SM Station logo.
|Type of project||Music|
|Founder||Lee Soo Man|
|Established||February 3, 2016|
SM Station is a digital music project by South Korean record label SM Entertainment. It undertook to release one digital single every Friday starting from February 3, 2016. The project's first season ended on February 3, 2017, with 52 songs. Its second season began on March 31, 2017, and concluded on April 6, 2018, with a total of 57 songs.
SM Station was announced by founding chairman Lee Soo-man as part of SM Entertainment's larger "Neo Culture Technology" project during a press conference on January 27, 2016. It aims to showcase SMEntertainment's artists and producers, while also including collaborations with artists outside of the label. The project began on February 3, 2016, with the release of its first single "Rain" by Taeyeon. The song proved successful, topping the South Korean Gaon Digital Chart and winning first place on the weekly music show Inkigayo. Subsequent singles that entered top 10 on the Gaon Digital Chart include "Spring Love" by Wendy and Eric Nam, "The Day" by Baekhyun and K.Will, "No Matter What" by BoA and Beenzino, "Dancing King" by EXO and Yoo Jae-suk, "Always in My Heart" by Joy and Seulong, and "Sweet Dream" by Kim Hee-chul and Min Kyung-hoon. "Rain" and "Spring Love" received various nominations at year-end music awards, among which "Rain" won a Digital Bonsang at the 31st Golden Disk Awards and "Sweet Dream" won a Best Rock Song at the MelOn Music Awards. The first season ended on February 3, 2017, with the 52nd single "Curtain" by Suho.
In February 2017, SM Entertainment announced Station's second season which, according to the label, would feature collaborations with foreign musicians, as well as its past projects such as SM the Ballad, SM the Performance, Summer Vacation and Winter Garden. It began on March 31, 2017, with the first single "Would U" by Red Velvet. On April 6, 2017, SM Entertainment released a compilation album titled SM Station Season 1 which contains the first season's 52 singles and five bonus tracks. The album is packaged as a four-CD set which includes a photo book of behind-the-scenes cuts. The second season concluded on April 6 with "New Heroes" by NCT member Ten.
In August 2018, SM Entertainment announced a special season titled Station X 0 (Station Young), in collaboration with SK telecom's 0 (Young) mobile brand.[a] According to the label, Station X 0 is a cultural project for the young generation. The first trailer of the project was released on August 1, the logo of the project included a small figure of EXO's Baekhyun.On August 2, the second trailer of Station X 0 was released, with the logo including a small figure of Girls' Generation's Taeyeon.On the same day, it was announced that the first Station X 0 project will be a collaboration between Taeyeon and MeloMance, set to be released on August 10. On August 3, the third trailer was released.
- SM Station Season 1 (2016–2017)
- SM Station Season 2 (2017–2018)
- SM Station X 0 (2018)
- SM Station Season 3 (2018-2019)
Awards and nominations
|2016||MelOn Music Awards||Best Ballad Song||Taeyeon||"Rain"||Nominated|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Vocal Performance Female Solo||Nominated|
|HotelsCombined Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Eric Nam x Wendy||"Spring Love"||Nominated|
|BoA x Beenzino||"No Matter What"||Nominated|
|2017||Golden Disc Awards||Digital Bonsang Award||Taeyeon||"Rain"||Won|
|Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards||Song of the Year (February)||Nominated|
|Song of the Year (September)||Yoo Jae-suk x EXO||"Dancing King"||Nominated|
|Song of the Year (November)||Kim Hee-chul x Min Kyung-hoon||"Sweet Dream"||Nominated|
|MelOn Music Awards||Best Rock Song||Won|
- "The Station" (2018), a music talk concert with various artists from SM '#STATION'.
- "Taeyeon sweeps charts on inaugural week of S.M. project". Yonhap News. Yonhap News Agency. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Jackson, Julie (28 February 2016). "SM founder talks new boy band, future localization strategy". The Korea Herald. Herald Corporation. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Moon, Wan-sik. "SM, 1년 52주 매주 디지털음원 공개 '파격'..첫주자 태연". Star News. Star News. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Sung So-young (February 2, 2016). "Two new singles out from Taeyeon this week". JoongAng Ilbo. JoongAng Media Network. Retrieved March 27, 2016.
- "Gaon Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on March 13, 2016.
- "'인기가요' 태연, 'Rain'으로 방송 출연 없이 1위" (in Korean). Naver. Naver Corporation. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Moon Wan-shik (February 1, 2017). "SM스테이션, 시즌2 나온다..해외뮤지션 대거 참여". Star News (in Korean). Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "SM스테이션, 컴필레이션 앨범 출시…비하인드 포토북까지". 네이트뉴스 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "[공식입장] 태연X멜로망스, SM 스테이션 스핀오프 첫 주자 '파격 컬래버'" (in Korean). 2018-08-03. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- SMTOWN (2018-08-01), [STATION X 0 ] Trailer #1, retrieved 2018-08-03
- SMTOWN (2018-08-02), [STATION X 0] Trailer #2, retrieved 2018-08-03
- SMTOWN (2018-08-03), [STATION X 0] Trailer #3, retrieved 2018-08-03
- "'SM Station' digital music project to begin 3rd season next week". Yonhap News. 2018-11-22.
- "NCT's Lucas to spearhead 3rd season of S.M. Station". Kpopherald. 2018-11-20.