|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom, Washington, D.C., United States|
|No. of offices||60|
|No. of attorneys||Approximately 1,250|
|Key people||Elliott Portnoy|
|Revenue||£450 million (2011/12)|
|Profit per equity partner||£438,000 (2011/12)|
|Date founded||2010 (by merger)|
|Company type||Swiss Verein|
|Dissolved||28 March 2013 (merged with Salans and Fraser Milner Casgrain to form Dentons)|
SNR Denton was a multinational law firm co-headquartered in London and Washington, D.C.. The firm operated in 60 locations across 43 countries and had around 1,250 lawyers. It was one of the 25-largest law firms in the world, with revenues of around $750 million in 2011/12.
SNR Denton was formed through the merger of the UK-based Denton Wilde Sapte LLP and the US-based Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP in September 2010. The firm was structured as a Swiss Verein and had a single management board but the partnerships of the predecessor firms were not financially integrated. In March 2013, SNR Denton merged with the international law firm Salans and the Canada-based law firm Fraser Milner Casgrain, forming Dentons.
In 1785, Thomas Wilde (1758-1821) and Samuel Archer Hussey founded a law firm that became Wilde Sapte. In 1788, Denton Hall Burgin was established by Sam Denton. In 1906, Edward Sonnenschein and partners opened a law firm in Chicago that eventually became Sonnenschein Nath Rosenthal.
In 2000, the City of London-based law firms Denton Hall and Wilde Sapte merged to form Denton Wilde Sapte. In 2009, 100 lawyers (including 40 partners) joined Sonnenschein from Thacher Proffitt & Wood, doubling the firm’s number of lawyers in New York. In May 2010, Denton Wilde Sapte and Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal announced their intention to merge. On 30 September 2010, the merger between Denton Wilde Sapte and Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal was formally completed, establishing SNR Denton.
On 11 November 2012, SNR Denton, Salans and the Canada-based Fraser Milner Casgrain announced a three-way merger, forming a new law firm structured as a Swiss Verein and named Dentons. The partners of the three firms ratified the merger on 28 November 2012 and the new firm was planned to begin operations in early 2013.
In January 2013, SNR Denton entered into an association with the Kuwaiti law firm Jamal Ahmed Al-Shehab.
The merger between SNR Denton, Fraser Milner Casgrain and Salans was completed on 28 March 2013.
Main practice areas
SNR Denton's main practice areas included:
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and business transactions
- Employment, benefits and executive compensation
- Intellectual property and technology
- Litigation and arbitration
- Public policy and regulation
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Trusts and estates
- "Management Team". SNR Denton. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Location". SNR Denton. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Sonnenschein, Denton law firms to combine". The Washington Post. 31 May 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "SNR Denton aims to dramatically reinvent global brand with Salans and FMC unions". Legal Week. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "A new transatlantic firm born as SNR Denton goes live". The Lawyer. 30 September 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Overview". SNR Denton. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Client Demand for Greater Global Presence Pushes More Law Firm Mergers". ABA Journal. 1 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Denton Wilde Sapte". Legal Week. 14 December 2009. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Amid Downturn, Law Firm Sonnenschein Scales Up". Bloomberg Businessweek. 29 January 2009. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Sonnenschein, Denton Wilde To Merge". American Lawyer. 26 May 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "SNR Denton signs up Hammonds' Hong Kong arm for local launch". The Lawyer. 4 January 2011. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "SNR Denton and Salans prepare to seal three-way deal with Canada's FMC". The Lawyer. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "SNR Denton prepares for mega-merger". The Washington Post. 11 November 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "Salans, SNR and FMC approve three-way merger after partner votes". The Lawyer. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- "SNR Denton enters into association with Kuwait's Jamal Ahmed Al-Shehab". The Lawyer. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "New-look Dentons to go live on 28 March - and 2 April". The Lawyer. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Services". SNR Denton. Retrieved 2 December 2012.