UB-148 at sea, a U-boat similar to UB-124.
|Ordered:||6/8 February 1917|
|Builder:||AG Weser, Bremen|
|Cost:||3,654,000 German Papiermark|
|Launched:||19 March 1918|
|Commissioned:||22 April 1918|
|Fate:||Sunk 20 July 1918 by British warships.|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||German Type UB III submarine|
|Length:||55.85 m (183 ft 3 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||5.80 m (19 ft)|
|Draught:||3.72 m (12 ft 2 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 31 men|
|Victories:||1 merchant ship sunk (32,234 GRT)|
SM UB-124 was a German Type UB III submarine or U-boat in the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 22 April 1918 as SM UB-124.[Note 1]
She was built by AG Weser of Bremen and, following just under a year of construction, launched at Bremen on 19 March 1918. UB-124 was commissioned later the same year under the command of Oblt.z.S. Hans Oscar Wutsdorff. Like all Type UB III submarines, UB-124 carried ten torpedoes and was armed with an 8.8 cm (3.46 in) deck gun. UB-124 would carry a crew of up to three officers and 31 men and had a cruising range of 7,280 nautical miles (13,480 km; 8,380 mi). UB-124 had a displacement of 512 t (504 long tons) while surfaced and 643 t (633 long tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.9 knots (25.7 km/h; 16.0 mph) when surfaced and 7.6 knots (14.1 km/h; 8.7 mph) when submerged.
Summary of raiding history
|20 July 1918||Justicia||United Kingdom||32,234||Sunk|
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Tonnages are in gross register tons
- Rössler 1979, p. 55.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 25-30.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Hans Oscar Wutsdorff". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by UB 124". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Bendert, Harald (2000). Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1914-1918. Einsätze, Erfolge, Schicksal (in German). Hamburg: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH. ISBN 3-8132-0713-7.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Rössler, Eberhard (1979). U-Bootbau bis Ende des 1. Weltkrieges, Konstruktionen für das Ausland und die Jahre 1935 - 1945. Die deutschen U-Boote und ihre Werften (in German). I. Munich: Bernard & Graefe. ISBN 3-7637-5213-7.