SIU College of Business
|Dean||Dr. J. Dennis Cradit: Dr. Cradit came to SIU from Florida State University, where he was the Charles A. Bruning Professor of Business Administration, and Chairman of the Department of Marketing. Cradit holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia, and master's and doctoral degrees, both from the University of Iowa.|
|Location||Carbondale, Illinois, USA|
Southern Illinois University College of Business is a business school in the United States.
- Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International, putting SIU in the top 10% of business schools nationwide.
- Separate AACSB International accreditation for the College’s School of Accountancy, an accomplishment only achieved by 30% of the accredited business schools.
- Ranked among top 100 public business colleges nationwide, by U.S. News & World Report.
- Finance department ranked in the top 5.6% of all research universities worldwide for research productivity, according to the Financial Management journal.
- One of only three public business colleges in Illinois that offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.
- 100% of master of accountancy students are employed and 95% of undergraduate accounting students are employed within one year of graduation.
- Invested more than $1 million in technology for students and faculty, in the last five years.
- Home of The Burnell D. Kraft Trading Floor, which provides real time simulation of commodities and financial trading using the latest technology.
- Executive MBAs offered in Asia and exchange programs in Europe and South America.
- Received high marks from students surveyed by The Princeton Review, noting the school's "affordability" and the "happy students and smart classrooms."
- Students gain “real world" knowledge by learning business etiquette and improving written and verbal communication skills.
- Nestled in the heart of the Shawnee National Forest, the SIU campus is wooded, beautifully landscaped and includes a lake.
- More than 20,000 College of Business alumni.
- Attracts students from more than 15 states and 30 countries.
- Enrolls 1,600 undergraduates and 250 graduate students.
Southern Illinois University started offering a bookkeeping class in 1894 then gradually added other business courses but it wasn’t until 1957 when a separate School of Business and Administration was established under the leadership of the school’s first dean, Henry J. Rehn.
Rehn served the school from 1947 to 1965, during which time the school expanded its course offerings and inaugurated the graduate programs. Rehn Hall, which was dedicated in 1983, is the home of the College of Business and bears his name. The Henry J. Rehn Society recognizes alumni and friends who make significant financial investments in the College.
Today, SIU College of Business is made up of the School of Accountancy, Department of Finance, Department of Management and Department of Marketing. The school boasts an enrollment of 1,600 undergraduates and 250 graduate students, from 15 states and 30 countries.
The SIU College of Business community includes more than 20,000 alumni worldwide. The graduates are leaders and decision makers in business, education, non-profit organizations and government. Alumni of the College of Business provide essential support as members of advisory boards, as guest speakers in classrooms, as executives in residence, and as financial contributors to scholarships and professorships, among other aspects.
Distinguished Alumni
- Avent, Hubert, Director, Urban Health, Bureau of Primary Health Care
- Bailey, Larry, President, LDB Consulting and Retired Partner, PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Bailey, Rox, President and CEO, Classic Coffee Concepts, Inc.
- Beck, Bill, President and CEO, Beck Bus Transportation Corp.
- Black, Dale, Executive VP and CFO, Trump Entertainment Resorts
- Brennan, Betty, President and Owner, Taylor Studios, Inc.
- Brodt, Stephen W., President and Owner, Western DuPage Landscaping, Inc.
- Brown, Charlie B., CEO, Charlie B. Brown & Assoc., Ltd
- Clark, Walter, Former VP, Bear Stearns
- Collard, John, Founder and President of Strategic Management Partners, Inc.
- Crisp III, Harry “Lee”, President and COO, Pepsi MidAmerica
- Cunningham, Ted, Retired Executive VP of Sales and Marketing, Chrysler Corp.
- Davids, Michael C., Publisher,Editor& Owner, Condo Lifestyles & the Landscape Buyer Magazine
- DeJarnett, Larry, Founder & Managing Dir. of The Lamar Group and Former VP, AT Kearney, Inc.
- Engelhardt, Irl, Former Chairman & CEO, Peabody Energy Group
- Fenwick, William A., Partner, Fenwick & West, LLP
- Foster, Lance, VP of Finance and Administration, Ralph G. Moore Association, Inc.
- Griffith, Ray, CEO, Ace Hardware
- Hale, Lester, Owner, Hale Corporation
- Hamilton, Edward A., Managing Director and Head of Loan Trading, Banc of America Securities
- Hamilton, Grant W., President, Hamilton Steel Products, Inc.
- Hannah, Kenneth H., CFO, MEMC Electronic Materials
- Harmon, Tom, Sr. Vice President, Corporate Banking – Group Manager,First Bank
- Harre, Kenneth D., Executive Director,Harre Consulting
- Heakin, John S., President, North American Insights
- Hicks, Margaret, Chair, accounting dept, Howard University School of Business Administration
- Hull, Kenneth J., Retired Chairman and CEO, Follett Corporation
- Hutton, Ted, Retired Director of Human Resources, Allen-Bradley Co.
