UB-148 at sea.
|Ordered:||27 June 1917|
|Builder:||AG Weser, Bremen|
|Cost:||4,301,000 German Papiermark|
|Launched:||7 August 1918|
|Commissioned:||19 September 1918|
|Fate:||Surrendered to the US, sunk as target.|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||German Type UB III submarine|
|Length:||55.85 m (183 ft 3 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||5.80 m (19.0 ft)|
|Draught:||3.75 m (12 ft 4 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 31 men|
SM UB-148 was a German Type UB III submarine or U-boat built for the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 19 September 1918 as UB-148[Note 1] . UB-148 was surrendered to the United States in accordance with the requirements of the Armistice with Germany on 1 December 1918 and later sunk as target by USS Sicard.
She was built by AG Weser of Bremen and following just under a year of construction, launched at Bremen on 7 August 1918. UB-148 carried 10 torpedoes and was armed with a 10.5 cm (4.13 in) deck gun. UB-148 would carry a crew of up to 3 officer and 31 men and had a cruising range of 9,090 nautical miles (16,830 km; 10,460 mi). UB-148 had a displacement of 523 t (515 long tons) while surfaced and 653 t (643 long tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.5 knots (25.0 km/h; 15.5 mph) when surfaced and 7.5 knots (13.9 km/h; 8.6 mph) when submerged.
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Rössler 1979, p. 56.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 25-30.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Walter Warzecha (Royal House Order of Hohenzollern)". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Bendert, Harald (2000). Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1914-1918. Einsätze, Erfolge, Schicksal (in German). Hamburg: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH. ISBN 3-8132-0713-7.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Rössler, Eberhard (1979). U-Bootbau bis Ende des 1. Weltkrieges, Konstruktionen für das Ausland und die Jahre 1935 - 1945. Die deutschen U-Boote und ihre Werften (in German). I. Munich: Bernard & Graefe. ISBN 3-7637-5213-7.