SING! is an annual student-run musical production put on by some high schools in New York City. It is a theater competition between the various grades, with the setup between grades differing from school to school (such as sophomore-freshman vs. seniors vs. juniors, senior-sophomore vs. junior-freshman or freshman-senior vs. sophomore-junior).
A Library of Congress archive of the papers of entertainer Danny Kaye, who went to High School with Tillis, contains playbills of SING! performances at Midwood High School from the years 1953-1957.
The 1989 film adaptation Sing is based on the SING! traditions. According to The New York Times review of the movie, the film's production notes say that Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, Carole King and Neil Sedaka, who attended various Brooklyn and Queens high schools in the mid to late 1950s, took part in SING! productions. Other SING! celebrities include Stuyvesant High School's Tim Robbins and Paul Reiser.
Inter-SINGs are SING competitions held between different high schools and colleges. They have been held in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island. Susan Wagner High School won the first Staten Island competition in 2007 with their Junior production of "The JSV Circus", Staten Island Technical High School won in 2008 with their Senior-Sophomore production entitled "Carnicus," and Tottenville High School, who participated for the first time, won in 2009 with Senior Sing X's production of "Narneville," a very twisted fairy tale. ).
Inter-SING 2015 in Brooklyn was broadcast on live TV in Brooklyn)
- Butler, Clarisse (June 14, 2000). "A red violin and a gold statue: PSC member cops Oscar for movie score". New York Teacher (Latham, New York: New York State United Teachers). Archived from the original on May 26, 2005. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Anthony, George (February 19, 1989). "Sing! Sing! Sing!". Toronto Sun. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- "Originator of "Sing!," a NYC high school tradition, dies". Brooklyn Eagle. April 23, 2013. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- "(Danny) Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection". Dance Heritage Collection. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Maslin, Janet (March 31, 1989). "Review/Film; Harmonies in High School". The New York Times. Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- "Sing". The Campaign for Stuyvesant. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Staten Island Tech wins Inter-SING". Staten Island Technical High School News feed. Retrieved December 10, 2008.
- "Brooklyn SINGS!". BRIC (Brooklyn Independent Media) Blog. Retrieved April 3, 2015.