|Industry||Public affairs, political consulting|
New York, New York
Albany, New York
SKDKnickerbocker is a progressive public affairs and political consulting firm that specializes in working for Democratic Party politicians. It has offices in Washington, DC, New York City, Los Angeles, CA, and Albany, New York. The firm employs notable figures like former Obama White House Communications Director Anita Dunn, Bill Burton, and Hilary Rosen.
The firm was formed in 2004 through the merger of Squier Knapp Dunn Communications and Knickerbocker Consulting. They formalized the merger in 2010, taking the name SKDKnickerbocker.
SKDK's political clients have included Barack Obama, Andrew Cuomo, Michael Bloomberg, and Christine Quinn. The firm was reportedly hired by women's rights and birth control advocate Sandra Fluke.
The firm's current and former public affairs clients include the Rockefeller Foundation, AT&T, Facebook, Girls Who Code, NoVo Foundation, the Human Rights Campaign, the Center for Reproductive Rights, the New American Leaders Project, and the Obama Presidential Library.
Political consulting and communications
SKDKnickerbocker provides political consulting services to political candidates, campaigns, and issue advocacy groups. SKDKnickerbocker describes itself as a full-service public affairs practice that offers crisis communications, branding, marketing, media training, digital/social media advice, speech writing, and message development.
Ben White of Politico wrote in an April 2014 email blast that an unnamed senior Democrat said that "It's an open secret in the Dem consultant community that SKD has been signing up clients based on 'perceived White House access' tied to prior relationships and employment." Conservative website National Review Online noted that Rosen's name appears frequently on the White House visitor log. However, the firm does not meet the standard, legal definition of lobbying and is not registered to lobby the federal government.
- "About Us." SKDKnickerbocker.
- Weinger, Mackenzie (April 12, 2012). "10 things about Hilary Rosen". Politico.
- Fang, Lee (April 13, 2012). "The Real Hilary Rosen Scandal". The Nation.
- Haberman, Maggie (April 12, 2010). "Knickerbocker Consulting firm to become SKDKnickerbocker". New York Post.
- Rubinstein, Dana (April 12, 2012). "Between Christine Quinn and Hilary Rosen, an unusually loud week for quiet SKD Knickerbocker". Capital New York.
- O'Reilly, Bill (March 8, 2012). "Factor Investigation: Ex-Obama Official Running Sandra Fluke - Bill O'Reilly - Fox Nation". Fox News.
- Gelles, David (October 8, 2015). "Mark Penn's Stagwell Group Will Acquire SKDKnickerbocker". The New York Times.
- Pace, Richard D (8 Oct 2015). "SKD Knickerbocker Sells To Stagwell Group For Up To $75 Million Dollars". EverythingPR.
- "SKDKnickerbocker Political Consulting". SKDKnickerbocker.
- "SKDKnickerbocker Strategic Communications". SKDKnickerbocker.
- Morrissey, Ed (April 13, 2012). "Awww: Rosen declines spot on Meet the Press". Hot Air.
- Geraghty, Jim (April 12, 2012). "Hilary Rosen, Frequent White House Visitor". National Review Online.
- Fang, Lee (April 13, 2012). "The Real Hilary Rosen Scandal". Republic Report.
- SKDKnickerbocker, Open Secrets.