|Focus||Computer science education|
SIGCSE is the Association for Computing Machinery's (ACM) Special Interest Group (SIG) on Computer science education (CSE), which provides a forum for educators to discuss issues related to the development, implementation, and/or evaluation of computing programs, curricula, and courses, as well as syllabi, laboratories, and other elements of teaching and pedagogy.
SIGCSE is also the name of one of the three annual events organized by SIGCSE. The ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, is held annually in February or March in the USA. SIGCSE also sponsors an annual conference in or around Europe, named ITiCSE (Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education), usually in late June, and an annual research workshop named ICER (International Computing Education Research), at varied locations, usually in August.
The main focus of SIGCSE is higher education, and discussions include improving computer science education at high school level and below. The membership level has held steady at around 3300 members for several years. The current chair of SIGCSE is Amber Settle for July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2019.
SIGCSE has four annual conferences.
- The SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education is held in the United States with an average annual attendance of approximately 1300. The next conference will be held February 27 through March 2, 2019 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- The annual conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE). The next one will be held July 15th through July 17, 2019 in Aberdeen Scotland. This conference is attended by about 200-300 and is mainly held in Europe, but has also been held in countries outside of Europe (Turkey - 2010), (Israel - 2012), and (Peru - 2016).
- The International Computing Education Research (ICER) Conference. This conference has about 70 attendees and is held in the United States every other year. On the alternate years it rotates between Europe and Australasia. The next conference will be held August 12 through August 14, 2019 in Toronto. 
- The ACM Global Computing Education (CompEd) Conference. This conference will be held at locations outside of the typical North American and European locations. The first annual conference will be held in Chengdu, China between the 17th and 19th of May 2019.
The SIGCSE Bulletin is a quarterly newsletter that was first published in 1969. It evolved from an informal gathering of news and ideas to a venue for columns, editor-reviewed articles, research announcements, editorials, symposium proceedings, etc.
In 2010, with the inception of ACM Inroads magazine, the Bulletin was transformed into an electronic newsletter sent to all SIGCSE members providing communications about SIGCSE: announcing activities, publicizing events, and highlighting topics of interest. In other words, it has returned to its roots.
SIGCSE has two main awards that are given out annually.
Outstanding Contribution Award
The SIGCSE Award for Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education is given annually since 1981.
Lifetime Service Award
The SIGCSE Life Service to Computer Science Education has been awarded annually since 1997.
The current SIGCSE Board for July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2019 is:
- Amber Settle, Chair
- Susan H. Rodger, Past Chair
- Judithe Sheard, Vice-Chair
- Adrienne Decker, Treasurer
- Sue Fitzgerald, Secretary
- Michelle Craig, at-large member
- Briana Morrison, at-large member
- Mark Allen Weiss, at-large member
SIGCSE Chairs over the years:
- Amber Settle, 2016-19
- Susan H. Rodger, 2013–16
- Renee McCauley, 2010-2013
- Barbara Boucher Owens, 2007–10
- Henry Walker, 2001-2007
- Bruce Klein, 1997-01
- Lillian N. Cassel, 1993–97
- Nell B. Dale, 1991–93
- "Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education". sigcse.org. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "SIGCSE 2019". sigcse2019.sigcse.org. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "ACM ITiCSE 2019 – 24th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2019)". Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "ICER Conference | ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research". Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "ACM Global Computing Education Conference (CompEd) | Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education". sigcse.org. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Outstanding Contribution to Computer Science Education - Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education". sigcse.org. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Lifetime Service to Computer Science Education - Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education". sigcse.org. Retrieved 30 June 2019.