SIES College of Arts, Science & Commerce
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Rise With Education|
|Established||20 June 1960|
|Principal||Dr. Uma Shankar|
|Affiliations||University of Mumbai|
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
SIES College of Arts, Science, and Commerce is a Mumbai-based college located in Sion. Established by the South Indian Education Society, the college schools students from grade 11 and 12 right up to advanced degrees and has research facilities and is affiliated to the University of Mumbai. Considered as one of the top colleges in Mumbai, SIES has been ranked as the 7th best institute in India & 3rd in Mumbai for its Mass Communication Courses by The India Today.In the recent times college is being building recognized by various bodies as it Won the 2014-15 IMC NATIONAL QUALITY AWARD (Education Category) and Higher Education Forum Awarded "Innovation Award" in Graduate Humanities category on 14 March 2015. Its being reaccredited with 'A' by National Assessment and Accreditation Council with a CGPA score of 3.51 in third cycle of 2015.
- 1 History
- 2 Grades and Recognition
- 3 Courses
- 4 Extra-curricular activities
- 5 ZERO Carbon Foot Print
- 6 Library
- 7 Institutes
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
SIES College of Arts, Science and Commerce is a college in Sion, Mumbai, India, owned and managed by the South Indian Education Society (SIES). Inaugurated on 20 June 1960 by Shri Y. B. Chavan, the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra, with a Satyanarayan Puja followed by felicitation of Teaching Staff, Non-Teaching Staff and Students present during the year 1960-61 and completed its golden jubilee on 20 June 2009. It received an "A" grade from NAAC in 2015 with a score of 3.51/4.00. College celebrated its golden jubilee on 20 June 2009. The College was awarded autonomous status by the University Grants Commission on 1 June 2018 and on 30 June 2018 by the University of Mumbai
Grades and Recognition
- IMC Bajaj National Quality Award (Education category) 2015
- An Award for "Innovation Initiatives" by Higher Education Forum In Graduate Humanities Category.
- Best College Award 2010-11,by University Of Mumbai.
- College received an "A" grade from NAAC in 2015 with a CGPA of 3.51/4.00.,.
- Trophy-Best College Magazine
- Best College (Clean And Green Environment)
- BEQET president Award
- Bachelor of Arts (Politics, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy, English, Hindi, History-Politics, History-Economics, History-Hindi, History-Philosophy, Politics-Economics)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Management Studies
- Bachelor of Mass Media
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education (DECCEd)
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Computer Science
- Information Technology
Master's programme by research
- PG Diploma in Counselling
- PG Diploma in Special *Education (Autonomous)
- PG Diploma in Early Childhood *Education (Autonomous)
- PG Diploma in Guidance and Counselling (Autonomous)
"Visions", an inter-collegiate cultural festival of SIES.
ZERO Carbon Foot Print
The college in collaboration with Stree Mukti Sanghatana has started a Green initiative to REDUCE-REUSE-RECYCLE with RESPONSIBILITY. College has taken up an Organic Manure production program wherein the food waste from canteen and horticulture waste from College surrounding has now been converted to Organic manure. The program has been initiated from 15 August 2014, and by now the college has converted approximately 2 ½ ton of biodegradable waste and has reaped around 200 kg of wet organic manure. The dry weight accounting up to 120 kg organic manure amounting to Rs. 2500/-.Through this initiative the college has saved this huge quantity of waste from going to dumping ground. Hence it has saved Natural resource and National wealth. The same project has been replicated at Kawthewadi, the adopted village at Karjat, Maharashtra. College has also initiated e-waste collection and recycling in collaboration with Stree Mukti Sanghatana. This e-waste is one of the most toxic and hazardous waste also responsible for fires at dumping grounds releasing toxic gases. With the help of NSS program the students of the college have till date collected approximately 100 kg of e-waste. Through this initiative college has reached masses and saved toxic and hazardous waste reaching dumping grounds. By saving this e-waste going to dumping ground it has also reduced water and air pollution as these e-waste leaches in water and generates toxic waste. These are some of the innovative and eco-friendly initiatives that college has started and look forward for plenty more. In an effort to reduce the carbon footprint the college is going Green.
The Library has seen advances and is being utilised by students pretty good with a wide variety of collection. In order to know the status of book availability, the library is built with an OPAC system using open source software Koha to see visit the online library http://libcatsiesw-koha.informaticsglobal.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-user.pl
SIES has an official college magazine titled "Dakshinayanam" which was also awarded the Best College Magazine by MU. It also has a BMM department's bi-monthly newsletter named "Skyline". The origin of departmental newsletters was started by the Zoology department under the guidance of Mr. Madhavan Gopalan
The college has "SIES Institute for Comprehensive Education" in its campus. Other sister institutes under the SIES management are;
- SIES College of Commerce and Economics
- SIES Graduate School of Technology
- SIES College of Management Studies
- SIES Nerul
- SIES School For Packing
- Aruna Sairam
- Naresh Iyer
- Shankar Mahadevan
- Shreya Ghoshal
- Erica Fernandes
- Latha Venkatesh - Executive Editor, CNBC.
- Sudha Menon
- Shashank Naik
- Vaibhav Shirke
- Faculty Details - Non-Teaching Members, siesascs.net, retrieved 2 August 2011[permanent dead link]
- Faculty Details - Teaching Staff, http://www.siesascs.edu.in/, retrieved 2 August 2011 External link in
- Golden Jubilee Year, retrieved 22 July 2011
- "NAAC Reaccreditation". SIES.
- "yashobhoomi". Archived from the original on 13 July 2015.