This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Horley, England, UK|
|Northern Ireland, Scotland and the south of England|
|John Morea (CEO)|
|Owners||SSE plc (33.3%)|
Borealis Infrastructure Europe (UK) Limited (ultimately OMERS) (25%)
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board (25%)
Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (16.7%).
Number of employees
SGN (previously known as Scotia Gas Networks) is a British gas distribution company which manages the network that distributes natural and green gas to 5.9 million homes and businesses across Scotland and the south of England. As of 2014/15 SGN operates more than 71,000 km of pipes. In the same period SGN spent £500 million on upgrading the network.
The company was formed in 2005 as Scotia Gas Networks. In September 2014 they changed their name to SGN. The rebrand was driven by a desire to present with a greater unity between the two distinct geographic areas of its business. Those are Scotland and the south of England, where SGN owns and maintains the gas network. The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority bought a 16.7% equity stake in SGN in 2016.
In September 2020 SGN announced that they were working together with global engineering and consultancy company Wood, in order to create a “decarbonisation roadmap” for the north-east and east coast of Scotland.
In 2014, Scotia Gas Networks, Scotland Gas Networks and Southern Gas Networks were rebranded to SGN. The company believed the previous names did not represent the business as "bright, forward thinking experts", and that the name "SGN" would be better for customers to understand what SGN does as a company.
The logo was also changed. From 2005, the logo was originally red and blue dots forming a shape of the United Kingdom. The red dots covered Scotland and the southern area on the "Scotia Gas Networks" logo, just Scotland for the "Scotland Gas Networks" logo and just the southern area for "Southern Gas Networks". This was to highlight where works are carried out by the company. The new logo shows a cylinder filled with orange, blue and purple dots.
Funding for Innovation
In 2014 SGN was awarded funding from the industry regulator, Ofgem, to develop two projects. Opening up the Gas Market is an investigation into whether the British Gas Safety Regulations could be changed to accept different types of gas. Robotics is a project to develop technology for repairing steel mains without interrupting the gas.
Corporate Social Responsibility
A partnership between Girlguiding and SGN is designed to encourage young women into male dominated industries and also spread a message about gas safety and carbon monoxide. SGN also works with Royal Voluntary Service to produce a leaflet for winter safety, targeting the elderly.
- SGN "About Us"
- "Ofgem RIIO model performance". 5 October 2015. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "ENA - Gas distribution map". www.energynetworks.org. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "ADIA Acquires Minority Stake in Scotia Gas Networks". Sovereign Wealth Fund Institute. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Wood partners with SGN to create "decarbonisation roadmap" in Scotland". Aberdeen Business News. 22 September 2020. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- "Energy Networks Association: Smarter Networks" (PDF).
- "Ofgem Gas Network Innovation Competition".
- "SGN - Scotia Gas Network". new.girlguiding.org.uk. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Royal Voluntary Service | Corporate partners | SGN". www.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2016.