UB-148 at sea, a U-boat similar to UB-63.
|Ordered:||20 May 1916|
|Builder:||AG Vulcan, Hamburg|
|Cost:||3,279,000 German Papiermark|
|Launched:||26 May 1917|
|Commissioned:||23 July 1917|
|Fate:||sunk 21 January 1918 by British warships at Coordinates: |
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||German Type UB III submarine|
|Length:||55.52 m (182 ft 2 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||5.76 m (18 ft 11 in)|
|Draught:||3.70 m (12 ft 2 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 31 men|
SM UB-63 was a German Type UB III submarine or U-boat in the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 23 July 1917 as SM UB-63.[nb 1]
UB-63 was ordered by the GIN on 20 May 1916.
She was built by AG Vulcan of Hamburg and following just under a year of construction, launched at Hamburg on 26 May 1917. UB-63 was commissioned later that same year . Like all Type UB III submarines, UB-63 carried 10 torpedoes and was armed with a 8.8 cm (3.46 in) deck gun. UB-63 would carry a crew of up to 3 officer and 31 men and had a cruising range of 8,420 nautical miles (15,590 km; 9,690 mi). UB-63 had a displacement of 508 t (500 long tons) while surfaced and 639 t (629 long tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.3 knots (24.6 km/h; 15.3 mph) when surfaced and 8 knots (15 km/h; 9.2 mph) when submerged.
Summary of raiding career
|15 September 1917||Santaren||United Kingdom||4,256||Sunk|
|3 November 1917||Haelen||Belgium||3,290||Captured as a prize|
|8 November 1917||Lindhardt||Denmark||225||Sunk|
|15 November 1917||Stargard||Norway||1,113||Damaged|
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Rössler 1979, p. 60.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 25-30.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Rudolf Gebeschus". German and Austrian U-Boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by UB-63". German and Austrian U-Boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Bendert, Harald (2000). Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1914-1918. Einsätze, Erfolge, Schicksal (in German). Hamburg: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH. ISBN 3-8132-0713-7.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel (London: Conway Maritime Press). ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Rössler, Eberhard (1979). U-Bootbau bis Ende des 1. Weltkrieges, Konstruktionen für das Ausland und die Jahre 1935 – 1945. Die deutschen U-Boote und ihre Werften (in German) I (Munich: Bernard & Graefe). ISBN 3-7637-5213-7.