UB-148 at sea, a U-boat similar to UB-118.
|Ordered:||6/8 February 1917|
|Builder:||AG Weser, Bremen|
|Cost:||3,654,000 German Papiermark|
|Launched:||13 December 1917|
|Commissioned:||22 January 1918|
|Fate:||Surrendered 20 November 1918, broken up in 1919/20.|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||German Type UB III submarine|
|Length:||55.85 m (183 ft 3 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||5.80 m (19 ft)|
|Draught:||3.72 m (12 ft 2 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 31 men|
|Victories:||4 merchant ships sunk (17,416 GRT)|
SM UB-118 was a German Type UB III submarine or U-boat in the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 22 January 1918 as SM UB-118.[Note 1]
She was built by AG Weser of Bremen and following just under a year of construction, launched at Bremen on 13 December 1917. UB-118 was commissioned early the next year under the command of Kptlt. Hermann Arthur Krauß. Like all Type UB III submarines, UB-118 carried 10 torpedoes and was armed with a 8.8 cm (3.46 in) deck gun. UB-118 would carry a crew of up to 3 officer and 31 men and had a cruising range of 7,280 nautical miles (13,480 km; 8,380 mi). UB-118 had a displacement of 512 t (504 long tons) while surfaced and 643 t (633 long tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.9 knots (25.7 km/h; 16.0 mph) when surfaced and 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph) when submerged.
Summary of raiding history
|16 May 1918||Yturri Bide||Spain||582||Sunk|
|27 August 1918||Ant Cassar||United Kingdom||3,544||Sunk|
|1 September 1918||City of Glasgow||United Kingdom||6,457||Sunk|
|1 September 1918||Mesaba||United Kingdom||6,833||Sunk|
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Tonnages are in gross register tons
- Rössler 1979, p. 55.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 25-30.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Hermann Arthur Krauß". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by UB 118". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Bendert, Harald (2000). Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1914-1918. Einsätze, Erfolge, Schicksal (in German). Hamburg: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH. ISBN 3-8132-0713-7.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Rössler, Eberhard (1979). U-Bootbau bis Ende des 1. Weltkrieges, Konstruktionen für das Ausland und die Jahre 1935 – 1945. Die deutschen U-Boote und ihre Werften (in German). I. Munich: Bernard & Graefe. ISBN 3-7637-5213-7.