11671-9|
|10||The Time Machine||H. G. Wells||978-0-575-11675-7|
Golden Age Masterworks (2019–present)
Initially marketed as part the S.F. Masterworks series.
- "Gollancz Classic SF - 1986-1987 - SFandFantasy.co.uk".
- "Locus Online: Malcolm Edwards interview excerpts". www.locusmag.com. Retrieved 2019-11-25.
- "The SF Masterworks: A Complete List". 12 January 2016.
- Aldiss, Brian (12 July 2018). Non-Stop. ISBN 9780575109049.
- Ryman, Geoff (2018-07-13). The Child Garden. ISBN 9781473212138.
- "Title: Mockingbird". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
- "Title: Earth Abides". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
- "Title: The Dispossessed". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
- "Title: Norstrilia". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2021-09-18.
- "Publication Series: Gollancz SF Masterworks (II)".
- Wolfe, Bernard (2018-07-13). Limbo. ISBN 9781473212473.
- "Title: Dune". www.isfdb.org. Retrieved 2021-09-16.
- Jones, Gwyneth (10 May 2021). Kairos by Gwyneth Jones. sfgateway.com. ISBN 9781473230316. Retrieved 2021-07-21.
- Orwell, George (8 April 2021). Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. sfgateway.com. ISBN 9781473234819. Retrieved 2021-07-21.
- Jones, Gwyneth (16 August 2021). Life. ISBN 9781473234673.
- "Stories of Mars : Edgar Rice Burroughs : 9781473234826". www.bookdepository.com. Retrieved 2021-09-19.
- Official website
- Gollancz SF Masterworks (HC) series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Millennium / Gollancz SF Masterworks series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Gollancz SF Masterworks (II) series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- SF Masterworks at LibraryThing
- SF Masterworks at Worlds Without End