SNCF TGV La Poste
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|TGV La Poste|
TGV postal near Chevry-Cossigny.
|Number built||2,5 (new) + 1(converted from SNCF TGV Sud-Est trainset no. 38)|
|Number preserved||3 + ½ spare set; La Poste is seeking a buyer for the fleet|
|Formation||10 cars (2 power cars, 8 postal cars)|
|Train length||200 m|
|Width||2.904 m (9 ft 6.3 in)|
|Maximum speed||270 km/h (168 mph)|
|Power output||6,800 kW (9,100 hp) @ 25 kV|
|Electric system(s)||25 kV AC
1500 V DC
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Safety system(s)||TVM 300/TVM 430|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The SNCF TGV La Poste (TGV-Postes) trains were built by Alstom between 1978–1986. These TGV units are essentially TGV Sud-Est trainsets that are modified for transporting mail for the French postal carrier La Poste. The top speed is 270 km/h (168 mph), making them the fastest freight trains in the world.
5 half-trainsets were built, numbered 1-5. A further two, numbered 6 and 7, were converted from former TGV-SE trainset no. 38. Each half-trainset consists of a power car and four intermediate-trailers.
In December 2016, La Poste dismantled 3 trainsets. The company SME (Société Métallurgique d'Épernay) was in charge of this operation.
|Class||Number in service||Year built||Operator||Current units||Notes|
|Series 923000||2.5 (5 half-sets)||1981||La Poste||P1-P5|
|1 (2 half-sets)||1984||P6-P7||Rebuilt from PSE set|
- British Rail Class 325, 161 km/h (100 mph) Postal EMUs used in Britain
- Barrow, Keith (29 June 2015). "Last post for French high-speed freight as postal TGVs bow out". International Railway Journal. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "TGV: La Poste supprime un quart des TGV postaux" [Service reduction for the TGV postal train]. Passion - Trains (in French). 24 April 2009.
- "Demonstration high speed freight train links Lyon and London". Railway Gazette International. 21 March 2012.
- "Swap bodies to carry mail by rail". Railway Gazette International. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- Rapport de présentation 'Prestations de démantèlement de rames Tgv postal'. G Chan Liat (in French). 3 September 2016
|This French railway-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|