|Circulation||62,890 (September 2012)|
|Sister newspapers||The Slovak Spectator, Új Szó, Korzár and various regional My noviny newspapers|
SME or Denník SME (in English: WE ARE Daily) is one of the most widely read mainstream broadsheet in Slovakia. Their website, Sme.sk, is one of the most visited Internet portals in Slovakia. In 2014, the Namav, a subject subvenced by the Penta Investments group, announced the purchase of Petit Press, the publisher of the newspaper. In reaction, major part of the editorial board, including the editor-in-chief, announced their resignation. "We are leaving SME and we will try to create a new medium that no one will suspect that it serves someone other than the readers", stated Matúš Kostolný, the departing editor-in-chief.
History and profile
SME was founded in mid-January 1993 by a group of journalist of the well-established daily Smena, who left that daily due to differences over editorial policies and control. They accused the government under Vladimír Mečiar of having the Smena's editor-in-chief removed from his post indirectly by means of political influence. The newspaper was oriented strongly against governments under Vladimír Mečiar (an attitude that intensified after January 1993) and in favour of other governments. It is a rather centrist to right-wing newspaper now.
In 1995, the newspaper merged with the daily Smena (whose readers switched to SME after 1993) and in 2004 (?) with another major Slovak daily, Práca.
The former managing editors were Martin M. Šimečka and founding editor-in-chief was Karol Ježík. Its target group is very wide, but officially it focuses on readers in bigger cities and agglomerations.
- SME, Presseurop, retrieved 23 June 2011
- "Top Sites in Slovakia". Alexa.com. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Penta se nedala odradit. Vstoupila do slovenského deníku Sme" (in Czech). Aktuálně.cz (originally ČTK). 14 October 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Branislav Ondrášik (2013). "The State of Newspaper Industry in Slovakia" (PDF). Global Media Journal 1 (1): 109. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Miroslav Kollar; Tomáš Czwitkowics. "Mapping digital media: Slovakia" (PDF). Open Society Foundation.
- "Petit Press". Petit Press. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Inzercia SME". Petit Press. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Ideas from SME.sk". Window on the Media. Retrieved 14 January 2015.