- Hyden, Elaine, Retired VP for Financial Affairs and Board Treasurer, SIU
- Johnson, Philip C., VP, People, Learning and Development, Wm. Wrigley Co.
- Kesler, Joe R., President,First National Bank of Montana
- Klassen, Richard W., Chief Marketing & Sales Officer, Delta Dental of Missouri
- Kraft, Burnell D., Retired Sr. VP, Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Krecek, John “Jack”, Vice President, Marketing, Elkay Manufacturing Company
- Lee, Gregory A. Lee, Sr. VP of HR, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Inc. and former Sr. VP of Sears.
- Levitt, Mickey, Owner, Consolidated Foam, Inc.
- Lounsbury, Charles B., Retired Sr. VP, Global Solutions, Ryder Systems
- Luebbers, Lawrence A., Partner International Tax, Deloitte Tax LLP
- Magee, Jr., Gray M., President, Specialty Alloys Corporation
- Marx, Jr., Charles A., Partner, Bearing Point
- McCord, Richard K., CEO/Director, Illinois National Bank
- McPheeters, F. Lynn, Retired CFO and VP, Corporate Services Division of Caterpillar, Inc.
- Micheletto, J.R., Former CEO Ralcorp Holdings, Inc.
- Mitchell, Leslye, Director of Legal Affairs, St. Louis Develop Corporation
- Moore, Ralph G., President, RGMA Consultants
- Navarre, Richard A., Executive Vice President & CFO,Peabody Energy Group
- Posner, Kenneth R., Partner, Tatum LLC,Jet Support Services, Inc.
- Pranger, Scott M., Vice President of Worldwide Sales, DataPath, Inc.
- Priddy, Steve, Retired Vice President, Human Resources Administration, FedEx
- Rashid, Susie, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Administrative Officer, Element 79
- Renfro, John M., Vice President, Human Resources, Imaging and Printing Group, Hewlett-Packard Co.
- Rich III, Robert, Retired Executive VP of ExxonMobil Fuels Marketing Company USA
- Rowland, Jeff W., Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Marketing, CipherPass Corporation
- Shear, Herbert S., President & CEO,GENCO Distribution System
- Siracusano, Robert J.,Sr. Financial Advisor,Branch Mgr.,Wachovia Securities Financial Network
- Smith, Gus E., Retired Partner, Accenture
- Speith, Jeffrey, President, Old National Bank
- Winningham, Rick, CEO, Theravance, Inc.
Bachelor’s degrees offered
- Business and Administration
- Business Economics
The MBA program is oriented toward preparing students for managerial positions in business and government. The program emphasizes the ability to comprehend internal and external social, legal, political, and economic forces as they affect the decision-making process within a business organization.
The program has been structured with flexibility so as to serve both holders of baccalaureate degrees in business administration and those who hold degrees in other disciplines. The M.B.A. program is accredited by the AACSB - The International Association for Management Education.
The College of Business offers both on-campus and off-campus MBA degrees.
Joint degree offerings:
- MBA/BA (Computer Science) Program
- MBA/JD Concurrent Degree
- MBA/MA (MCMA) Concurrent Degree
- MBA/MS (Ag. Econ.) Concurrent Degree
Executive MBA (Off – Campus )
The Executive MBA offered by SIU is one of the most innovative and up-to-date Executive MBA programs. It is specially designed to prepare managers and executives for effective senior or top-management positions in the public or private sector. The program offers a Modular and Flexible structure, integrating learning with practical application for the workplace.
Master of Accountancy
The objective of the Master of Accountancy degree program is to provide an opportunity for students to achieve greater breadth and depth in the study of accountancy than is possible in the baccalaureate program. As preparation for entry into a dynamic profession the curriculum fosters clear, logical, and analytical thought processes, effective oral and written communications, and lifelong learning skills. Graduates pursue careers as professional accountants in public practice, industry, financial institutions, government, and other not-for-profit organizations.
The Master of Accountancy degree program includes two concentrations from which to choose: 1) Taxation, and 2) Audit/Information Systems. Degree requirements are dependent upon the specialization chosen.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration program at SIU attracts students from around the world. The program prepares highly qualified individuals for teaching and research positions in academic institutions as well as for research positions in business and government.
The doctoral program of study trains students in a primary functional area of business administration. These include accounting, finance, management, and marketing. This preparation leads to the development of the doctoral dissertation, which demonstrates the student’s ability to undertake independent and creative research in the field of business and administration. The program entails at least three years of study beyond the master’s degree.