SM City Davao
|Location||Davao City, Philippines|
|Address||Quimpo Blvd cor. Tulip and Ecoland Drive, Ecoland Subd., Brgy. Matina|
|Opening date||November 17, 2001|
|Developer||SM Prime Holdings|
|Management||SM Prime Holdings|
|No. of stores and services||296|
|Total retail floor area||125,143 m2 (1,347,030 sq ft)|
|No. of floors|
|Website||SM City Davao|
SM City Davao also known locally as "SM Ecoland", is an indoor shopping mall in Quimpo Boulevard, Davao City, Philippines. SM Prime Holdings developed and manages the mall. SM City Davao, the first SM Mall in the Mindanao region, opened to the public on November 17, 2001.
SM City Davao, built on 13.2 hectares of land. with a gross floor area of 78,735 square metres (847,500 sq ft). Floor space expanded to cover 125,143 square metres (1,347,030 sq ft) after the opening of The Annex on March 9, 2012. The mall is at Quimpo Boulevard. A transportation terminal constructed beside the mall accommodates visitors.
The Main Mall is a 3-level square-shaped building with anchor tenants The SM Store and SM Supermarket It also features six digital cinemas. It has many local and international store brands along with the old Entertainment Center, and the former Cyberzone. A passport office of the Department of Foreign Affairs occupies 3,400 square metres (37,000 sq ft) of space at the mall's third level which opened in September 2012.
Annex Construction collapse incident
Five construction workers were removing the scaffolding of the cemented steel canopy when the canopy collapsed due to metal fatigue. The victims were Prudencio Custorio, Alvin Rapista, Ronie Mosqueda, Rogelio Piodo and Ruel Inampas. They suffered bruises and wounds, and the rescue team brought them to the Southern Philippines Medical Center. Mayor Inday Sara Duterte ordered construction stopped during the investigation. The reason of the collapsed canopy was due to an error in construction method, according to Engineer Jaime Adalin, the chief of Davao City Building Office.
2013 Davao bombings
The mall was subjected to one of the two terrorist bombings that occurred in September 17, 2013, the other one being at Gaisano Mall of Davao after the blast site. It happened during the time of armed crisis in Zamboanga City, which involved elements of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF); however, the MNLF Davao Regional Command denied that they were behind the bombings. The incident happened at the Cinema 1.
2018 Electrical fire
On November 24, 2018, a burning electrical wire due to overloading was spotted by guards, while a shopper, Juvanie Ladano Castañares managed to quickly extinguish it by throwing his slippers at the smoldering wire. The feat was caught on video by Ron Bongcayao Moncada and was shared in Facebook. Although not publicized, Castañares was lauded by mall officials for his quick thinking.
On December 15, 2019, the mall building incurred damage, particularly at the top of Annex Building and the ceilings outside the mall collapsed. No deaths and injuries were reported.
- "SM City Davao opens Nov 17". The Philippine Star. 12 November 2001. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- Castro, Albert (30 May 2011). "SM Mall sets VisMin expansion". Malaya Business Insight. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Mall List". SM Prime. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Avellanosa, Nonoy. "SM Ecoland Terminal in Davao". Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "SM City Davao". Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- de Guzman, Vicky Berdina (18 September 2012). "DFA opens 21st regional office in Pangasinan". Edge Davao. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "The Annex SM City Davao's Cyberzone Soft Opening March 9, 2012". Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "5 sugatan sa pagguho ng canopy ng SM Mall sa Davao City". Bombo Radyo (in Filipino and Tagalog). 15 December 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Dura, Alger (15 December 2011). "Canopy collapses; 5 workers injured". Sun.Star Davao. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Paloma, Jereco (20 December 2011). "Canopy not in approved mall renovation permit". Sun.Star Davao. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Human Fire Extinguisher: Dude puts out mall fire with flip-flops | Coconuts Manila". Coconuts. November 26, 2018.
- "Ron Bongcayao Moncada" – via www.facebook.com.
- "Move aside firefighters, this Filipino Super Man can put out fires with just his flip-flops". Mashable SEA. November 26, 2018.
- "Man saves fire using flip flops" – via www.facebook.com.
SM City Sucat
| 12th SM Supermall
SM City Cagayan de Oro