||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
SORA (Security Officer Registration Act) is a standardized Security guard training program that has become law in the state of New Jersey (since 2007 ). This law now requires security practitioners to register, receive state regulated training, and a background check to work as a security guard in New Jersey.
Guard Training is offered by licensed training schools, who must have SORA certified instructors. These instructors must meet the minimum of a 24-hour course for the students and administer a test at the end of the training.
The objectives of the training are to provide training in a variety of subjects directly related to the security and safety of their clients. When an organization considers the safety of its patrons and the business needs of its organization they must consider the training and capabilities of the officers they employ. The knowledge gained through this program offers exposure to fundamental concepts and principles of the security industry.
This course is applicable to all security practitioners as well as former law enforcement personnel tasked with the safety and security for businesses they serve.
The course includes instruction in :
- Homeland Security and Counter Terrorism
- Communications/Emergency Response
- Theft prevention and deterrence
- Limits on The Use of Force
- Detention of suspects & Physical restraint
- Ethics and Professional Conduct
- First Aid / CPR / AED
- Fire Prevention
- Standard Security Company P&P[clarification needed]
- Terrorism Awareness
- Cargo Theft
- New Jersey's Critical Infrastructure Awareness
- Suspicious Letters and Packages
- Suicide bombs, improvised explosive devices and Vehicle borne IEDs (VBIED's)
- Incident Command System
- Report Writing
- Street Gangs
Optional courses some training providers offer during the SORA class include Pepper Spray Defense, Handcuffing and Defensive Driving. 
New Jersey active law enforcement officers can also become SORA certified in order to provide private security.
- New Jersey SORA Act (PDF)
- New Jersey State Police SORA updates
- New Jersey State Police SORA Authorized Training Provider
- NJ SORA Authorized Training Provider
- New Jersey State Police SORA updates Retrieved on 26 June 2007
- "SORA Active Police Officer - Gun For Hire Academy". gunforhire.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.