UB-148 at sea, a U-boat similar to UB-83.
|Ordered:||23 September 1916|
|Builder:||AG Weser, Bremen|
|Cost:||3,341,000 German Papiermark|
|Launched:||15 September 1917|
|Commissioned:||15 October 1917|
|Fate:||sunk 10 September 1918 by British warships at Coordinates: |
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||German Type UB III submarine|
|Length:||55.85 m (183 ft 3 in) (o/a)|
|Beam:||5.80 m (19 ft)|
|Draught:||3.72 m (12 ft 2 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 31 men|
SM UB-83 was a German Type UB III submarine or U-boat in the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 15 October 1917 as SM UB-83.[Note 1]
She was built by AG Weser of Bremen and following just under a year of construction, launched at Bremen on 15 September 1917. UB-83 was commissioned later that same year under the command of Oblt.z.S. Günther Krause. Like all Type UB III submarines, UB-83 carried 10 torpedoes and was armed with a 8.8 cm (3.46 in) deck gun. UB-83 would carry a crew of up to 3 officer and 31 men and had a cruising range of 8,180 nautical miles (15,150 km; 9,410 mi). UB-83 had a displacement of 516 t (508 long tons) while surfaced and 647 t (637 long tons) when submerged. Her engines enabled her to travel at 13.4 knots (24.8 km/h; 15.4 mph) when surfaced and 7.5 knots (13.9 km/h; 8.6 mph) when submerged.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2015)
Summary of raiding history
|23 March 1918||Aulton||United Kingdom||634||Sunk|
|23 March 1918||Meline||United Kingdom||6,970||Damaged|
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Tonnages are in gross register tons
- Rössler 1979, p. 55.
- Gröner 1991, pp. 25-30.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Günther Krause". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Hans Buntebardt". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by UB 83". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Bendert, Harald (2000). Die UB-Boote der Kaiserlichen Marine, 1914-1918. Einsätze, Erfolge, Schicksal (in German). Hamburg: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn GmbH. ISBN 3-8132-0713-7.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Rössler, Eberhard (1979). U-Bootbau bis Ende des 1. Weltkrieges, Konstruktionen für das Ausland und die Jahre 1935 – 1945. Die deutschen U-Boote und ihre Werften (in German). I. Munich: Bernard & Graefe. ISBN 3-7637-5213-7.